in other good news, GMO labeling loses in OR and CO (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 04, 2024, 11:40:44 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  in other good news, GMO labeling loses in OR and CO (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: in other good news, GMO labeling loses in OR and CO  (Read 4607 times)
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« on: November 08, 2014, 09:45:55 PM »

Good.

My problem with the "why not inform consumers?" argument is that there are a ton of pieces of information available about the production of every consumer good.  We have to leave some of them up to supply-and-demand, because otherwise we'd have to have a giant booklet with every consumer good.  The reason GMOs are targeted for labeling is because there's this weird, purist paranoia about them.  We already have a huge proportion of the American population believing they're bad, and cherry-picking them for labeling is just going to increase that baseless fear.  What's the point of spending resources to play into baseless fears, to provide no usable consumer information?

Along those lines, there is also the notion that if something is labelled, it must be important. They don't put the Surgeon General's warning on cigarettes for fun, after all. Someone who is not otherwise paying attention might be misled to think that it means GMOs are cause for concern, because why would they be labelled if they were not?
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2014, 06:55:06 PM »

I hope the right side wins.  The arguments made by idiots who don't want GMO labeling are ridiculous.
FTFY

I don't know if I have seen an issue where the left-wing viewpoint is less tenable. Maybe corporate personhood, but even then I am not sure.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies