will the US Economy go into recession in 2008?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 08, 2024, 04:01:41 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  will the US Economy go into recession in 2008?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: will the US Economy go into recession in 2008?
yes (D)

no (D)

yes (R)

no (R)

yes (I/O)

no (I/O)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 31

Author Topic: will the US Economy go into recession in 2008?  (Read 2654 times)
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2008, 09:07:21 PM »

Sarcasism or really trying to push a point.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2008, 09:19:29 PM »

It wouldn't surprise me if the US weren't already in recession. Technical measures of recession are usually 3 to 6 months behind. If there was a technical recession in 4Q 2007 or 1Q 2008 it won't be official until the spring or summer.

It also is not surprising since business cycles usually run about 6 years. Some are longer and some are shorter, but the last dip was in 2001. The cause that precipitates a recession is rarely forecast in advance, and differs with each cycle. Nonetheless, there's usually a proximate cause to start the downturn as the subprime crisis has provided this time.

Concur.

Also concur.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2008, 01:49:09 AM »

It wouldn't surprise me if the US weren't already in recession. Technical measures of recession are usually 3 to 6 months behind. If there was a technical recession in 4Q 2007 or 1Q 2008 it won't be official until the spring or summer.

It also is not surprising since business cycles usually run about 6 years. Some are longer and some are shorter, but the last dip was in 2001. The cause that precipitates a recession is rarely forecast in advance, and differs with each cycle. Nonetheless, there's usually a proximate cause to start the downturn as the subprime crisis has provided this time.

Concur.

Also concur.

If you work in the sales industry, whether in food (like me) or retail, you can tell that the economy has been long in slow down. The media is just NOW saying something about it. I don't need an economic report to tell me the picture that's been painted.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2008, 01:37:50 PM »

Undoubtably. The Republicans will find a way to blame the Democrats for it, of course. If a Democrat is elected this year, and they actually try to fix any of the problems wrong with this country, they'll end up as the next Jimmy Carter, bad approval ratings and losing the next election.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2008, 01:44:41 PM »

Undoubtably. The Republicans will find a way to blame the Democrats for it, of course. If a Democrat is elected this year, and they actually try to fix any of the problems wrong with this country, they'll end up as the next Jimmy Carter, bad approval ratings and losing the next election.
...hmmm... if a republican get reelected, we could have another reccesion by the end of his term as the market cycle shortens.
Wakie
YaBB God

« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2008, 10:37:39 AM »

The economy has been grinding down pretty much throughout the Bush years.  For my $0.02 I think it is caused by a number of factors.  What people get for what they are paid has dropped dramatically.

How much have your earnings gone up over the last 5 years?  If you had a "regular" job 5 years ago I'd say not that much.

Whereas look at the increases in "necessity" costs.

Gasoline has skyrocketed 220% higher (driving up transportation costs).
The cost of housing skyrocketed with the housing bubble.
Healthcare costs are up 34% due to aging/retiring baby boomers seeking more medical care, fewer of them acting as providers, and fewer of them paying into the insurance systems.
Increases in food prices have actually outpaced increases in wages.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2008, 10:55:34 AM »

Real earnings have had to come down quite a bit for most people, Wakie, in order to redistribute that income to the top 1%.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2008, 12:01:15 PM »

This could actually suck quite a bit... tons of credit and a lack of raises do this type of thing.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2008, 12:22:16 PM »

This could actually suck quite a bit... tons of credit and a lack of raises do this type of thing.

Standard poor (right-wing) economic policy, easily solved by unionization and income redistribution.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #34 on: January 29, 2008, 12:15:56 PM »
« Edited: January 29, 2008, 12:17:40 PM by Angry Weasel »

I see that people are still making money. It appears that the global bubble will be enough to buy off the housing crash...for now.

Another question could be that if the economy stabilizes in 2007, will this create another, larger bubble? If I recall correctly, could it be that we are heading into a "roaring 20s" situation, where we are basically staving off one bubble with another until it falls down like a house of cards or do you think we have grown into an impossible era of perpetual growth based around virtually unlimited computing power and human resources?
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #35 on: January 29, 2008, 12:42:24 PM »

if the Fed cuts another 50 basis points this week they could really get out ahead of the curve, and barring any geopolitical shocks, I think we will avoid recession.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #36 on: January 29, 2008, 12:54:25 PM »

Will it create another bubble if we avoid reccesion?
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #37 on: January 29, 2008, 01:01:28 PM »

Will it create another bubble if we avoid reccesion?

free markets ALWAYS create bubbles of one sort or another
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #38 on: January 29, 2008, 01:02:54 PM »

I mean, what could be the consequences of un-hinging the business cycle?
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #39 on: January 29, 2008, 01:06:12 PM »

I mean, what could be the consequences of un-hinging the business cycle?

huh?
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #40 on: January 29, 2008, 01:11:55 PM »

I mean, wouldn't the impending reccesion be milder if we slowed down the economy slowly through the housing bust so the impending global bubble be deflated through a weak U.S. economy? ...now if the economy goes back to a period of moderate growth, the global bubble could eventually erupt violently.  Then again, maybe we are at the end of history. The boom in China has yet to still penetrate a fraction of their society....perhaps when you are dealing with a global economy of 4 billion people, instead of 700 million, booms can last indefinately.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #41 on: January 29, 2008, 01:16:05 PM »

I mean, wouldn't the impending reccesion be milder if we slowed down the economy slowly through the housing bust so the impending global bubble be deflated through a weak U.S. economy? ...now if the economy goes back to a period of moderate growth, the global bubble could eventually erupt violently.  Then again, maybe we are at the end of history. The boom in China has yet to still penetrate a fraction of their society....perhaps when you are dealing with a global economy of 4 billion people, instead of 700 million, booms can last indefinately.

what is this impending global bubble you speak of? 
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #42 on: January 29, 2008, 01:17:33 PM »
« Edited: January 29, 2008, 01:19:32 PM by Angry Weasel »

The fact that many economists believe that China, India, Turkey, Iran and many middle-HDI economies are growing at ~10% per annum(doubles its GDP every 7 years) and that they cannot do so for a long time.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies