Do you have any regrets? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 06, 2024, 05:36:16 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Do you have any regrets? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Do you have any regrets?  (Read 5181 times)
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« on: December 06, 2016, 07:12:25 AM »

No.

First of all I'm still glad Bernie didn't win the primaries because too many his followers were nuts. A lot of them weren't even progressive except on the surface, they were simply attracted to Bernie-as-alternative-to-Hillary and Bernie-the-personality. In a way, they were just as insane as the Trump supporters. They were even more prone to conspiracy theories than Trump supporters, if anything. Had he won, we would have had a surface progressivism hiding regressivism beneath the surface. Also, the progressivism of 2015/2016 was not appealing to me -- actually, I was getting pushed to the right by the SJW nonsense. It seems like the lesser threat now, but when I read an article attacking empathy, I'm reminded of it again.

Secondly, the campaign may have f__ed up the GE, but I didn't.

I said from the convention onward that Hillary should be laser focused on white working class voters in the Midwest, because that's where most Electoral Votes were. I didn't agree with the Kaine pick. I didn't agree with the lineup of speaks at the DNC. I said Hillary shouldn't campaign on gun control. None of my views were followed by the campaign and on all of them, I feel vindicated over the campaign. Post DNC leaks, I suggested handing the nomination to Bernie at the Convention. That would have ensured our strongest possible candidate in the GE, while preserving the humbling loss of the Bernie Bros in the actual process.

I never got overconfident. I was always worried, and pointed out Ohio, as a trouble spot early on. I'm fully satisfied with my efforts -- I volunteered at every opportunity I had from the convention until election day. I donated, canvassed, and phone banked. I researched Hillary's positions, and tried to tell them to people I knew. In my personal persuasion while volunteering, I tried as much as possible to focus on positive things about Hillary, especially her economic policy stances, rather than making negative comments about Trump. I did everything. I even went above and beyond. I volunteered in a state (Pennsylvania) that turned out to be one of the close ones. I also did some betting on prediction markets and made money there (on net).

Finally, I never looked down on white working class voters, or felt contemptuous of them. I have always felt the Democrats should try to include them in our coalition.

Basically, on the whole I am totally satisfied with my positions and efforts over the campaign. The only thing I regret is the end result, but this was out of my control.

Congrats on the amount of effort you put in & how you were involved - That is commendable & also the fact that you focused on inclusive positive message during your campaigning is also praiseworthy!

I hope this comes to pass.  The WWC needs a Democratic Party in their corner.  The folks running the ship over there have no idea how offensive they are to the folks that should have been their primary constituency over time.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2017, 07:05:19 AM »

No.

First of all I'm still glad Bernie didn't win the primaries because too many his followers were nuts. A lot of them weren't even progressive except on the surface, they were simply attracted to Bernie-as-alternative-to-Hillary and Bernie-the-personality. In a way, they were just as insane as the Trump supporters. They were even more prone to conspiracy theories than Trump supporters, if anything. Had he won, we would have had a surface progressivism hiding regressivism beneath the surface. Also, the progressivism of 2015/2016 was not appealing to me -- actually, I was getting pushed to the right by the SJW nonsense. It seems like the lesser threat now, but when I read an article attacking empathy, I'm reminded of it again.

Secondly, the campaign may have f__ed up the GE, but I didn't.

I said from the convention onward that Hillary should be laser focused on white working class voters in the Midwest, because that's where most Electoral Votes were. I didn't agree with the Kaine pick. I didn't agree with the lineup of speaks at the DNC. I said Hillary shouldn't campaign on gun control. None of my views were followed by the campaign and on all of them, I feel vindicated over the campaign. Post DNC leaks, I suggested handing the nomination to Bernie at the Convention. That would have ensured our strongest possible candidate in the GE, while preserving the humbling loss of the Bernie Bros in the actual process.

I never got overconfident. I was always worried, and pointed out Ohio, as a trouble spot early on. I'm fully satisfied with my efforts -- I volunteered at every opportunity I had from the convention until election day. I donated, canvassed, and phone banked. I researched Hillary's positions, and tried to tell them to people I knew. In my personal persuasion while volunteering, I tried as much as possible to focus on positive things about Hillary, especially her economic policy stances, rather than making negative comments about Trump. I did everything. I even went above and beyond. I volunteered in a state (Pennsylvania) that turned out to be one of the close ones. I also did some betting on prediction markets and made money there (on net).

Finally, I never looked down on white working class voters, or felt contemptuous of them. I have always felt the Democrats should try to include them in our coalition.

Basically, on the whole I am totally satisfied with my positions and efforts over the campaign. The only thing I regret is the end result, but this was out of my control.

Congrats on the amount of effort you put in & how you were involved - That is commendable & also the fact that you focused on inclusive positive message during your campaigning is also praiseworthy!

I hope this comes to pass.  The WWC needs a Democratic Party in their corner.  The folks running the ship over there have no idea how offensive they are to the folks that should have been their primary constituency over time.
> tacitly admitting republicans aren't actually in the "white working class"'s corner

👍
Folks like you have never been.

There are many Republicans who are not in the corner of working people.  Trump, however, was elected by them.  I am hoping that Trump will keep faith with the folks that elected him, and address issues that apply to them in addition to the issue of job creation.

But folks like you who spent the campaign expressing contempt toward WWC voters need to crawl back under a rock.  You're a big reason for Hillary's deserved defeat.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies