What is your opinion of John G. Roberts?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 11:09:03 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  What is your opinion of John G. Roberts?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Poll
Question: What is your opinion?
Favorable

Unfavorable

Unsure

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 49

Author Topic: What is your opinion of John G. Roberts?  (Read 4478 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: September 14, 2005, 10:53:30 PM »

He looks like a possible Souter. I'm really really hoping for that.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #51 on: September 14, 2005, 11:11:28 PM »

I had a fairly neutral opinion (surprisingly) but watching the hearings and seeing his unwillingness to answer any questions of substance has moved me to the disapprove column
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #52 on: September 14, 2005, 11:13:12 PM »

The reason why both sides have tended to view Roberts favorably is because in the hearings he comes off as being Souter and Scalia at the same time, depending on which partisan prism you're looking through. 

He says some things that make Republicans happy; he says some things that make Democrats happy, the same thing with libertarians and populists alike.  And when he says whatever he says, it's never in a mean-spirited or contentious way, so we really want to believe him. (look at Bork for the opposite of that persona)

It's now quite easy to see how he was so successful in arguing cases before the Supreme Court.  Not only is he open-minded and very congenial, but he is also able to couch an argument or a response in terms and language that can be understood be others without appearing to be talking down to them.

Quite frankly, I've never seen a nominee to the Supreme Court make Senators look as petty and insignificant as he has these past couple of days.  It's actually rather amusing to see him run rings around all of his inquisitors consistently in every facet of the legal profession.

I, unlike other people on this forum, am not going to make predictions on how he will judge or how he will fall on the legal issues of the day.  I have my own (probably accurate) suppositions on that through what I've seen of him.

However, it seems clear that he will be an influential voice, one who can, and I believe will, lead the court in whatever direction he wants to take it.
ATFFL
Junior Chimp
« Reply #53 on: September 14, 2005, 11:13:24 PM »

I had a fairly neutral opinion (surprisingly) but watching the hearings and seeing his unwillingness to answer any questions of substance has moved me to the disapprove column

I take it you likewise disapproved of Ruth Bader Ginsburg?
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #54 on: September 14, 2005, 11:17:00 PM »

As a matter of fact i did.
Sorry Tongue
ATFFL
Junior Chimp
« Reply #55 on: September 14, 2005, 11:20:00 PM »

As a matter of fact i did.
Sorry Tongue

Just making sure.  I actually figured you probably did take that position since you are usually consistent.  If you were going to break it, though, it probbaly would be based on sex, since those issues tend to be hot button for you.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #56 on: September 14, 2005, 11:34:10 PM »

I see no indication that he's Souter. He seems more like a cross between John Marshall Harlan II and William Rehnquist.
Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -3.74, S: -6.96

« Reply #57 on: September 15, 2005, 12:20:55 AM »

This obsession with Ruth Ginsburg is really starting to get annoying. Why are they mentioning her every 3 minutes in the hearings and here? When did she become the most important aspect in Supreme Court History? If the GOP has a problem with her ACLU past they should've done something 12 years ago instead of whining her name constantly now.

Joe Biden's combative exchange today, Sam Spade's post and other events have slightly dampened my enthusiasm for Judge Roberts. But as I said previously, anyone to the left of Scalia is fine by me.

Did anyone notice Tom Coburn crying yesterday? I'm not making fun of him but what the hell was that about?! I was unsure if he was crying on C-SPAN but then Jon Stewart had it on his show.
AuH2O
YaBB God

« Reply #58 on: September 15, 2005, 01:56:15 AM »

Actually in a personal conversation after the hearing Biden said Roberts was the best judicial nominee he had seen in his whole career. It's all show.
ATFFL
Junior Chimp
« Reply #59 on: September 15, 2005, 08:35:51 AM »

This obsession with Ruth Ginsburg is really starting to get annoying. Why are they mentioning her every 3 minutes in the hearings and here? When did she become the most important aspect in Supreme Court History? If the GOP has a problem with her ACLU past they should've done something 12 years ago instead of whining her name constantly now.

Joe Biden's combative exchange today, Sam Spade's post and other events have slightly dampened my enthusiasm for Judge Roberts. But as I said previously, anyone to the left of Scalia is fine by me.

Did anyone notice Tom Coburn crying yesterday? I'm not making fun of him but what the hell was that about?! I was unsure if he was crying on C-SPAN but then Jon Stewart had it on his show.

Justice Ginsberg created the modern "I can't comment on cases that may someday come before the court" defense.  Many of the Democrats on the panel that are currently telling Roberts that he should answer any and all questions they pose are the same ones who told Ginsberg she should not answer any questions she felt uncomfortable answering.  We're hearing all about her as Republicans on the panel rub this in teh nose of the Democrats on the panel who, if in the room sources are to be believed, are admitting off camera that they are being monster hypocrites on this.

Sam makes an excellent point.  The Roberts' Court will truly be the Roberts' Court as he will likely bring Kennedy with him in most cases.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #60 on: September 15, 2005, 01:37:05 PM »

Sam makes an excellent point.  The Roberts' Court will truly be the Roberts' Court as he will likely bring Kennedy with him in most cases.

Yep.  That's one thing Rehnquist really didn't use as much as many other Chief Justices have, ie, his power to influence people and decisions. 

So, in a sense, it became the Kennedy-O'Connor court.

Roberts is a totally different man, and as far as he appears to be in these hearings and otherwise, he will use his CJ power to influence people and decisions.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #61 on: September 15, 2005, 01:39:43 PM »

Rehnquist sometimes voted with the majority when he disagreed with them just so he could write the opinion and limit its effect as precedent.
Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -3.74, S: -6.96

« Reply #62 on: September 15, 2005, 02:06:15 PM »

Justice Ginsberg created the modern "I can't comment on cases that may someday come before the court" defense.  Many of the Democrats on the panel that are currently telling Roberts that he should answer any and all questions they pose are the same ones who told Ginsberg she should not answer any questions she felt uncomfortable answering.  We're hearing all about her as Republicans on the panel rub this in teh nose of the Democrats on the panel who, if in the room sources are to be believed, are admitting off camera that they are being monster hypocrites on this.

I thought all prospective court nominees declined to answer questions, does that mean that before Ginsberg they were totally open about their feelings? I doubt it, everything was much more collegial back then.

You're right about the Republicans having fun with Dem testimony from 12 years ago, like last night when Biden was really tough on Roberts and then Kyl quoted Biden from the Ginsberg nomination as saying "You don't have to answer all questions". Ouch!
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #63 on: September 15, 2005, 02:46:57 PM »

When does he get a floor vote?

I want to see the next nominee.
ATFFL
Junior Chimp
« Reply #64 on: September 15, 2005, 03:06:13 PM »

I thought all prospective court nominees declined to answer questions, does that mean that before Ginsberg they were totally open about their feelings? I doubt it, everything was much more collegial back then.

You're right about the Republicans having fun with Dem testimony from 12 years ago, like last night when Biden was really tough on Roberts and then Kyl quoted Biden from the Ginsberg nomination as saying "You don't have to answer all questions". Ouch!

No, they were not totally open about all their feelings and opinions, but they did answer reasonable questions, discuss their record while refusing to speculate about future votes.  Roberts, for the most part,  returned to that earlier position.  It was generally understood that a potential justice would not comment on cases likely to come before the Court and faced relatively few questions in that vein.

Ginsberg took it to a whole new level.  She avoided comment on just about anything.  I think at one point she refused to say where she got her hair done, but that may just be apocryphal.

O'Connor was one of the most open justices during her hearings.  That is why you hear some of the Dems pushing him to be more like her.

Everyone in politics for as long as some of those Dem Senators is going to have made a few statements that can be seen as contradictory.  But to get people say the exact opposite in the exact same situation is really just a gift that keeps on giving.

A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #65 on: September 16, 2005, 07:19:15 AM »

When does he get a floor vote?
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #66 on: September 16, 2005, 07:50:05 AM »

I think it's Thursday next week.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #67 on: September 16, 2005, 09:39:20 AM »

It was favourable before the hearings and it's even more favourable now

When Roberts said he wasn't an ideologue that's good enough for me and were I a Democratic senator, I'd vote to confirm him. I hold men to their word and woe betide those who don't keep it!

Various groups have opposed GOP nominees to the SCOTUS for what seems like just for the sake of it. In case any one hasn't noticed all serving justices bar Ginsburg and Freyer were nominated by Republicans and most of them (Scalia and Thomas aside) have not proved to be reactionary ideologues

The court shifted right under Rehnquist but under Roberts I doubt it would shift any further in that direction. Of course, much will depend on who Bush nominates to replace O'Connor. Roberts is probably moderate enough to keep most folk happy bar the loony lefties and rabid righties

Dave
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies