Intelligent design belongs in Church not Biology class. (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 02:11:48 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Intelligent design belongs in Church not Biology class. (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Intelligent design belongs in Church not Biology class.  (Read 15188 times)
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

« on: September 20, 2015, 09:29:12 AM »

I've always been puzzled about the contention that theories of "intelligent design" are somehow absent from public schools.  They're not.  They are taught in classes on Religious Studies, Philosophy, History, Literature, Mythology, Anthropology, and other subjects too.  I have also heard glancing reference made to intelligent design theory in public university science classes I took as an undergrad.  That it's generally avoided in science classes has more to do, I'd guess, with the factor that it's not really a testable hypothesis; it can't be empirically verified like other hypotheses are verified by experiment.  We can't push it into the realm of the empirical by either inferences based on mathematics or on holes in our current state of knowledge.  Astronomically unlikely probabilities really don't prove anything, because astronomically improbable things do happen from time to time.  And the "God of the gaps" approach tends to lose ground over time as more gaps in our knowledge are actually filled in.  The "intelligent design" theory, however it may be construed, is really either a philosophical position or a matter of faith, and in those capacities, it's well-represented in American public schools.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies