Conflicting derogatory stereotypes about Southerners
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 27, 2024, 09:50:38 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Conflicting derogatory stereotypes about Southerners
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Conflicting derogatory stereotypes about Southerners  (Read 2151 times)
FerrisBueller86
jhsu

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 20, 2005, 11:07:53 PM »

Is it just me, or do the derogatory stereotypes about Southerners contradict each other?

One stereotype of Southerners is that they are Bible-thumping moralists who consider think birth control, abortion, non-procreational sex, homosexuality, and amateur radio antennas are immoral.

The other stereotype of Southerners is dirty, crude people who commit incest and like to have sex with animals.

How on earth can these two stereotypes co-exist?  Bible-thumping moralists have many faults, but incest and sex with animals shouldn't be among them.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2005, 11:11:29 PM »

How on earth can these two stereotypes co-exist?
Here's why: because they're just stereotypes.
Machiavelli
Rookie

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2005, 11:11:56 PM »

That's why we group Southern Traitors into two categories: intolerant religiousites and animal-bangers. Didn't you learn anything from your Union History Textbooks?
Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -3.74, S: -6.96

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2005, 01:38:52 AM »

If one of those stereotypes had to be true, I'd hope it was the second one. They'd do less damage to our national character that way. And that isn't a joke.

The crude backwoods one (Deliverance?) was what they used to be, the first is unfortunately what they are becoming now.

Cletus the Slack-Jawed Yokel says: "I done spraint my elby bone so it goes in the opposity direction."

danwxman

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2005, 02:38:56 AM »

Is it just me, or do the derogatory stereotypes about Southerners contradict each other?

One stereotype of Southerners is that they are Bible-thumping moralists who consider think birth control, abortion, non-procreational sex, homosexuality, and amateur radio antennas are immoral.

The other stereotype of Southerners is dirty, crude people who commit incest and like to have sex with animals.

How on earth can these two stereotypes co-exist?  Bible-thumping moralists have many faults, but incest and sex with animals shouldn't be among them.

Because they are hypocrites.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2005, 02:54:22 AM »

They're members of the Hypocrital party, just like this homophobic gay.

http://www.bluelemur.com/index.php?p=275
Blue Rectangle

Political Matrix
E: 8.50, S: -0.62

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2005, 10:16:51 AM »

Cletus the Slack-Jawed Yokel says: "I done spraint my elby bone so it goes in the opposity direction."
Some folks'll never eat a skunk, but then again some folks'll,
Like Cletus the Slack-Jawed Yokel...
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2005, 11:47:20 AM »

But no one claims cletus is a southerner.  In fact, he is usually referred to either as hillbilly or, as marge says, Hick.  In fact, the subtext of course is that he's from Massachusetts.  And I don't think US people have a monopoly of lowland people making fun of folks from the hills.  It's certainly not an original idea.  In fact, the Hatfields and McCoys both claim scottish ancestry.  No shortage of sheeping jokes about the celtics in the UK. 

Deliverance:  great movie!  "you shore do got a pretty mouth boy."  It's a movie my kayaking buddy and I would refer to every time we got lost in the swamps near columbus.  Ah, good stuff.  Not many hillbillies on the Tombigbee, owing to the lack of hills, but plenty of Deliverance-esque swamps to get lost in.  I always kept my ears open for that cooling dueling guitars riff, but was always disappointed never to hear it.  Maybe one day...
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -1.22

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2005, 11:53:34 AM »

But no one claims cletus is a southerner.  In fact, he is usually referred to either as hillbilly or, as marge says, Hick.  In fact, the subtext of course is that he's from Massachusetts.  And I don't think US people have a monopoly of lowland people making fun of folks from the hills.  It's certainly not an original idea.  In fact, the Hatfields and McCoys both claim scottish ancestry.  No shortage of sheepg jokes about the celtics in the UK. 

And in NM, I've heard Hispanics making redneck jokes about other Hispanics - they actually use the term 'Hispanic redneck'. And none of them are Southerners, so angus' point is further confirmed. Smiley
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2005, 12:00:48 PM »

But no one claims cletus is a southerner.  In fact, he is usually referred to either as hillbilly or, as marge says, Hick.  In fact, the subtext of course is that he's from Massachusetts.  And I don't think US people have a monopoly of lowland people making fun of folks from the hills.  It's certainly not an original idea.  In fact, the Hatfields and McCoys both claim scottish ancestry.  No shortage of sheepg jokes about the celtics in the UK. 

And in NM, I've heard Hispanics making redneck jokes about other Hispanics - they actually use the term 'Hispanic redneck'. And none of them are Southerners, so angus' point is further confirmed. Smiley

Actually, I'm a redneck, and so are many other residents of manhattan, what with the profusion of short haired white folk who ride bicycles and jog in the park on sunny days.  Redneck hispanics?  Now that's a stretch.  You gotta figure most hispanics are of mixed european and native stock, and the melanin precludes redness of the neck.  Not that the skin doesn't still get damaged by the sun, it just appears dark brown, rather than red, don't you think?
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2005, 12:05:12 PM »

Not many rednecks in Pennsylvania, Alabama, or SoCal, I understand.  Presumably the mullet precludes the neck sunburn as well.  n'est ce-pas?

Actually, the mexi-mullet is a fine, fine mullet.  Black and bold, thick and heavy, like a lion's mane, but much darker and richer.  And when they don't have a mullet, they're usually wearing a wide-brimmed cowboy hat, which also blocks the sun.  I'm just not seeing it, hoss.
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -1.22

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2005, 12:34:19 PM »

Actually, I'm a redneck, and so are many other residents of manhattan, what with the profusion of short haired white folk who ride bicycles and jog in the park on sunny days.  Redneck hispanics?  Now that's a stretch.  You gotta figure most hispanics are of mixed european and native stock, and the melanin precludes redness of the neck.  Not that the skin doesn't still get damaged by the sun, it just appears dark brown, rather than red, don't you think?

There are Hispanics here with whiter skin than mine. Wink I see your point, although this is of course all about stereotypes, not facts. Smiley
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2005, 12:36:48 PM »

and amateur radio antennas are immoral.

Who the hell would think amature radio antennas are immoral? I hope you are joking or have some cites..either that or you know what to do... (STFU KTHX). Smiley
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies