Sam Spade's 2010 Predictions (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 24, 2024, 04:38:49 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Sam Spade's 2010 Predictions (search mode)
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]
Author Topic: Sam Spade's 2010 Predictions  (Read 45435 times)
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #100 on: October 23, 2010, 08:26:06 PM »

Governor
AZ-GOV:  Nice job throwing away the Governor's seat to a politically astute, but stupid, politician, Mr. Obama (even though Goddard probably would have lost anyways).
CA-GOV:  Meg Whitman is done. (IMO)
CO-GOV:  You know, there's probably about a 10% chance Tancredo wins this thing, as scary as that sounds.  See, this is what Crist was trying to do - become the de facto nominee of the party.  Naturally, the tanned one failed.  As noted above, polling in Colorado tends to be a bit questionable, which adds to the general uncertainty.
CT-GOV:  The race is decently close, but note that Malloy tends to be at 48-50 where Foley is at 42-45, which is a lead outside MOE.  Some tightening (and preferably a poll showing Foley ahead) is going to have to occur for me to change the call.
FL-GOV:  It's FL and naturally the polling is literally *all over the place* (because FL polling sucks, you know).  I want to see the last Mason-Dixon before making any call, but if I were to bet now, it would be Scott.  Remember that Scott underpolled in the primary, the state has a natural Republican lean and early voting looks horrendous for Dems (IMO).
GA-GOV:  Deal is a crappy candidate, but given the year and the state, the Republican good ol' boy should beat the Democratic good ol' boy unless even worse things come out about Deal than before.  Polling has been sparse, but I'd like to see Barnes ahead in a poll before reconsidering this call.
HI-GOV:  Hawaii polling sucks.  Badly.  Of course, this is a whitey vs. a Hawaiian, which is probably why the race closed in the first place.  I'm not going to call this race - just wait for the actual results.
IA-GOV:  Sure, Culver is gone.  But this one will probably be closer than the polls say, maybe even single digits.  Think of it as being the opposite of 2008.
IL-GOV:  Unless the polling changes in any monumental way, Brady will win, but narrowly.  State Dems actually care about this race (unlike IL-SEN), so you can already see (and expect) different manuevers.
MA-GOV:  Baker is probably done, but I am less sure of this than CA (or see below).  Mainly b/c there's still a decent chance Cahill is overpolling a bit.
MD-GOV:  Ehrlich is done.  O'Malley is/has been garbage, but it's Maryland.
ME-GOV:  The polling continues to show LePage ahead narrowly, but most of the polling is by questionable orgs.  ME is one of those few states that will actually elect real third parties and Libby Mitchell (and LePage) are just bad enough to let that happen.  Honestly, I have no clue - Maine is not the type of place where I have a good gut feeling for the landscape.
MI-GOV:  No Democrat was going to win this year given voters' opinions of Granholm.  Hate to break it to ya...  Tongue
MN-GOV:  I still think Dayton has the edge, but I'm less sure of here than I was a week ago.  Some poll has to show Emmer up before I even start to think upset, though.
NH-GOV:  If you want to look for an under-the-radar upset that no one will consider possible, watch here.
NM-GOV:  NM is just weird enough for the race to completely turn in the last week without any warning, but it looks to me like Richardson completely destroyed Denish (in his own way).  I want to know what WMS is hearing from west ABQ, of course.
NV-GOV:  Just writing a lol at Harry Reid's son for thinking he could ever win with his father on the ballot.
NY-GOV:  I believe it was in June or so that I pointed out in this year (and also b/c of the candidate), Cuomo was likely to not poll any higher then than the percentage he would get in the GE.  Of course, I also said Paladino could win (lol) and that's turned out right...  Tongue  Actually, he could have won, had he stuck to the message he ended his primary on.  Instead, well, you know,...  He's run perhaps the worst campaign possible.  Watch him still end up with better numbers than Gillibrand's opponent, McCain 2008 and Bush 2004.  Btw, Cuomo's running the particular type of campaign he's doing b/c he wants at least one Republican to win downballot and for the GOP to take over the State Senate.  Just FYI - I'm not blind.
OH-GOV:  Strickland has polled in the 43-45% range for months.  Generally, that = disaster.  Of course, Kasich is a mediocre candidate at best.  And now we have CNN/Time saying he has a 1% lead, but that's just one poll.  I'm in wait-and-see mode, but I'd still be surprised if he pulls it out unless the first fact has suddenly changed and he starts polling in the 48-49% area.
OK-GOV:  Fallin was never going to win by a Brad Henry-2006 type margin, but she was always going to win.  Yawn...
OR-GOV:  Dudley is a crappy candidate.  But OR has been in hyper-partisan mode this election with a Republican lean of a bit and that's why this election has been close (it's also why Schrader may well be a dead duck).  However, historically, in Oregon, Republicans lose these battles, even why hyper-partisan.  Maybe this year will be different, but I wouldn't bet money on it.
PA-GOV:  This race is over.  Don't let anyone make you think otherwise, though it certainly could be a narrow victory, but Corbett is almost certainly (99% or so) going to run ahead of Toomey and with Toomey so close, that means...  This type of result also fits PA historically anyways.
RI-GOV:  The polling in RI sucks.  Badly.  Rasmussen has Chafee up, everyone else has it close or Dems leading.  Who knows...
SC-GOV:  You know, if this year was more Dem-friendly, I suspect Haley could well lose.  Otherwise, it's going to be a rather unimpressive victory, I suspect.
TN-GOV:  Once again, why did all the Dems run away from this race this year?  Btw, Haslem is the type of GOPer who will give the office back to the Dems in 4 years (or 8 years if he wins re-election, probably likely), so don't fret too much, though all the Dem-friendly gerrymanders are gone here next year (may not matter though).
TX-GOV:  Guess White wasn't able to close the deal with those voters tired of Perry.  Why am I not surprised.  Rasmussen has probably got the margin close to right, fyi.
VT-GOV:  I really have no clue who will win here, except that it's probably a toss-up.
WI-GOV:  It's kinda funny to note that both Wisconsin races broke after the primary.  We'll see if that changes, but I suspect not.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #101 on: October 23, 2010, 10:44:28 PM »

KY-SEN:  Repeat after me - the most likely outcome is that Paul wins by 5-10 points.  Second to that is that he wins narrowly - 1-5 points.  Third is that he wins by double-digits.  The chances of Conway winning come after that, but are probably too low for me to count seriously.  The Dems should have nominated Mongiardo, at least they would have had a serious chance at winning.

Do you think the chances of Paul winning are that likely? I think Paul will win, but the polls have been closing up in KY (despite the whole Aqua Buddha ad controversy), and Conway's been hammering at Paul for his support for a $2000 Medicare deductible and a national sales tax. What makes you think that the chances of Conway winning are "probably too low for [you] to count seriously?"

It's Kentucky.  Though probably his chances of winning by more than 10 are only slightly more likely than Conway winning.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #102 on: October 24, 2010, 09:57:12 PM »

House update:  (DEM seats) 15 Gone R, 15 Lean R, 13 Tossup/Tilt R, 14 Pure Tossup, 13 Tossup/Tilt D, 20 Tilt D, 30 Watch List
(GOP seats) 2 Gone D, 2 Pure Tossup, 4 Lean R, 7 Watch List

Observations
1) I'm probably being generous with the Lean Rs.  In general, I think the best in all possible worlds Dems can hope for is -30 seats total.  Right now, my call is for 50-60 seats, and I would be just as surprised if Republicans won over 70 seats total (as with the -30 Dem seats call).  It is highly unlikely, but still possible Dems retain the House.  However, the probability can be placed as no better than Republicans taking the Senate and possibly worse.
2) I think there's at least a 1 in 3 chance that one Dem seat on the Watch List falls.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #103 on: October 25, 2010, 07:09:38 PM »

RCP's methodology is a secret.  Nobody knows. But what RCP does, tends to be followed later by Cook (with Cook having this no incumbent is worse than tossup rule unless caught raping an underage boy while having AIDS), and then Stu finally gets the message. Sabato is too depressed to do much at all.

My guess, is that they are picking up internal poll buzz, and "know" which ones are of good currency, and which are confederate. And like Sam, I am sure that they are watching the money flows like a hawk.

I notice that RCP has IA-1 and 2 as tossups. If those seats fall (particularly IA-2,  which has a high Dem PVI and Iowa City in it (if anyplace still loves Obama outside the hood, it is left wing leaning campuses), I will just amazed, but Sam will say hey, I told you!  Not that Sam is predicting that they will fall as of this moment of course. Tongue

Never predicted they would fall, Torie - rather they were to be watched very closely, that's all...  Tongue
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #104 on: October 27, 2010, 01:28:49 PM »

Couple of changes.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #105 on: October 27, 2010, 10:42:08 PM »

Sam what are you hearing about AZ8.  There have been zero polls since the one showing the two tied.  Most of the prognosticators have been moving (mainly from lean dem to tossup) the race in Kelly's direction.  RCP also notes they think Kelly is ahead.  The only one, and its kind of weird - it must be his model, who keeps moving the race in Giffords direction is Silver.

I hear very little.  DCCC only went back in there a day ago with 300K - they'd been gone since September before.  Waiting to see what NRCC does, btw.  I really don't have a good feel for the CD (lot of moderate Republicans there, as memory serves me), also, but suspect it should be close.

I actually have a good feel for a lot of what I'm seeing and the strategy involved (I need to update the House - just wait there).  I may discuss it post-election if it plays out the way it appears, b/c it might detail some new strategy to watch for in certain elections (provided the methods stay similar to the last few elections).  Yes, this is vague, but there's a point.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #106 on: October 28, 2010, 12:30:36 PM »

I'm working on my final lists and predictions, as we speak.  Some of these races I could place numbers right now, others not...
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #107 on: October 30, 2010, 01:12:56 PM »

Gave some final calls and rankings for a good bit of the easier-to-call Senate and Governors.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #108 on: October 31, 2010, 03:49:31 PM »

I see you've put up your final Congressional predictions.  Did you add any Congressional seats to the lists since 10/25?

Not final predictions, merely final rankings.  Predictions will come later.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #109 on: October 31, 2010, 03:56:24 PM »

Added MA-04, MA-05, NJ-06, OH-10, TN-05, TX-25.  Removed MI-15 and PA-13.

In reality, I could have kept PA-13 on there and added NC-4, NY-9 and WA-6, but I feel like that's too many and the chances of something weird happening there are just simply too low.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #110 on: October 31, 2010, 04:33:43 PM »

If Price falls, the world will end as we know it. It will be interesting to see just how mad the working to middle class Jews in NY-9 really are, a big chunk of them Orthodox. I think that race is a real sleeper, but yes, low odds of really flipping.

Oddly, Charlie Cook recently moved NC-4 to Likely D.  Nothing for NY-9.  Truthfully though, NY-9 has a better chance of flipping than NY-13 - watch.  I will never buy into the hype of a Brooklyn candidate winning in a Staten Island district.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #111 on: November 01, 2010, 09:58:25 PM »

Governor and Senate predictions finalized.  House later.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #112 on: November 02, 2010, 09:24:30 AM »

House predictions finished.  If you notice, I exclamation pointed (!) a situation where Dems lose 53 seats (more conservative polls correct), but right now I'm going with the more audacious prediction of 71 seats total.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #113 on: November 02, 2010, 10:10:28 AM »

Lawyers are just so good at covering their back aren't they?  Tongue

In looking at the list, things were going smoothly (yes, almost all the ones that we chew our nails over seem to be on the list, and when almost all of them are on the list, they do add up don't they?), until we got to the terrible I's (what were you on when you were working on the I's Sam?):

IA-01!
IA-02
ID-01!
IL-08!

Tongue

I see you didn't get tempted by any of Campaign Spot's little surprises.

And then there is MN-8 on your little dead Dems list.  I tend to doubt it (it isn't in Wisconsin alas), but that will be a fun one to watch, and fun to predict as one looks at southern versus northern turnout and swings, with all those little counties within to compare. Hopefully it will keep us in suspense for hours and hours, as BRTD gets blasted!  Smiley

Pity it won't be until tomorrow sometime probably until whether I know whether I won or lost my bet with Memphis over Djou's fate.   It would be great if he won, and shook up the somnolent politics of the place. Hawaii is too boring!

The prediction is based on the supposed wave hitting hardest in the upper Midwest and formerly GOP, now swing Dem, maybe not,... suburbs

I naturally have to predict IA-02 since I was talking about it for months... Tongue

I'm always going to predict a few surprises - they do happen.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #114 on: December 18, 2010, 12:50:36 AM »
« Edited: December 19, 2010, 02:18:42 PM by Sam Spade »

REVIEW OF PREDICTIONS PART 1
(MOE +/-3%)

Alabama
Senate
Prediction:  Shelby (R) 66, Barnes (D) 34
Actual: Shelby (R) 65, Barnes (D) 35 Within MOE
Comment:  Yep.

Governor
Prediction:  Bentley (R) 61, Sparks (D) 39
Actual:  Bentley (R) 58, Sparks (D) 42 Outside MOE
Comment:  Bentley underperformed a little more than I thought he would.  But it's not like this was exactly unsurprising.

House - Ranked Races
Predictions:
AL-02 (to GOP) Correct
Comment: Compared to what else happened in Alabama, Bright overperformed masterfully.  But it still wasn't enough.

Alaska
Senate
Prediction:  Miller (R) 40, Murkowski (WI) 29, McAdams (D) 29, Other 2
Actual:  Murkowski (WI) 40, Miller (R) 34, McAdams (D) 23, Other 2 Outside MOE, WRONG WINNER
Comment:  Wow, what an awful prediction.  McAdams still underran his polling, proving one true fact about Alaska, regardless of circumstances.

Governor
Prediction:  Parnell (R) 60, Berkowitz (D) 35, Other 5
Actual:  Parnell (R) 59, Berkowitz (D) 38, Other 3 Outside MOE
Comment:  In a more easily predictable Alaska race, more predictable results.  

Arizona
Senate
Prediction: McCain (R) 57, Glassman (D) 38, Other 5
Actual:  McCain (R) 59, Glassman (D) 35, Other 6 Outside MOE
Comment:  Not particularly unhappy with this.  McCain was never "that" strong, but
always safe.

Governor
Prediction:  Brewer (R) 55, Goddard (D) 43, Other 2
Actual:  Brewer (R) 54, Goddard (D) 42, Other 4 Within MOE, EXACT MARGIN
Comment:  If only Obama had shut his trap earlier this year...  Goddard still wouldn't have won, of course, but the race would have been competitive at least b/c Brewer is not competent (irregardless of whether you agree with her political beliefs).

House - Ranked Races
Predictions:
AZ-01 (to GOP) Correct
AZ-03* (stays GOP) Correct
AZ-05 (to GOP) Correct
AZ-07 (stays DEM) Correct
AZ-08 (to GOP) Wrong
Comment: Giffords survived, barely.  Quayle ran about a point behind Shadegg 2008, fyi.  When the Dems went hardcore advertising in AZ-07, I suspected the Hispanic turnout would be enough to save Grijalva, and it was (a general message about this election - with the exception of a few important places, there were not that many major turnout gaps that I can detect in comparison with 2008 - just something to keep in mind).  I should've noted this message in other races, though.

Arkansas
Senate
Prediction:  Boozman (R) 58, Lincoln (D) 39, Other 3
Actual:  Boozman (R) 58, Lincoln (D) 37, Other 5 Within MOE
Comment:  I gave Lincoln far too much credit.  She didn't even whiff 40%.

Governor
Prediction:  Beebe (D) 58, Keet (D) 39, Other 3
Actual:  Beebe (D) 64, Keet (D) 34, Other 2 Outside MOE
Comment:  And I gave Beebe far too little credit.  Especially in the face of what happened downballot.  Though the prediction was a bit of an inside joke.

House - Ranked Races
Predictions:
AR-01* (to GOP) Correct
AR-02* (to GOP) Correct
AR-04 (stays Dem) Correct
Comment:  Nothing too strange here.  Ross did hold on, of course.

California
Senate
Prediction:  Boxer (D) 50, Fiorina (R) 46, Other 4
Actual:  Boxer (D) 52, Fiorina (R) 42, Other 6 Outside MOE
Comment:  If you peek under the hood for a moment, you start to realize that California was all about turnout (so was Washington, but that's a long way off).  What's the answer, you ask?  I'm not going to give it to you...

Governor
Prediction:  Brown (D) 51, Whitman (R) 45, Other 4
Actual:  Brown (D) 54, Whitman (R) 41, Other 5 Outside MOE
Comment:  Yep, so Whitman ran behind generic Republican, err... Fiorina, as was obvious since, at latest, September and probably earlier.  Can't say that I didn't warn you here, Torie...  Tongue

House - Ranked Races
Predictions:
CA-03 (stays GOP) Correct
CA-11 (to GOP) Wrong
CA-18 (stays DEM) Correct
CA-20 (to GOP) Wrong
CA-45 (stays GOP) Wrong
CA-47 (stays DEM) Wrong
Comment:  I should have applied what I saw in AZ-07 to CA-20, but the Central Valley is in such bad shape, I didn't.  McNerney barely held on but that does say something about that seat.

Colorado
Senate
Prediction:  Buck (R) 51, Bennet (D) 47, Other 2
Actual: Bennet (D) 48, Buck (R) 46, Other 5 Outside MOE, WRONG WINNER
Comment:  Colorado is not an easy state to poll, and, as thus, one of the key things I always remember is that SUSA has done consistently better in the state than anyone else by far.  So I waited and waited for their last poll, considering their previous one said 47-47 tie.  We never got it.  Taking into account early voting, etc., I said - Buck must have pulled in the undecideds and judged accordingly.  Au contaire.  Nothing changed.  And the gender gap suggests almost crystal clearly to me that the rape issue won it for Bennet.

Governor
Prediction:  Hickenlooper (D) 47, Tancredo (AIP) 45, Maes (R) 6, Other 2
Actual:  Hickenlooper (D) 51, Tancredo (AIP) 36, Maes (R) 11, Other 2 Outside MOE
Comment:  Remember the effect of early voting on late movement in polls.  I didn't.  Smiley

House - Ranked Races
Predictions:
CO-03 (to GOP) Correct
CO-04 (to GOP) Correct
Comment:  Salazar was one where I was always about 3 steps ahead of the brilliant "pundits" this year. (sometime you have to pat yourself on the back).  Markey was dead meat the moment she won.

Connecticut
Senate
Prediction: Blumenthal (D) 54, McMahon (R) 44, Other 2
Actual: Blumenthal (D) 55, McMahon (R) 43, Other 2 Within MOE
Comment:  McMahon probably underperformed a little, like all high-spending candidates do, but not that much and not enough to matter.

Governor
Prediction: Foley 49, Malloy 48, Other 3
Actual: Malloy 50, Foley 49, Other 1 Within MOE, WRONG WINNER
Comment: One of the most important observations about this election was - in states where Dems have a good party apparatus, their voters showed up, eliminating most, if not all, of the enthusiasm gap present in polling that emphasizes such.  Of course, in some places, like the upper Midwest or Arkansas, this didn't really matter.  Not surprising, really.  That's why it's called a wave election.  But along the coasts...

House - Ranked Races
Predictions:
CT-04 (to GOP) Wrong
CT-05 (to GOP) Wrong
Comment:  Bad year with Connecticut.  Al is right about CT-04 - I can't disagree now.  At least I wasn't stupid enough to even think about listing CT-02.  Smiley

Delaware
Senate
Prediction: Coons (D) 53, O'Donnell (R) 43, Other 4
Actual:  Coons (D) 57, O'Donnell (R) 40, Other 4 Outside MOE
Comment:  So O'Donnell was a disaster, but look at her effect down the ballot.  Wowsers.  The prediction sucked, but at least I never thought she'd win.  Tongue

House - Ranked Races
Predictions:
DE-AL* (to Dem) Correct
Comment:  Rather obvious, don't you think...

Florida
Senate
Prediction: Rubio (R) 48, Crist (I) 28, Meek (D) 22, Other 2
Actual: Rubio (R) 49, Crist (I) 30, Meek (D) 20, Other 1 Within MOE
Comment:  Rubio would have won regardless.  Remember April and the posts on the forum...  Smiley

Governor
Prediction: Scott (R) 48.4, Sink (D) 48.2, Other 3.4
Actual: Scott (R) 48.9, Sink (D) 47.7, Other 3.4 Within MOE
Comment: Went against M-D and won!  Btw, I noticed in the primary that undecideds tended to break towards Scott, henceforth the call.

House - Ranked Races
Predictions:
FL-02 (to GOP) Correct
FL-08 (to GOP) Correct
FL-12* (stays GOP) Correct
FL-22 (to GOP) Correct
FL-24 (to GOP) Correct
FL-25* (stays GOP) Correct
Comment:  Most of these races were obvious, but I suspected West would benefit from partisanship this year.  Note that FL-22 best mirrors the national swing from 2008 to 2010, with about a 2-3% Republican bias (which makes sense in Florida)  Also, what were Dems doing down in FL-25? Biggest waste of money, period - that CD always overpolls Dems by a lot.  They would have been better off putting something on FL-12 (still wouldn't have worked).

Georgia
Senate
Prediction:  Isakson (R) 59, Thurmond (D) 38, Other 3
Actual:  Isakson (R) 58, Thurmond (D) 39, Other 3 Within MOE
Comment:  Georgia prediction is easy once you get the turnout right.

Governor
Prediction:  Deal (R) 52, Barnes (D) 43, Other 5
Actual:  Deal (R) 53, Barnes (D) 43, Other 4 Within MOE
Comment:  A retread candidate race where the polling made complete sense.  Rare in this election.  Did Barnes ever get over 43% in any polling, btw?

House - Ranked Races
Predictions:
GA-02 (to GOP) Wrong
GA-08 (to GOP) Correct
GA-12 (stays Dem) Correct
Comment:  I don't need to see the results to say that Bishop must've gotten enough blacks to show up and kept at least a few personal votes from whites.  Not surprised, just thought there wouldn't be enough.

Hawaii
Senate
Prediction:  Inouye (D) 68, Cavasso (R) 27, Other 5
Actual:  Inouye (D) 75, Cavasso (R) 22, Other 3 Outside MOE
Comment:  And here I thought Inouye might underperform a little (he has before).  Oh well.  Anyone who bought the Rasmussen poll was on crack.

Governor
Prediction:  Abercrombie (D) 51, Aiona (R) 47, Other 2
Actual:  Abercrombie (D) 58, Aiona (R) 41, Other 1 Outside MOE
Comment:  I thought the Hawaiian vs. white might make a difference.  Guess I should remember to never trust Hawaii polling.  Smiley

House - Ranked Races
Prediction:
HI-01 (stays GOP) Wrong
Comment:  Close but no cigar.  At least I didn't really bet, like Torie, but if I was going to call IL-08, calling IL-10 for GOP and HI-01 for Dems would make more sense internally.  Which is something in my predictions I've tried to be more careful about this year (and will do so
even more in the future).

a start, more soon...
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #115 on: December 18, 2010, 02:58:58 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I never did understand why everyone thought Giffords was in worse shape than Mitchell.[/quote]

Early on, it appeared that this was correct.  But not towards the end.  If you go by a lot of Al's theories, though, you would have concluded what you did in the first place.

I blame that stupid SUSA poll showing Vidak ahead by 10.[/quote]

Unlike OR-5, I never believed that poll.

I think you mean CT-05 was wrong.[/quote]

I was tempted to predict that the Democrats wouldn't lose a single seat in New England outside of New Hampshire. Fortune favors the bold, I guess.[/quote]

Oops.  You're right.  And a correct analysis of things would have said not to pick seats along the West Coast but rather in the Ohio Valley, where both my pickup of West Virginia early voting and Al's analysis showed massacre incoming.  No one's perfect...  Tongue

I said it before and I'll say it again, anyone who thought they could seriously predict this one was on crack. I ended up guessing the Dems would win it, but that's mostly because Djou would have had to pull in something like a third of Case's voters from the special to win.
[/quote]

If you're going to have a predictions thread, you gotta make predictions!  Smiley
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #116 on: December 19, 2010, 02:30:30 PM »

PART 2

Idaho
Senate
Prediction: Crapo (R) 70, Sullivan (D) 26, Other 4
Actual: Crapo (R) 71, Sullivan (D) 25, Other Within MOE
Comment:  Nothing much to say here. 

Governor
Prediction: Otter (R) 59, Allred (D) 37, Other 4
Actual: Otter (R) 59, Allred (D) 33, Other 8 Outside MOE
Comment:  Not really a bad prediction.

House - Ranked Races
Predictions:
ID-01 (to GOP) Correct
Correct: You could just sense over the last few weeks that Minnick was slowly, but surely, going down.  And he did.

Illinois
Senate
Prediction: Kirk (R) 48, Giannoulias (D) 47, Other 5
Actual: Kirk (R) 48, Giannoulias (D) 46, Other 6 Within MOE
Comment: If Giannoulias would have gotten a couple thousand more votes, my prediction would have been exactly right.  This was always probably the way it was going to end up.  We'll know for sure if it was planned if the G-man gets indicted in 2011.

Governor
Prediction: Brady (R) 48, Quinn (D) 42, Other 10
Actual: Quinn (D) 47, Brady (R) 46, Other 7 Outside MOE, WRONG WINNER
Comment: Just remember that both the Illinois Dems and GOP feared Brady much more than Kirk (in fact, neither side fears Kirk at all - which is part of the reason why he was successful  Smiley).  Anyway, the more I look at things, the more I see how bad a campaign Brady ran.  Quinn ran the same as Giannoulias in most areas (not much variation).

House - Ranked Races
Predictions:
IL-08 (to GOP) Correct
IL-10* (to DEM) Wrong
IL-11 (to GOP) Correct
IL-14 (to GOP) Correct
IL-17 (to GOP) Correct
Comment: Halvorson's complete implosion still surprises me.  Kinzinger ran better than Weller in 2006 (amusingly).  I do want to note that I called Bean (impressive), which means I should have called IL-10 staying GOP also (not impressive).  I can't say that I'm surprised by IL-14, in a GOP wave it was almost always going to fall - them historic GOP areas in a GOP wave (or DEM areas in a DEM wave) are always problems.  I suspect Hare did himself in wrt IL-17.

Indiana
Senate
Prediction:  Coats (R) 56, Ellsworth (D) 41, Other 3
Actual:  Coats (R) 55, Ellsworth (D) 40, Other 5 Within MOE, EXACT MARGIN
Comment:  Ellsworth = epic fail.  But even though Coats is/was not a strong candidate (to put it mildly), I don't any Dem could have won here this year and Bayh would have been, at best, a 50-50 shot to hold on.

House - Ranked Races
Predictions:
IN-02 (to GOP) Wrong
IN-08* (to GOP) Correct
IN-09 (to GOP) Correct
Comment:  Even with what else was going on in the Midwest, Walorski was just still too out there, I suspect.  The third-parties helped, of course.  Donnelly won't be so fortunate come redistricting time, of course.

Iowa
Senate
Prediction: Grassley (R) 61, Conlin (D) 37, Other 2
Actual: Grassley (R) 64, Conlin (D) 33, Other 3 Outside MOE
Comment: While it was quite obvious that Grassley would not do as well as previous iterations, one must never forget how women underpoll in Iowa.  I did.  Tongue

Governor
Prediction: Branstad (R) 55, Culver (D) 42, Other 3
Actual: Branstad (R) 53, Culver (D) 43, Other 3 Within MOE
Comment: One of the things you always remember in Iowa is that even if the partisans are not enthused, the folks in the know make sure they show up in the end (see 2008).  The fact that Iowa is "highly partisan" in a certain weird Midwest way makes this more important than it should be.  Should have remembered that in the House.

House - Ranked Races
Predictions:
IA-01 (to GOP) Wrong
IA-02 (to GOP) Wrong
IA-03 (stays Dem) Correct
Comment:  In earlier times, places like IA-01 and IA-02 would have fallen as seeing potential out-of-the-way problems and attacking them would have not occurred (even with the note above).  Some of the Democrats' heaviest advertising went here in the last few days.  IA-01 almost fell anyways.  IA-03 would have fallen regardless, with a competent candidate.

Kansas
Senate
Prediction:  Moran (R) 68, Huelskamp (D) 28, Other 4
Actual:  Moran (R) 70, Huelskamp (D) 26, Other 4 Outside MOE
Comment:  So Moran got to 70%.  This is an OK prediction, of course.

Governor
Prediction: Brownback (R) 62, Holland (D) 35, Other 3
Actual:  Brownback (R) 63, Holland (D) 32, Other 5 Outside MOE
Comment:  Outside MOE in the prediction, but that's fine here.  Race was over before it began, of course.

House - Ranked Races
Predictions:
KS-03* (to GOP) Correct
Comment: Over when Moore retired.  Moore probably wouldn't have survived anyways, so there.

Kentucky
Senate
Prediction: Paul (R) 56, Conway (D) 44
Actual: Paul (R) 56, Conway (D) 44 Within MOE, EXACT MARGIN, EXACT RESULT
Comment: Called this one exactly from the start...  Smiley

House - Ranked Races
KY-03 (stays Dem) Correct
KY-06 (stays Dem) Correct
Comment:  Chandler barely survived, but a good prediction nonetheless.  Given the circumstances, Yarmuth's performance was quite good.

Louisiana
Senate
Prediction: Vitter (R) 54, Melancon (D) 41, Other 5
Actual: Vitter (R) 57, Melancon (D) 38, Other 3 Outside MOE
Comment: Melancon even underperformed my rather low expectations.

House - Ranked Races
LA-02 (to DEM) Correct
LA-03* (to GOP) Correct
Comment:  Who said that LA-02 would be remotely competitive?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies