Plausible Convention Compromise Picks
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 27, 2024, 11:41:39 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Plausible Convention Compromise Picks
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Plausible Convention Compromise Picks  (Read 1014 times)
standwrand
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.55, S: -2.74

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2016, 07:58:14 PM »

I definitely think that Scott Walker should be on a 16-person list. I don't think the Religious Freedom Restoration Act totally destroys the possibility of Pence. I also think Rick Scott at least a chance of being a compromise between the establishment and Trumpists, if the convention shakes out that way.

Pence as the nominee might actually lose IN in the general
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2016, 10:47:25 PM »

Can someone please explain why a convention consisting of about 45% Trump delegates and 40% Cruz delegates is going to nominate some random boring person who didn't even bother with a campaign?
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2016, 10:59:15 PM »

Most to least likely nominees:

1. Donald Trump
2. Ted Cruz
3. John Kasich
4. Paul Ryan
5. Marco Rubio
6. Nikki Haley
7. Tim Scott
8. Susana Martinz
9. Bill Haslam
10. Bob Corker
11. Brian Sandoval
12. John Thune
13. Jeff Flake
14. Jeb Bush
15. Ileana Ros-Lehtinen
16 Mike Rounds

I've looked through lists of all sitting GOP Governors, Senators, and Representatives, and basically everyone else is either too old, too new, too unpopular, too ambiguous, too liberal, or too conservative. And yes, I know Sandoval and Ros-Lehtinen are pro-choice.

You do know that Ros-Lehtinen is a naturalized citizen and ineligible for the Presidency, right?

I would say that the odds right now are along the lines of 55% Cruz, 40% trump, and 5% anyone else. Indiana, which is a necessary Cruz victory to stopper any post-mid-Atlantic momentum, should clear up basically everything and might be the most crucial state left in the calendar; by the time California comes along it should be clear whether trump is on track for the nomination or not.

Cruz became a naturalized citizen in 2014, technically. I didn't know that made him ineligible...
Orser67
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2016, 12:53:17 AM »

Can someone please explain why a convention consisting of about 45% Trump delegates and 40% Cruz delegates is going to nominate some random boring person who didn't even bother with a campaign?

Because the candidates don't choose most of the delegates and most delegates are unbound after the 1st ballot.
Attorney General & PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P
« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2016, 01:04:35 AM »

Romney
SillyAmerican
United States

« Reply #30 on: April 16, 2016, 10:22:06 AM »

The nomination will go to the person who can come up with 1237 delegates. Should it go to someone who actually went through the winnowing process? Yes, I think so. Should Kasich be excluded from consideration? No, I don't think so.

Truth be told, I find myself half hoping that Trump has enough delegates going into the convention to win the nomination outright, to avoid the whole issue; if he's unable to and Cruz wins the nomination, Clinton wins the presidency. If Kasich somehow wins the nomination, the GOP's chances of winning the presidency become so much greater. So if multiple balloting takes place, I hope Kasich can find a way to come out on top, or would agree to a Trump/Kasich ticket that gets Trump to the top.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies