Lumine playing politics wih Tyrion's nomination for VP (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 06, 2024, 01:59:03 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Lumine playing politics wih Tyrion's nomination for VP (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Lumine playing politics wih Tyrion's nomination for VP  (Read 2271 times)
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« on: August 19, 2014, 10:49:29 AM »
« edited: August 19, 2014, 10:51:10 AM by Duke »

I knew the end of The Era of Good Feeling would be different, but I never imagined it would be such a sharp contrast to the last 8 months!

Both sides are playing politics here - the administration for pledging to ram through this energy bill despite the "yapping" of 3 former presidents, senators, and 70% of the population, and the right block for blocking the VP nominee. How else can either side play it, really? Damned if they stand up for themselves, damned if they back down, right? I'm just glad I'm no longer in office.

I don't know why Lumine is being singled out here. One man cannot block a VP nominee. It takes half the senate.

Adam is right though in that nationalizing the sector was in the Labor platform for a while now and people voted for it. I didn't because I opposed nationalizing minus a real reason, but this isn't about me anymore, and thank god for that.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2014, 11:13:28 AM »

It's worth keeping in mind that Labor's platform - which calls for the nationalization of everything from steel to some forms of agriculture - came within a single vote of failing at the last convention and inspired the right's most recent presidential candidate to leave our party when it was first introduced several months before. (DemPGH abstained from the most recent vote, FTR.)

Opinions will vary, but as a Laborite I don't put much stock in the document. As far as I am concerned, it's not an accurate statement about what it means to be a Laborite and I'll push for its repeal again at our next convention.

Right, I agree, I'm just playing devil's advocate here. I can see why the Labor would argue what they are arguing, but I also understand the other side, because I have long grown frustrated with the 'answers' given to you and I and others about this major bill.

In all honesty, I'm not sure what I'd do to handle this, although I would never have pursued such a bill in the first place knowing a problem didn't necessarily exist and knowing the negatives that will result from this bill. We can help the poor with energy prices using different methods.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2014, 12:45:37 PM »

Oh, come on. Dear Torie was nearly nominated by my predecessor and I consulted with him prior to nominating Torie. I'll not have The People's Administration turned into some firebreathing group of radicals nor will I allow The Era to be tarnished. We were just handsome boys with a radical gay agenda.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2014, 01:13:34 PM »

Oh, come on. Dear Torie was nearly nominated by my predecessor and I consulted with him prior to nominating Torie. I'll not have The People's Administration turned into some firebreathing group of radicals nor will I allow The Era to be tarnished. We were just handsome boys with a radical gay agenda.

Sure, but as a republican he doesn't exactly represent my political views. Besides, in that case, as in the case of a certain other R-NY I voted against the majority of my party.

Say what you like about my position that we should let the executive branch appoint who they want, but it's not something I discovered after labor's nominees started to get voted down.

Right. I'm not accusing you of playing politics with your vote at all. I was merely defending my administration since I saw Torie and Cincinnatus being lumped in with this current spat, when we all know the circumstances surrounding their nominations were far different than they are right now.

I don't know what the most controversial thing I tried to do was in terms of causing an uproar. I guess it was when I refused to sign that bill that said the federal government could regulate regional/municipal parks, but even my successor shared my view on that.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2014, 01:22:56 PM »

Sure, but as a republican he doesn't exactly represent my political views. Besides, in that case, as in the case of a certain other R-NY I voted against the majority of my party.

Say what you like about my position that we should let the executive branch appoint who they want, but it's not something I discovered after labor's nominees started to get voted down.

Right. I'm not accusing you of playing politics with your vote at all. I was merely defending my administration since I saw Torie and Cincinnatus being lumped in with this current spat, when we all know the circumstances surrounding their nominations were far different than they are right now.

I don't know what the most controversial thing I tried to do was in terms of causing an uproar. I guess it was when I refused to sign that bill that said the federal government could regulate regional/municipal parks, but even my successor shared my view on that.

Consolidation was pretty controversial, though everyone involved with that project was let off more or less unscathed. I don't think any nominees were rejected over it.

I think by in large, a small majority supported consolidation, just not nearly enough to pass 4/5ths of the regions. The amendments were not passed by 1 party through the senate - there had been a broad coalition behind it. But you're right, I forgot that consolidation was controversial by the Era's standards.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies