libertarians: should us senators be elected by the people? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 04:14:48 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  libertarians: should us senators be elected by the people? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ....
yes

no

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 17

Author Topic: libertarians: should us senators be elected by the people?  (Read 7175 times)
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« on: July 01, 2007, 09:48:34 AM »

No, Senate representation was originally conceived to represent the interests of the states in the federal government, and it is no coincidence that the scope of federal government increased since US Senators started being elected directly. I don't see what is so outrageous about this either.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2007, 03:33:54 AM »

I'm not a Libertarian, but I'd like to comment that you guys dont know how luck you are to have an elected Senate. Such things do not exist in Canada; they are appointed. The Canadian Senate is a garbage institution and is so illegitimate it's not even funny.

The problem is not that it is appointed, but that it is appointed by the federal government. Austria's High Chamber is appointed by state parliaments, and things work pretty well.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2007, 03:34:46 AM »

The people should not directly elect their senators.  They should elect people on the STATE level to appoint people to go on to the federal government.  This makes state elections more meaningful and their power more important, therefore, increasing the power of the states.  Direct election of senators is another attack on state's rights.

How is this an attack on states' rights?

I believe the direct election of U.S. senators by all the people of a state promotes democracy and freedom

It promotes democracy, but it certainly doesn't promote freedom. Between the two, I'd rather take freedom.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2007, 09:10:38 AM »
« Edited: July 02, 2007, 09:12:38 AM by Governor Bono »

You must be logged in to read this quote.
So James Madison and Alexander Hamilton are statists now?
Are you saying Hamilton was not a statist? He was a proto-fascist.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2007, 03:27:39 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.
After the Civil War, the Senate, even though chosen by the state legislatures, was very far from a guardian of states' "rights."
Well the problem was that immediately after the Civil War the Southtern States were denied representation in that horrendous travesty known as reconstruction.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies