Clinton: Half of Trump’s supporters fit in ‘basket of deplorables’ (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 11:04:33 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Clinton: Half of Trump’s supporters fit in ‘basket of deplorables’ (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Clinton: Half of Trump’s supporters fit in ‘basket of deplorables’  (Read 6138 times)
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« on: September 10, 2016, 02:55:14 PM »

I agree. She should never have said it. Even though many people here think it's true, think again. Nobody is only one-dimensional. There are many facets to all of us. Hillary should have been more tactful in what she said.

I'm disappointed in Hillary for this.
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2016, 03:18:45 PM »

It's not people who should be put into baskets, but the prejudiced mindsets, the thinking, the concepts. I can't get behind Hillary's statement in any way. She put her foot in this one.

Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2016, 05:48:32 PM »

The reason why the media and many others have indulged in talking about 'e-mails' is that it acts as a welcome white noise machine. It's easier to talk about because it seems so mainstream. It deals with a professional 'misdemeanor' by a professional person. They like talking about it and her not talking about it. It's comfortable. Like a 'Choose Your Own Adventure: Woodward and Bernstein' for journalists.

Turn that noise machine down and you're faced with Trump who you can't debate on usual terms. You can't even interview on usual terms. So yes, they do end up having to 'normalise' his rhetoric and his support base because journalists must be seen to balance, at least on the surface and if not 'balance' give due air to the other side.

But sometimes the other side is dangerous and saying dangerous things. And sometimes that is all that it is. And a free press never, ever knows what to do with that when dangerous ideas become mainstream. Trump is the ultimate GOP chimera; a beast made up of all the worst, most cancerous bits of Republican rhetoric since the Gingrich era that have been hurled at the left and at minorities, and used against both Clintons and all Democrats since, sewn together and made flesh.

This is actually the chance for the centre-right to kill that cancer. For the sake of American democracy, for the sake of breaking congressional deadlock and reversing political polarisation, Trump needs to be whipped and pummelled at the polls. 'Trumpism' needs to be flayed open and publicly bleed to death, because only that way can the GOP actually start anew and halt it's rightward drift. Hell it's not even a rightward drift; it's a drift towards the dark corner of conspiracy and innuendo. And for those people, Trump is a useful idiot; a handmaiden of the 'alt-right'. He has to be bloodied at the ballot for the sake of the next few decades of political discourse and in order to make up for the last few.

I appreciate your well-written post. You are a good writer! Smiley

Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2016, 10:08:47 PM »

If I was advising Clinton, I would definitely recommend the high road. These comments may play well with the base, but will relegate her to Trump's levels, in the eyes of independents.

I disagree, the more I think about it, the more I think this is a net positive.
We'll have to agree to disagree then. Just don't be surprised that, from now until November, Trump justifies any of his off-the-wall action or speech with this quote from Clinton.

I agree with you, PeteB. I'd rather she take the high road. But then, I'm not in this fight with Trump, and mentally unbalanced as he is, there's no precedent on how to deal with someone like that. Hillary is doing the best she can, I guess.

Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2016, 10:30:36 PM »

If I was advising Clinton, I would definitely recommend the high road. These comments may play well with the base, but will relegate her to Trump's levels, in the eyes of independents.

I disagree, the more I think about it, the more I think this is a net positive.
We'll have to agree to disagree then. Just don't be surprised that, from now until November, Trump justifies any of his off-the-wall action or speech with this quote from Clinton.

There is a weird thing on Atlas, particularly among Democrats that you just need to sit on the high-road and just be the "good guy" and you win. People forget how negative the Obama 12 campaign was. Democrats need a spine and be prepared to fight. No one turned off by Trump's rhetorical is by suddenly going to turn to him because of this. Seriously people.

I'm not worried that people are going to turn to the King of trash because of this. I'm personally looking down the road a bit. Since Hillary is the first female in this fight and will possibly be the first female President, I was hoping she would set a higher standard. Taking the high road has its rewards in the long term and that's what my focus is on.

Getting down and dirty with Trump is no accomplishment.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies