School Vouchers? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 12:54:04 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  School Vouchers? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: School Vouchers?  (Read 3629 times)
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« on: November 22, 2013, 10:40:38 PM »

Support. Parents (and children who agree with their parents) should be able to choose what kind of schools their children go to easier. It's about choice to me. If there are schools known for teaching creationism, then they shouldn't attend those schools. Education should also be less nationalized then it is now.

I do think that people should be able to choose what school they can go to, like the Colorado program, but this shouldn't include charter schools. If we allow schools to teach creationism, the right-wing religious cores will remain uneducated about science issues.

I do agree with you, I think Evolution should be taught and creationism shouldn't be taught. But that's not my decision, that's the school boards decision. I honestly think teaching creationism is bad form, but I think also that some parents want their children taught creationism, and that's their choice. 

(Plus, the religious right would go crazy if the teachings of creationism were just abolished)
That's not the school board's decision.  That's the constitution's decision.  If you want to learn about religion, go to Sunday School.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2013, 12:32:47 AM »

I oppose them. Its not fair for students moving to transition to a completely different curriculum.
You realize that school voucher programs would be voluntary, right?

I also don't want to risk allowing schools to teach creationism.
Maybe don't give funds to creationist schools?

Also, how about a poll?
Vouchers would be hard in my state because of this in the state constitution:

Section 1. Uniform system of public schools.
The stability of a republican form of government depending mainly upon the intelligence of the people, it is the duty of the legislature to establish a general and uniform system of public schools. The legislature shall make such provisions by taxation or otherwise as will secure a thorough and efficient system of public schools throughout the state.

Sec. 2. Prohibition as to aiding sectarian school.
In no case shall any public money or property be appropriated or used for the support of schools wherein the distinctive doctrines, creeds or tenets of any particular Christian or other religious sect are promulgated or taught.

The good people of my state had the foresight in 1858 to put a stop to this voucher BS.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2013, 05:27:46 PM »

It takes parents who care and kids who can be good influences out of schools that need them.
Even if a kid can be a good influence, I still think that they should at least have the option of transferring to a better school. A school with kids of mixed academic backgrounds has it merits, but I still think that high-performing kids should at least have the opportunity to choose the school that best allows them to meet their potential.
Their potential could be met even in local schools if we provided the necessary funding for programs that offer challenging curriculum for the smart kids.

What you advocate is just taking the cream off the top.  Cream for you... skim milk for everybody else.

As for funding:  it should be reformed.  Here in Minnesota they first reformed the funding for public schools back in 1971 and subsequently in 2001 that allowed the state to take over the majority of funding.  My local school district receives roughly 80% of its funding from the state with federal funds contributing around 10% and local funding making up the rest.

Basically the state provides funding on a per pupil basis.  Federal funds are generally tied to specific programs.  And while school districts do have some power to raise funds from property taxes... most of this funding must be approved by voters through a levy referendum which is based on a per pupil basis. 

My local district has approved a $500 per student levy to pay for all day, every day Kindergarten (which the state will now fund beginning next year), to hire more teachers to lower class sizes, and to maintain and purchase school buses.  Our school district is the size of Rhode Island with 5000 students so transportation costs (which are funded at the state level on a per student, rather than student-mile basis) are always sucking up general fund money that should be used in the classroom.

There is also open enrollment.  If you want to attend a different school than your neighborhood school or even another district... you can.  But transportation becomes an issue and they will only allow for non-resident students if the school has room.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies