MI Governor 2018
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 03:00:18 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  MI Governor 2018
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10
Poll
Question: MI Governor 2018
Gretchen Whitmer

other Democrat

a Republican

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 181

Author Topic: MI Governor 2018  (Read 19622 times)
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #200 on: July 27, 2018, 09:26:08 AM »

Whitmer and El-Sayed are both A-tier candidates (Thanedar is one of the worst candidates of the cycle, but that's neither here nor there.)

Barring a major shift, Whitmer's winning the nomination, though. I really hope she at least considers picking El-Sayed as a running mate though.

She’s almost certainly going to pick a black man, after Pat Miles didn’t get the AG nomination.

Abdul definitely shouldn’t go away after this. He should run for Congress or challenge Peters or something.

He’s pretty young, isn’t he? Plenty of opportunities ahead of him. Hell he could even run for Mayor of Detroit, he’d be better than a litany of machine hacks
#gravelgang #lessiglad
Serious_Username
United States

« Reply #201 on: July 27, 2018, 11:23:59 AM »

Whitmer and El-Sayed are both A-tier candidates (Thanedar is one of the worst candidates of the cycle, but that's neither here nor there.)

Barring a major shift, Whitmer's winning the nomination, though. I really hope she at least considers picking El-Sayed as a running mate though.

She’s almost certainly going to pick a black man, after Pat Miles didn’t get the AG nomination.

Abdul definitely shouldn’t go away after this. He should run for Congress or challenge Peters or something.

He’s pretty young, isn’t he? Plenty of opportunities ahead of him. Hell he could even run for Mayor of Detroit, he’d be better than a litany of machine hacks

Mayor is possible, but word is he had a sizeable falling out with Duggan, who's still really popular in Detroit. It's possible, of course, to win but he'd be up against a lot of machinery in Detroit. It's a shame that Conyers's seat is up now; otherwise, it'd be a reasonable move in the likely event that he loses this primary.
OneJ
OneJ_
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #202 on: July 27, 2018, 11:40:31 AM »

Also, Whitmer’s “fix the damn roads” has really resonated with me.  Cheesy
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #203 on: July 27, 2018, 12:04:29 PM »

Mayor is possible, but word is he had a sizeable falling out with Duggan, who's still really popular in Detroit. It's possible, of course, to win but he'd be up against a lot of machinery in Detroit. It's a shame that Conyers's seat is up now; otherwise, it'd be a reasonable move in the likely event that he loses this primary.

He seems better than a number of the candidates in Conyers’ seat
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #204 on: July 27, 2018, 12:14:50 PM »

I thought he should have quit the governor’s race and run for Conyers’ open seat. He would have won that in a walk and we wouldn’t have to listen to Congressman Coleman Young.
Pollster
YaBB God

« Reply #205 on: July 27, 2018, 01:11:58 PM »

Is a Whitmer/El-Sayed ticket feasible?
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #206 on: July 27, 2018, 05:52:07 PM »
« Edited: July 27, 2018, 07:42:07 PM by Wolverine22 »

Is a Whitmer/El-Sayed ticket feasible?

I'm not sure. I have a feeling she'll pick a person of color, perhaps Patrick Miles.

As tempting as it would be to nominate El-Sayed for LG to appease the Bernie Sanders crowd, El-Sayed's name and faith will still be a liability. Americans For Prosperity and Schuette will run ads saying that unless you vote for him, the Muslim Brotherhood and ISIS will take over Michigan and impose Sharia Law on the entire state, and considering that this state just voted for Trump, I'm pretty sure it would backfire.
henster
Junior Chimp

« Reply #207 on: July 27, 2018, 07:37:15 PM »

Do people on here actually think El-Sayed is electable?
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #208 on: July 27, 2018, 07:48:43 PM »

In a state that went from electing Democrats six times in a row to suddenly electing someone like Drumpf?  HELL no.  Especially given his last name and his faith, not to mention his gun-grabbing views?!  I can see the ads now:

"EL-SAYED wants to take your guns away so his Muslim cronies can take over Michigan and impose sharia law and rape your wives, mothers, and daughters!  Don't let them take your guns away!"

Sure, Whitmer supports some gun controls too, but for some reason, I have a feeling Michiganders will be able to swallow a bland, boring white woman restricting their Second Amendment rights moreso than they would a scaaarrrryyyy Muuusssliiimmm doing so.

Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.25, S: -6.50

« Reply #209 on: July 27, 2018, 07:59:02 PM »

I mean, he is. Just because a state voted for Trump by less than 1% does not make the entire state a bunch of racists. Its also a Blue Wave year, and Trump has fallen heavily in the state, so I doubt that the wave would be stopped because of a Scaarrrryy MUslimmmmmmm.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #210 on: July 27, 2018, 11:04:49 PM »

It's a good thing I don't live in Michigan, because I'd vote for Whitmer and I'd hate to have to vote against a King that I follow.
Chief Justice Keef
etr906
United States

« Reply #211 on: July 28, 2018, 03:08:58 PM »

Apparently El-Sayed's rallies with Ocasio-Cortez in Grand Rapids and Flint attracted large crowds.

Is this a sign of late-stage momentum for El-Sayed? Seems like Whitmer's been getting too comfortable lately and as we saw in 2016, Michigan has room for surprises.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #212 on: July 28, 2018, 03:20:18 PM »

Apparently El-Sayed's rallies with Ocasio-Cortez in Grand Rapids and Flint attracted large crowds.

Is this a sign of late-stage momentum for El-Sayed? Seems like Whitmer's been getting too comfortable lately and as we saw in 2016, Michigan has room for surprises.

Nope.  Also, you do realize El-Sayed would very likely be thrown off the ballot if nominated, right?
Chief Justice Keef
etr906
United States

« Reply #213 on: July 28, 2018, 03:49:50 PM »

-snip-

Nope.  Also, you do realize El-Sayed would very likely be thrown off the ballot if nominated, right?
Unfortunately Thanedar already challenged El-Sayed’s eligibility and they found him eligible to run.
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #214 on: July 28, 2018, 05:20:07 PM »

Why would that be? It cant be because hes illegible to run, cause he was already challenged, and won.
henster
Junior Chimp

« Reply #215 on: July 28, 2018, 05:26:30 PM »

Why would that be? It cant be because hes illegible to run, cause he was already challenged, and won.

It was only a decision by the SOS, Republicans would likely appeal it and try to get the case decided by the state Supreme Court which has a 5-2 GOP majority.

https://twitter.com/DanaHoule/status/1013837681867059201
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #216 on: July 28, 2018, 05:34:36 PM »

It was only a decision by the SOS, Republicans would likely appeal it and try to get the case decided by the state Supreme Court which has a 5-2 GOP majority.

But it was Thanedar that brought these charges up, and he could just dismiss them. Of course, he is an opportunistic jerk, so he could always keep it up.
Also, if this is appealed, especially to the SC, I can see them re-granting the rights for Abdul to run.
And this assumes that the judges on the MISC would do this, considering many are running for reelection, and this would easily be used against them.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #217 on: July 28, 2018, 08:21:58 PM »

But it was Thanedar that brought these charges up, and he could just dismiss them. Of course, he is an opportunistic jerk, so he could always keep it up.
Also, if this is appealed, especially to the SC, I can see them re-granting the rights for Abdul to run.
And this assumes that the judges on the MISC would do this, considering many are running for reelection, and this would easily be used against them.

They would definitely do this and Thanedar isn’t the only one with standing here.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #218 on: July 28, 2018, 09:14:35 PM »

Do people on here actually think El-Sayed Jealous is electable?

Said people like you in Maryland, and that's why Rushern-Baker is put to task to defeat Larry Hogan!
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #219 on: August 08, 2018, 01:20:23 PM »

Some interesting results from the state senate primaries last night:

America Needs a 13-6 Progressive SCOTUS
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.88, S: -8.51

P P P
« Reply #220 on: August 08, 2018, 03:33:22 PM »

I have grandparents who live in State Senate District 15.
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #221 on: August 09, 2018, 01:29:10 PM »

SingingAnalyst
mathstatman
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #222 on: August 09, 2018, 01:38:01 PM »
« Edited: August 09, 2018, 01:41:46 PM by mathstatman »

Very interesting map, especially in and near Detroit. Very evenly divided 3 ways. Thanedar did indeed win large sections of Detroit, with El-Sayed winning Hamtramck and east Dearborn.

Meanwhile, north of 8 Mile (not shown), Thanedar finished in single digits along the Woodward Corridor south of Pontiac (El-Sayed carried Ferndale; Whitmer won the rest).
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #223 on: August 09, 2018, 04:25:10 PM »

County map with statewide party vote totals:

SingingAnalyst
mathstatman
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #224 on: August 09, 2018, 04:42:31 PM »

County map with statewide party vote totals:

I'm surprised Saginaw cast more R than D votes, unless the difference was very tiny.

That looks like a good prediction for the general (except for Saginaw County). If anything, it might overstate Schuette's strength slightly, as I don't think Schuette has a lock on Brian Calley voters.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies