Prime Minister or President? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 31, 2024, 01:12:23 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Prime Minister or President? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: In general, which system of government do you prefer?
Congressional-Presidential

Parliamentary-Prime Ministerial

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 53

Author Topic: Prime Minister or President?  (Read 4605 times)
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« on: July 13, 2005, 04:03:43 PM »

I like a parliamentary system the best actually. It seems to, with a few exceptions, dilute power better than a Presidential system. I personally like a semi-presidential system akin to Austria or Germany where their is a figurehead President who has some responsbilities but leaves governing to the parliament and the Prime Minister. Also makes for much more interesting politics in my mind.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2005, 09:53:35 PM »

the US system is MUCH more democratic

I could understand that in regards to the UK, with an unelected upper house, but I must disagree with relation to Australia.

Australia is more democratic then the USA, because seats aren't gerrymandered; candidates must win a majority of possible votes to be elected (in theory, in reality it's about 48%) and over half the actual vote; Whilst we have a two-party system minor parties can be elected to represent viewpoints that contibute to a large part of society but not as large as the major left and right wing parties (through the senate and it's proportional system).

We have a nation-wide, independent body to administer elections, a fantastic constitution, stable government within a nation that has never had, and will never have, a civil war or segregationist arguments.

There's a hell of a lot more. Whilst the US does have some systems that we don't have (ie elected HoS), even then we have a reasonable substitute, in that its a powerless HoS.

Unlike in the UK, (unelected upper house), the US (low turnout, lobbyists owning basically every politician) or basically any other nation, there is no major problem with Australia Democracy. It's not perfect, but it's healthy, and the Australian political system, to quote 'is MUCH more democratic'.

I have to agree with you Hugh. Australia's government is very good system. Australia has taken the best of the US system and mixed it with the best of a UK system. The only thing I don't like is complusory voting but even I don't get to worked up about that. Just replace the Governor General with some type of near powerless President and I think the Aussies would have one of the better political systems in the world. The Aussie system is a huge improvement upon the Canadian system and works very well in diluting power and giving representation, in a rather equal way, to the states and to minor parties.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies