NE2: Housing Deregulation Act (Failed) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 07:22:53 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  NE2: Housing Deregulation Act (Failed) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: NE2: Housing Deregulation Act (Failed)  (Read 1331 times)
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« on: April 18, 2014, 10:59:25 PM »
« edited: April 22, 2014, 03:17:21 PM by cinyc »

Housing Deregulation Act
You must be logged in to read this quote.

Sponsor: Rep. Deus naturae

Debate on this bill shall be open for 72 hours, or until around 11:59 PM on Monday, April 21, unless modified or extended.  The sponsor, Rep. Deus, is encouraged to speak on behalf of the bill within the next 36 hours.  If he does not, the bill will not be tabled as there is no other proposed legislation in the queue.

The floor is open for debate.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2014, 06:10:11 PM »

I don't support this.  Nullifying most zoning regulations in one fell swoop is unfair to those who bought houses and property with expectations that they would not be living next to a ten story apartment building.  It isn't even phased in over time to make the transition a bit more feasible. 
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2014, 08:05:35 PM »

Sorry.  I still can't support gutting zoning laws all at once.  Under your proposal, a neighbor can build up to the property line, blocking out the sunlight from side windows.  Under your proposal, a neighborhood of large lot homes could be subdivided into more dense housing without recourse for the people who thought they bought a large lot house in a large lot neigborhood.  It's too radical a change to happen all at once.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2014, 08:30:56 PM »

Deus, how old are you? Because if you've ever rented a house, apartment (or bought one), these kinds of regulations are extremely useful to consumers and to businesses (no one wants to get sued after all).

Houston has no zoning laws and very affordable housing.  But getting rid of zoning laws in places where there already are zoning laws in one fell swoop changes expectations far too quickly.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2014, 11:01:50 PM »

I motion to extend debate for 30 minutes. It seems like there's a slight possibility we might be able to reach something here.

I'll give you 30 minutes until 12:30 AM - but not much more.  It's getting late.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2014, 11:26:08 PM »

I motion to extend debate for 30 minutes. It seems like there's a slight possibility we might be able to reach something here.

I'll give you 30 minutes until 12:30 AM - but not much more.  It's getting late.
Thank you. Are you okay with the current version of the bill?

Also, Representative SWE, are you still opposed to the bill or have the amendments I've made since you initially stated your opposition ameliorated your concerns?

I think I'm going to vote against the bill for the reasons Rep. SirNick mentions.  It simply goes too far in upsetting current zoning laws.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2014, 11:44:51 PM »

The debate period has ended.  It is time to vote on the bill, as amended:

Housing Deregulation Act
You must be logged in to read this quote.

This vote shall remain open for the earlier of 48 hours or when all Representatives have voted.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2014, 02:35:41 PM »

Nay
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2014, 03:17:06 PM »

By a 1-4 vote, the bill fails.

Seeing no proposed legislation in the queue and no time to debate it if there were, I thank the Assembly for another productive session.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies