Israel-Gaza war
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 03, 2024, 12:10:52 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Israel-Gaza war
« previous next »
Thread note
MODERATOR WARNING: Any kind of inappropriate posts, including support for indiscriminate killing of civilians, and severe personal attacks against other posters will not be tolerated.

Pages: 1 ... 274 275 276 277 278 [279] 280 281 282 283 284 285
Author Topic: Israel-Gaza war  (Read 191952 times)
afleitch
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6950 on: April 23, 2024, 02:52:15 AM »

Not sure how its so dumb to sanction the British police officer yesterday who threatened to arrest a man for wearing a Jewish Kippah? Isn't that a human right?

You might want to update yourself on that story.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #6951 on: April 23, 2024, 02:53:27 AM »

This threads been slowing down lately, why is that? Any updates that I’ve missed?

This

CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #6952 on: April 23, 2024, 06:43:10 AM »

Not sure how its so dumb to sanction the British police officer yesterday who threatened to arrest a man for wearing a Jewish Kippah? Isn't that a human right?

You might want to update yourself on that story.

It was certainly one of the most predictable things ever that there would turn out to be rather more to Mr Falter than we were told initially.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #6953 on: April 23, 2024, 07:33:04 AM »
« Edited: April 23, 2024, 09:39:40 AM by Meclazine for Israel »

Israel and USA now using A.I. to identify human targets in Gaza.

The USA and Israel have a new technology to introduce terrorists into their Kill Chain.

A Kill Chain is Find, Fix, Track, Target, Engage, Execute, Assess.

Several of these functions can now be handed over to A.I. using both US and Israeli technologies currently deployed in the field.

Let's take a Hamas operative. Let's call him Kevin. His face shape and details are entered into an algorithm.

The Israeli's call this algorithm "Lavender" utilising drone technology and existing meta-data systems. The US have collected bucket loads of data flying drones above Gaza.

https://www.972mag.com/lavender-ai-israeli-army-gaza/

"The sources said that the approval to automatically adopt Lavender’s kill lists, which had previously been used only as an auxiliary tool, was granted about two weeks into the war, after intelligence personnel “manually” checked the accuracy of a random sample of several hundred targets selected by the AI system. When that sample found that Lavender’s results had reached 90 percent accuracy in identifying an individual’s affiliation with Hamas, the army authorized the sweeping use of the system."

Lavender has identified 10's of thousands of Palestinians and used known home addresses etc.

The number of people reported killed in airstrikes can be excessive with dumb bombs, hence pinpointed missiles were used on senior Hamas Commanders and Militants, but these were expensive.

A new system was needed.

Israeli soldiers stand on the Israeli side of the Israel-Gaza border surveying the Palestinian territory on 30 March. Photograph: Amir Cohen/Reuters

Once Kevin is identified with a fix, another algorithm called "Where's Daddy?" then takes over and tracks Kevin never losing trace from his previous position. This is achieved by tracking his relatives and friends as well. Once Israel have enough information from the data collected, Kevin is eliminated.

The US have developed an analogous system called "Project Maven". Google employees protested against this system a few years ago and the contract was not renewed.

https://www.engadget.com/the-pentagon-used-project-maven-developed-ai-to-identify-air-strike-targets-103940709.html

A ball of fire and smoke rises during Israeli airstrikes in the Gaza Strip, October 9, 2023. (Atia Mohammed/Flash90)
Open Source Intelligence
United States
« Reply #6954 on: April 23, 2024, 07:47:19 AM »
« Edited: April 23, 2024, 08:20:17 AM by Open Source Intelligence »

The USA and Israel have a new technology to introduce terrorists into their Kill Chain.

A Kill Chain is Find, Fix, Track, Target, Engage, Execute, Assess.

Several of these functions can now be handed over to A.I. using both US and Israeli technologies currently deployed in the field.

Let's take a Hamas operative. Let's call him Kevin. His face shape and details are entered into an algorithm.

The Israeli's call this algorithm "Lavender".

https://www.972mag.com/lavender-ai-israeli-army-gaza/

Lavender has identified 10's of thousands of Palestinians and used known home addresses etc. Once trialed, the number of people killed in an airstrike was excessive, so the algorithm was used only for identification.

A new system was needed.

Israeli soldiers stand on the Israeli side of the Israel-Gaza border surveying the Palestinian territory on 30 March. Photograph: Amir Cohen/Reuters

Once Kevin is identified with a fix, another algorithm called "Where's Daddy?" then takes over and tracks Kevin never losing trace from his previous position. This is achieved by tracking his relatives and friends as well. Once Israel have enough information from the data collected, Kevin is eliminated.

The US have an analogous system called Project Maven. Google employees protested against this system a few years ago and the contract was not renewed.

https://www.engadget.com/the-pentagon-used-project-maven-developed-ai-to-identify-air-strike-targets-103940709.html

A ball of fire and smoke rises during Israeli airstrikes in the Gaza Strip, October 9, 2023. (Atia Mohammed/Flash90)

Must suck to be Kevin's brother or son.

Police state implications of all this by the way are...amazing. I'm also wondering what is going to be the argument the Americans will use on how evil this is when the Russians or Chinese or someone else use it against people we like.
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6955 on: April 23, 2024, 09:48:55 AM »

-snip-

Police state implications of all this by the way are...amazing. I'm also wondering what is going to be the argument the Americans will use on how evil this is when the Russians or Chinese or someone else use it against people we like.

Yes, this is terrifying. How is it even possible to have a democracy if the state has these powers which it can deploy against dissent?
Open Source Intelligence
United States
« Reply #6956 on: April 23, 2024, 10:37:45 AM »

-snip-

Yes, this is terrifying. How is it even possible to have a democracy if the state has these powers which it can deploy against dissent?

Want to see it criminalized, just start following politicians around.

Once the Senator is identified with a fix, another algorithm called "Where's Daddy?" then takes over and tracks the Senator never losing trace from his previous position. This is achieved by tracking his relatives and friends as well.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #6957 on: April 23, 2024, 06:45:33 PM »

The next phase is to hand over execution to the drones.

You send out 10 drones, all with small arms. Half flying around and above Kevins last known location, half back at base charging. You have a continuous loop tracking the guy.

They simply float around and follow the target until he enters open space.

Kevin then re-assesses his short term goals in life.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #6958 on: April 23, 2024, 06:58:51 PM »

The next phase is to hand over execution to the drones.

You send out 10 drones, all with small arms. Half flying around and above Kevins last known location, half back at base charging. You have a continuous loop tracking the guy.

They simply float around and follow the target until he enters open space.

Kevin then re-assesses his short term goals in life.

The idea that AI is being used ti target individuals should terrify people.
Open Source Intelligence
United States
« Reply #6959 on: April 23, 2024, 08:39:39 PM »

I don't think it's terrifying at all.  I think you guys are being hysterical because you are sympathetic to the targets (allegedly, Hamas terrorists, but I'm sure you think they're innocent civilians).

Yeah I'm clearly a terrorist.

But no problem if a person goes all OSINT on you? Asking for a friend.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6960 on: April 23, 2024, 08:52:21 PM »

I knew Google's woke AI had uses. Happy that I invested in it !
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #6961 on: April 23, 2024, 09:03:33 PM »
« Edited: April 23, 2024, 09:08:45 PM by GoTfan »

I don't think it's terrifying at all.  I think you guys are being hysterical because you are sympathetic to the targets (allegedly, Hamas terrorists, but I'm sure you think they're innocent civilians).

If this kind of tech was used to track down and kill Osama bin Laden, we would probably all think it was awesome.

It almost certainly has been used to track down and kill the leaders of ISIS and other terror organizations that would have mass-slaughtered civilians in the Middle East if not deleted by the United States of America.

The name "Where's Daddy", assuming it's an accurate translation from Hebrew, is a poor one.  I get the idea that it's supposed to be about using children to track the locations of their parents, but it conjures up this image of a child crying "where's my daddy?" and an IDF soldier responding "ha ha daddy's not coming home anymore because we droned him".  This is typical of the Israeli government's endemic failure to understand the consequences of bad PR.  But we are talking about a government whose official state social media profiles often sound like the Wendy's twitter account.

I am not, and never have been, a terrorist sympathiser. I'm getting tired of repeating that.
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6962 on: April 23, 2024, 09:16:45 PM »

I don't think it's terrifying at all.  I think you guys are being hysterical because you are sympathetic to the targets (allegedly, Hamas terrorists, but I'm sure you think they're innocent civilians).

If this kind of tech was used to track down and kill Osama bin Laden, we would probably all think it was awesome.

It almost certainly has been used to track down and kill the leaders of ISIS and other terror organizations that would have mass-slaughtered civilians in the Middle East if not deleted by the United States of America.

The name "Where's Daddy", assuming it's an accurate translation from Hebrew, is a poor one.  I get the idea that it's supposed to be about using children to track the locations of their parents, but it conjures up this image of a child crying "where's my daddy?" and an IDF soldier responding "ha ha daddy's not coming home anymore because we droned him".  This is typical of the Israeli government's endemic failure to understand the consequences of bad PR.  But we are talking about a government whose official state social media profiles often sound like the Wendy's twitter account.

Buddy do you really think AI can't make mistakes? Imagine this applies in the US. You could be completely unrelated to the actual target; if the AI makes a mistake you're a dead man.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6963 on: April 24, 2024, 03:25:37 AM »

Buddy do you really think AI can't make mistakes? Imagine this applies in the US. You could be completely unrelated to the actual target; if the AI makes a mistake you're a dead man.

They are using a combination of AI and human intelligence.  The human intelligence is used to identify known terrorists.  The AI is used to track their movements.  AI can also be used to identify people they interact with on a regular basis and flag those as also potential accomplices, who can then be manually checked and tracked both manually and with AI.

We do this in the American military as well.  It's not dystopian.  Palantir developed this tech over a decade ago.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #6964 on: April 24, 2024, 06:30:47 AM »

Do not baselessly accuse people of being terrorist/Hamas sympathisers.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6965 on: April 24, 2024, 08:24:00 AM »

Seems like Israel is going to invade Rafah

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/other/israel-gears-up-for-rafah-civilian-evacuation-ahead-of-promised-assault/ar-AA1nz6po
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #6966 on: April 24, 2024, 08:42:29 AM »

Yes, can't see any potential drawbacks or problems with war mostly conducted by AI.

None at all.

Well done to all the galaxy brains on this thread who are just fine with it.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6967 on: April 24, 2024, 08:51:01 AM »

Yes, can't see any potential drawbacks or problems with war mostly conducted by AI.

None at all.

Not sure if there are likely to be more inaccuracies from human error or algorithm error, TBH.

The best situation would probably be an AI program sorting through mass amounts of data and human eyes giving it the once-over before greenlighting action.
Wiswylfen
eadmund

Political Matrix
E: -2.32, S: 4.17

« Reply #6968 on: April 24, 2024, 09:36:49 AM »

None at all.

Not sure if there are likely to be more inaccuracies from human error or algorithm error, TBH.

The best situation would probably be an AI program sorting through mass amounts of data and human eyes giving it the once-over before greenlighting action.

Yeah that's what already happens. Anyway the system is basically a way to carry out kin punishment while (barely) pretending that it's militarily necessary or whatever.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6969 on: April 24, 2024, 05:16:20 PM »

Interesting, the Scholz gov is extremely pro Israel.

Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6970 on: April 24, 2024, 07:00:38 PM »

That tweet is wildly inaccurate, but essentially Germany basically just said "Evidence isn't quite conclusive enough, so we're resuming funding".
Comrade Funk
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -5.91

P P P

« Reply #6971 on: April 24, 2024, 07:15:22 PM »

Do Israelis on the ground actually understand the severity of their isolation? Do they care or is their media just as bad as ours?
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6972 on: April 24, 2024, 07:39:01 PM »

Do Israelis on the ground actually understand the severity of their isolation? Do they care or is their media just as bad as ours?

Several of Israel's top historical enemies just united to defend it from an air assault after being pressured diplomatically by some of the most powerful countries in the world.
jojoju1998
1970vu
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6973 on: April 24, 2024, 10:12:56 PM »

Not interesting ? Not surprising ? One could argue that Germany is overcorrecting for what happened almost a century ago...
Wiswylfen
eadmund

Political Matrix
E: -2.32, S: 4.17

« Reply #6974 on: April 25, 2024, 03:30:14 AM »
« Edited: April 26, 2024, 03:11:09 AM by afleitch »

That tweet is wildly inaccurate, but essentially Germany basically just said "Evidence isn't quite conclusive enough, so we're resuming funding".

No, Israel lied.
Pages: 1 ... 274 275 276 277 278 [279] 280 281 282 283 284 285  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies