Scottish Independence Referendum - 18 September 2014 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 07:18:41 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Scottish Independence Referendum - 18 September 2014 (search mode)
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Scottish Independence Referendum - 18 September 2014  (Read 147504 times)
YL
YorkshireLiberal
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2014, 10:02:59 AM »

Thanks to Clyde1998 for the useful correlations.

Yes, the Catholic thing was mentioned on here at the time (on the results thread, not this one), but it's good to see it confirmed that it appears in the data.  In most areas, of course, we only have authority-level data, but it was also observed in the results thread that in the more local data released by North Lanarkshire council Airdrie was more No than Coatbridge.  (For those who don't know, these are neighbouring towns but Airdrie is very Protestant and Coatbridge very Catholic.)

The socio-economic factors make sense as well; I noticed at the time that in the Glasgow area the middle class suburban districts (East Renfrewshire and East Dunbartonshire) were quite strongly No while the rest of the area tended to Yes.

I think there was a tendency in the media to expect that areas with SNP MPs would be strongest for Yes, but it didn't play out like that (barring Dundee East, I suppose).

Is it the case that:
1. Yes vote is "caused" by low socioeconomic status, in the sense that status pre-existed the vote and there does not seem to be any omitted variable;
2. Catholic districts are correlated with low socioeconomic status;
3. Controlling for 1, Catholic areas would not be significantly more likely to vote Yes
?

We need a logistic regression.

Yep, and figures from smaller areas...

How do Coatbridge and Airdrie compare on things other than religious background?
Pages: 1 [2]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies