RISK Capital II: Finished!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 30, 2024, 02:23:46 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games (Moderator: Dereich)
  RISK Capital II: Finished!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 21
Author Topic: RISK Capital II: Finished!  (Read 60585 times)
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 19, 2007, 05:52:32 PM »
« edited: March 13, 2007, 03:41:42 PM by Joe Republic »

Welcome to a new game of 'RISK Capital'!  Six generals will battle it out to out-maneuver their opponents and capture three 'capitals' while holding their own at the same time; using strategy, smarts, brute strength, and a healthy dose of 'risk'.

The six generals who will be playing in this game are (in alphabetical order): Colin Wixted, Ernest, Lewis Trondheim, MAS117, MHS2002 and Supersoulty.  The winner will be permitted to stay on and defend their championship title in the next game.

There are only a few main differences between this version of RISK and the traditional version, which will be detailed below.

The map

The biggest difference is clearly the map we'll be using.  Instead of 42 territories in the world, our map is based on the 50 states of the US.  This difference has forced a few more rules to change; e.g. the number of initial deployments, the number and layout of the regions, etc.

The red lines signify a border that doesn't already exist between two states.  For clarification, no border exists between Utah and New Mexico and between Arizona and Colorado (the 'Four Corners'), and there is a border between Delaware, New Jersey and Pennsylvania (check a map; it's there).

Here is the map showing the layout and value of the regions (which will be explained later):

Starting the game

The method by which the states and initial battalions will be distributed will be voted on by all players at the start of the game (or even before).  This will be explained fully in the next post.

To begin with, all players will be given 25 battalions each to deploy among their states at the start of the game.  All battalions must be deployed, and each state must contain at least 1 battalion (at all times throughout the game).

Once all battalions have been deployed, the players may select which of their states they want to be their 'capital'.  Choose wisely, because you will not be able to change it later.  That state will remain your capital even if you lose control of the state.

Taking a turn

As in the traditional game, each player's turn is divided up into three stages, which must be performed in order:

1. Reinforcements

Each player will receive a number of battalions equal to their number of states divided by three, rounded to the closest whole number.  A minimum of three battalions is granted even if that formula would equal less than three.  So, for example, if a player controls 11 states, they'll get 4 reinforcements (11/3 = 3.7).

For easy reference:

10 states or fewer = 3 reinforcements
11-13 states = 4 reinforcements
14-16 states = 5 reinforcements
17-19 states = 6 reinforcements
20-22 states = 7 reinforcements
And so on.

Players will also receive a bonus number of reinforcements if they control any of the regions as shown in the map above at this point of their turn.  The number of reinforcements they'll receive depends on which region(s) they control, and those numbers are given in the table in the map itself.

Players may also trade in any sets of cards at this point too.  Cards will be explained in more depth later.  This is the only stage of your turn in which you may trade in cards.

2. Attack

Since this is a message board based game, I've had to employ a slightly different method to ensure that attack phases are performed efficiently and as quickly as possible.  Those who played in or followed the original games I ran should be familiar with it already.

Basically, all you need to do in this stage is post how many battalions you're sending to attack a neighboring state, how many of them you're willing to risk losing before calling a retreat, and how many battalions you want to leave in that state if you conquer it.  On that last part, you'll need to leave a minimum of three battalions there; if you attacked with less than three battalions, then you'll just have to keep however many battalions you used there.  If your attack order is to "do or die", then there will be no retreat and the maximum number of battalions will be left in the conquered state.

You may attack as many states as you want during this stage, or none at all if you wish.  But always remember to leave at least 1 battalion in each of your states at all times.

If you conquer at least one state during this stage, you'll receive one card.  You will not receive any more than one card per turn, unless you destroy an opponent; in which case you receive any cards they were holding as well.

The dice rolls are performed using an online random number generator, found here.  You'll just have to trust me that I'll do it fairly. Smiley

3. Tactical Move

Once you've finished your attack phase, you may perform a tactical move if you wish.  You can move as many battalions as you want from one of your states to one neighboring state (remembering to leave one battalion behind, of course).  You may only perform one tactical move each turn.

Cards

Cards work on exactly the same principle as in the traditional version.  In this version, each card contains a state seal (which represents one state on the map), and a figurine (either an infantryman, cavalry, or cannon).  There is one card for each state (i.e. 50) and two wildcards.

Once you've collected a 'set' of three cards, you may trade them in at your next turn for more reinforcements.  A set of cards can be: three infantrymen; three cavalry; three cannons; or one of each.  The values of the sets will also be voted on by the players at the start of the game, which will be explained in the next post.

On trading in your cards, you'll receive an additional 2 battalions for each card that depicts the seal of a state that you control.  Those battalions will only be placed on that particular state.

The wildcards do not represent any state, and are simply a stand-in figurine in order to make a set of three cards.

Cards are dealt randomly, and the state seal on each one will not have any deliberate connection with states you conquered during that turn.

Your cards will be sent to you by PM, and it is your responsibility to keep them secret.  I'll be keeping a record of who has what card, for organization's sake.

Capitals

As mentioned earlier, your chosen capital may not be changed during the game, even if you lose control of that state.

If any player's army is destroyed, their capital will remain.  It will still be considered one of the three opponents' capitals necessary to win.

If an active army loses control of their capital, they are not 'out'.  They can continue to play and try and recapture their capital.

If, at the end of a turn, one player controls their own capital and three of their opponents' capitals, they have won the game.

Clarifications of rules

I've tried to make sure everything is clear here.  However, if you want me to clarify any of the above rules, I'll be happy to do so. Smiley
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2007, 05:52:52 PM »

Changes since the last game

As you may have noticed, Canada and Mexico are no longer a feature of this game, or any other games in future.

The initial number of deployments for each player has been lowered from 30 to 25.

The bonus reinforcement values of the different regions have been adjusted slightly.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2007, 05:53:10 PM »

First instructions

Okay players, I've received all of your votes for how you want the states to be distributed, and also the system of card values as well.

Half of the states will be divided randomly, and the other half will be claimed one by one.

The values of the cards will remain static, with 3 infantrymen = 4 reinforcements, 3 cavalry = 6 reinforcements, 3 cannons = 8 reinforcements, and one of each = 10 reinforcements.

So without further ado, here's the first map with each player being given four randomly distributed states:

Note that the order of turns has not yet been decided.  That will be determined later.

So the next step is to have you all choose your remaining states.  The way we'll be doing this is fairly quick and simple.  All you need to do is list the remaining unclaimed states in your order of preference.

I'll then go through your lists and grant your highest preferenced (still available) state to you turn-by-turn, starting with a randomly decided player.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2007, 06:32:07 PM »

Vermont
Massachusetts
Rhode Island
Connecticut
New York
Minnesota
Wisconsin
New Jersey
Michigan
Indiana
Alaska
Hawaii
Maryland
Virginia
West Virginia
Nevada
Utah
Colorado
Wyoming
Kansas
Georgia
South Carolina
Alabama
Mississippi
Alabama
Texas

I think that's it.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2007, 06:55:23 PM »

That looks good to me. Smiley

Five more to go.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2007, 10:03:41 AM »

Don't forget to post your lists here and not send them to me by PM. Wink

Michigan
Wisconsin
Indiana
Minnesota
West Virginia
Nebraska
Maryland
Virginia
Arkansas
New Jersey
Mississippi
Hawaii
Alaska
New York
Vermont
Wyoming
Colorado
Nevada
Utah
Texas
South Carolina
Georgia
Alabama
Connecticut
Massachusetts
Rhode Island
MHS2002

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 1.57

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2007, 03:20:59 PM »

New York
Maryland
New Jersey
Virginia
West Virginia
Connecticut
Massachusetts
Vermont
Rhode Island
Arkansas
Texas
Mississippi
Alabama
Georgia
South Carolina
Wyoming
Colorado
Utah
Nevada
Kansas
Minnesota
Wisconsin
Michigan
Indiana
Alaska
Hawaii

MAS117
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2007, 09:59:29 PM »

Texas
Arkansas
Virginia
New Jersey
New York
Alabama
Mississippi
Minnesota
Wisconsin
West Virginia
South Carolina
Georgia
Michigan
Connecticut
Rhode Island
Massachusetts
Colorado
Utah
Wyoming
Nevada
Kansas
Vermont
Indiana
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2007, 05:09:45 AM »

Hawaii
Colorado
Alaska
Nevada
Utah
Wyoming
Kansas
Indiana
Michigan
West Virginia
Virginia
Maryland

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Are my odds of getting any of the other ones really that high?

Beyond that, just randomly give me whatever is left
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2007, 05:42:48 AM »

Are my odds of getting any of the other ones really that high?

Probably not. Smiley
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2007, 12:57:29 PM »

Arkansas
Mississippi
Alabama
Georgia
South Carolina
Virginia
West Virginia
Maryland
New Jersey
New York
Kansas
Wyoming
Alaska
Hawaii
Nevada
Utah
Colorado
Minnesota

That looks like it should be enough.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2007, 01:36:20 PM »

My list includes a reference to "Nebraska". Please read as "Kansas". (Especially since, depending on the order of play and on who gets an extra state, that may or may not be a preference that actually matters.)
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2007, 02:16:49 PM »

Thanks guys.  Ok, here's how your preferences worked out:

The next step is for you all to decide how you want your initial 25 battalions to be deployed, and also where your capital will be.

When deciding where to put your 25 battalions, don't forget to allow for at least 1 to be placed in each state you control.  And when picking your capital, don't forget that you can't change it at a later time, so choose your location wisely.

Please post your deployments and capital selection here.

This stage will also be determining the order of turns as well.  So while those who post first will get to play first, those who post last will be able to strategize their deployments and capital choice based on what the others before them have decided to do.  So the decision is yours. Wink

If a post is edited, the time at which the last edit was made will be used to determine the order of your turn.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2007, 02:47:01 PM »

8 in MN, 7 in OH, 4 in MO, 1 anywhere else. Capital in Michigan.

Aside: How did you determine who'd get an extra state? I'm somewhat puzzled at how I ended up with Wyoming... unless maybe the order in which players got their states was a different one each turn...
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2007, 04:23:14 PM »

2 each in Oregon, South Dakota, Kansas, Arkansas, Mississippi, Florida, and North Carolina
11 in Georgia

Capital in Florida
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2007, 05:59:23 PM »

My capital shall be Hawaii... face it, the rest of you are jealous.

deployments:

Alaska: 4
California: 5
Nevada: 4
Colorado: 5
New Mexico: 4
Hawaii: 1
Nebraska: 1
Kentucky: 1
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2007, 06:55:15 PM »

Aside: How did you determine who'd get an extra state? I'm somewhat puzzled at how I ended up with Wyoming... unless maybe the order in which players got their states was a different one each turn...

The order as it currently appears on the map was not the order that the states were distributed.  I picked a player randomly and just went through the order in which you all posted your lists.  Wyoming was quite low down on your list, but it was the next available state anyway.
MAS117
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2007, 07:53:07 PM »
« Edited: January 21, 2007, 08:34:56 PM by MAS117 »

Capitol: Texas

Texas - 8
Louisiana - 6
Arizona - 6
Virginia - 1
Iowa - 1
Alabama - 1
South Carolina - 1
Delaware - 1

I seem to be screwed here. I wasn't clear about the rules about Capitols. I thought that you would be assigning us Capitols. Nevertheless I will try my best.

MHS2002

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 1.57

« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2007, 08:39:22 PM »

10 in NJ (my capital)
4 in PA, NY
2 in MD, WV
1 in MT, OK, TN
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2007, 09:24:57 PM »
« Edited: January 22, 2007, 04:47:06 PM by Senator Colin Wixted »

8 in Massachusetts
5 in Vermont
5 in Connecticut
1 in Washington
1 in Utah
1 in North Dakota
1 in New Hampshire
1 in Rhode Island
2 in Maine

Maine is my capital.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2007, 07:22:56 AM »

The order as it currently appears on the map was not the order that the states were distributed.  I picked a player randomly and just went through the order in which you all posted your lists.  Wyoming was quite low down on your list, but it was the next available state anyway.
Yeah, I figured that out by now. It also was the last state to be distributed, which certainly helps. Smiley
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2007, 07:32:39 AM »
« Edited: January 22, 2007, 07:37:22 AM by Lewis »

8 in Massachusetts
5 in Vermont
5 in Connecticut
1 in Washington
1 in Utah
1 in North Dakota
1 in New Hampshire
3 in Maine

Maine is my capital.
Now, if you'd just put one unit into Rhode Island as well, we'd be all set. Smiley

Actually... as long as you remove that unit from one of your other states, and don't move any other units around... then that doesn't affect my orders in the slightest.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2007, 07:36:59 AM »

This is The Golden Hour of the Little Flower, with Father Coughlin, broadcasting live from Royal Oak, Michigan...
Union Party volunteers in Minnesota should go canvassing in Iowa more. So many of them that they're evenly distributed between the two states afterwards, please (but cease attacking when there're only four units left in MN).
Union Party volunteers in Ohio have leave to go hunting Supersquirrels in Kentucky, and should refer back to me before deciding on how many of them are to settle there permanently.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2007, 07:16:01 PM »

Good work, guys.  Alright, so here's the first map, and the first turn:

General Lewis Trondheim, it is your turn.  You have 3 reinforcements.

+ [9 states ÷ 3 = 3 reinforcements]
+ [No regions held]
= 3 reinforcements
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2007, 07:17:01 PM »

This is The Golden Hour of the Little Flower, with Father Coughlin, broadcasting live from Royal Oak, Michigan...
Union Party volunteers in Minnesota should go canvassing in Iowa more. So many of them that they're evenly distributed between the two states afterwards, please (but cease attacking when there're only four units left in MN).
Union Party volunteers in Ohio have leave to go hunting Supersquirrels in Kentucky, and should refer back to me before deciding on how many of them are to settle there permanently.

Oh wait, were those your actual orders?! Tongue  Gah, I'll make a start on them later.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 21  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies