Democrats Only-Should we get rid of Harry Reid
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 07:25:42 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Democrats Only-Should we get rid of Harry Reid
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Well?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 27

Author Topic: Democrats Only-Should we get rid of Harry Reid  (Read 1193 times)
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 06, 2007, 05:01:27 PM »

I say yes, and replace him with Chuck Schumer
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.25, S: -2.72

« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2007, 06:18:38 PM »

In a perfect world, Russ Feingold would be majority leader and all Democrats would vote like him. But I know that'll never happen, he is too independent and much too populist to get a real leadership position.

Harry Reid has been a disappointment.
MAS117
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2007, 06:57:10 PM »

I don't necessarily love Harry Reid, and probably wouldn't mind a different Majority Leader, I don't know if I want Chuck Schumer in that position.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2007, 06:58:53 PM »

Yep.  Just about anyone would be more effective.
MAS117
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2007, 07:00:02 PM »

I think Dodd would make a good Majority Leader after the P08 election. I would also like to see Jim Webb in a leadership role.
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2007, 07:15:17 PM »

Dodd would be pretty good.

Schumer wouldn't be much better than Harry Reid, he is much too close to Wall St. and big business to do much for working people.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2007, 10:25:42 PM »

In a perfect world, Russ Feingold would be majority leader and all Democrats would vote like him. But I know that'll never happen, he is too independent and much too populist to get a real leadership position.

Harry Reid has been a disappointment.

Agreed!
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -5.22

P
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2007, 02:25:57 AM »
« Edited: November 07, 2007, 10:31:02 PM by Ogre Mage »

Given that he hasn't even had a full year as majority leader, I would say dumping Reid at this point is premature, though his tenure thus far has been disappointing.  One can only do so much with a 51-49 majority given that you need 60 votes to stop a filibuster and there is an adamantly uncooperative President in the White House.

The challenge is to find a leader who can build consensus.  I am not sure if that is Harry Reid.  Unfortunately, it surely is not Russ Feingold.  His reputation is one of high ethics but he reportedly doesn't work well with others.  Schumer would have an advantage insofar as many are indebted to him guiding the DSCC to victory in 2006.  He is also a huge camera hog, not sure if that is a plus or minus.

Technically, however, the second-in-line to succeed Reid would be the Majority Whip, Sen. Richard Durbin of Illinois.  Any opinions on him?

Undisguised Sockpuppet
Straha
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

Political Matrix
E: 6.52, S: 2.00

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2007, 10:40:20 AM »

We should recruit Lincoln Chaffee or Ron Paul and make them majority leader.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2007, 02:57:09 PM »

We should recruit Lincoln Chaffee or Ron Paul and make them majority leader.

Ron Paul is a broken clock who happens to be right on a couple of issues.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2007, 03:30:14 PM »

Well, he certainly hasn't helped the Democratic cause this year.  Unfortunately, Durbin probably wouldn't be a good selection either.  You might want to reach further down into the group to find an individual that thinks before speaking, and can work well with the Republicans and can encourage compromise, rather than automatically going to battle over whatever little piece of legislation that pops up.
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2007, 03:51:55 PM »

and can work well with the Republicans and can encourage compromise, rather than automatically going to battle over whatever little piece of legislation that pops up.

Reid compromises on everything. It's almost like the Republican still being in power. The guy has shown very little backbone as Majority Leader.

Dick Dubrin would be much better, I think he's on the best Democrats in the Senate.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2007, 04:09:53 PM »

and can work well with the Republicans and can encourage compromise, rather than automatically going to battle over whatever little piece of legislation that pops up.

Reid compromises on everything. It's almost like the Republican still being in power. The guy has shown very little backbone as Majority Leader.

Dick Dubrin would be much better, I think he's on the best Democrats in the Senate.

It might seem that way, but he really doesn't.  What he lacks is the ability to convince the party not to vote with the Republicans, and he definitely doesn't have the ability to inspire Republicans to support his measures.  He is almost a ship adrift without a sail.  Durbin would have been a good choice 15 years ago, but he has since then let his mouth get him into too much trouble and has become a polarizing agent.  If I had to choose someone, I think someone like Obama would do well, but only if he had more experience in the Senate to sway the older crowd.  You don't have to bend over backwards on issues in order to come up a compromise between the two parties.  Both parties want what's best for the country in the long run, and only the means to get there is what trips them up.  By narrowing their focus on the individual pieces of legislation, more can get done quickly and cleanly, without compromising morals nor ideals.  Reid can't do that, nor can Durbin.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2007, 06:14:00 PM »

Chris Dodd would make a good Majority Leader, as would Schumer. Jim Webb or Obama might make good ones in a couple years
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2007, 07:46:56 PM »

I want someone who isn't a loose cannon, and who won't be attacked from the right.  I wouldn't say no to having an elder statesmen as Leader.  Someone like Daniel Inouye (Hawaii), Carl Levin (Michigan), Patrick Leahy (Vermont), or Ted Kennedy (Massachusetts) as Leader.  It is also important that we have someone from a safe state, so they won't need to campaign a lot.  That's why the above people would be great, and so would Schumer.  Except for Michigan, every state is a hard-core Democratic state, and being the Democratic Leader would insure reelection in those states.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P

« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2007, 01:20:54 AM »

The way he turned into a corporate sellout on the tax reform bill certainly moves me closer to saying yes.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2007, 01:33:54 AM »

One of the problems with our Senate leaders, both Reid and Daschle before him, is that they both came from red states, and thus need to keep some semblance of moderation/centrism to assure their own re-elections. However, it does no good when the leader of the Democratic party is stressing centrism, while the Republicans are stressing far-right stances on issues. We need a Majority Leader who is a progressive and will present the progressive side of the issue, safe with the knowledge that his left-leaning constituents will support him.
Undisguised Sockpuppet
Straha
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

Political Matrix
E: 6.52, S: 2.00

« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2007, 08:35:55 AM »

We need a libertarian majority leader and we need to shut the left out of the democrat party permanently.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies