Israeli local elections, 2013
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 09:35:45 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Israeli local elections, 2013
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Israeli local elections, 2013  (Read 9049 times)
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 28, 2013, 01:33:47 AM »

Housing protest leader Daphni Leef is considering a run for Tel Aviv mayor.

Jewish Hadash MK Dov Henin (who came in second in the last election) is also considering a run. As is gay Meretz MK Nitzan Horowitz.

Incumbent Mayor Ron Huldai was elected by an alliance of Labor and the then relevant Kadima.
danny
Israel

« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2013, 02:20:10 AM »

If it's Henin than I expect him to lose the same as last time, Leef would probably end up a joke, Horowitz might make it interesting. A credible challenger should make it interesting, since I don't think Huldai is popular.

As for Jerusalem it will be incumbent Barkat versus whomever the Haredi put up against him this time.
danny
Israel

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2013, 02:36:13 AM »

Since the OP doesn't mention it, the election will take place 22/10/13 and will be for (almost) all municipalities in the country. The voting is for both the head of the municipality and for the party on the local list in a proportional manner, similar to the way the Knesset elections are.
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2013, 09:13:43 AM »

Horowitz is the only one capable of taking on Huldai, as the voting percentage is rather low on the municipal level if Horowitz gets the hipster to go out and vote like in the general elections if he pretty much wins.
From what I gathered he is still undecided.

In Haifa no proper challenger to Yahav had yet surfaced, nor will I think there will be
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2013, 02:05:47 PM »

What party will Yahav run for this time?
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2013, 05:53:45 PM »

Also, where can I find results from previous mayoral elections? It doesn't look like there are any sites in English. Maybe if I can at least find one in Hebrew I can run it through Google translate.
danny
Israel

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2013, 06:38:31 PM »

Also, where can I find results from previous mayoral elections? It doesn't look like there are any sites in English. Maybe if I can at least find one in Hebrew I can run it through Google translate.

Best I could find (will open pdf or word):

Results for mayor with winner only including second round
results for mayor including losers but no second round
Results for council
danny
Israel

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2013, 06:43:42 PM »

What party will Yahav run for this time?

Parties are not important in local elections, and are usually just local creations with maybe a vague connection to national politics. Parties will often be called "our city x" or "city x forward" etc..
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2013, 11:13:06 PM »

Results for council

Thanks. The first two worked great.

Unfortunately the city council one seems to only list the lists' numbers? Not their actual names. Bummer.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2013, 11:14:33 PM »

Now Kachite former MK Michael Ben-Ari is trying to recruit a right-wing candidate for Tel Aviv mayor on Facebook.

I wonder if he might run himself. Not like he's got anything more important to do.
danny
Israel

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2013, 11:30:26 PM »

Results for council

Thanks. The first two worked great.

Unfortunately the city council one seems to only list the lists' numbers? Not their actual names. Bummer.

The big column in the middle is the party name and the leftmost one is the individual member name.
danny
Israel

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2013, 11:49:00 PM »

Now Kachite former MK Michael Ben-Ari is trying to recruit a right-wing candidate for Tel Aviv mayor on Facebook.

I wonder if he might run himself. Not like he's got anything more important to do.

Well, he was born in Tel Aviv...
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2013, 10:25:58 AM »

Jerusalem Post article about defeated Knesset members considering mayoral runs:

http://www.jpost.com/Diplomacy-and-Politics/Newly-out-of-work-former-MKs-mulling-mayoral-races-308494

The content of the article seems to contradict the headline though, as most seem to be deciding against.

The only one who is definitely running is Yoram Marciano, the Labor MK who replaced Amir Peretz then endorsed Netanyahu, he's running for mayor of Lod.
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2013, 04:02:54 PM »

It's official, Meretz MK Nitzan Horowitz will be trying to unseat Tel Aviv's reigning mayor Ron Huldai , I am going to wager on a Horowitz victory.

Peter the Lefty
Peternerdman
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2013, 11:46:19 AM »

It's official, Meretz MK Nitzan Horowitz will be trying to unseat Tel Aviv's reigning mayor Ron Huldai , I am going to wager on a Horowitz victory.

A Meretz mayor in the second-largest city in the country would be awesome!
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2013, 02:14:17 PM »

Meretz got its highest results since 1992 in the January election in Tel Aviv (14% of the vote and circa 35K voters). Tel Aviv is ripe for the taking and pushing Labour aside there.
And if he wins we may see a sequence with Tel Aviv, herzliya, and Ramat Hasharon all having a Meretz mayor
Peter the Lefty
Peternerdman
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2013, 07:43:56 PM »

Meretz got its highest results since 1992 in the January election in Tel Aviv (14% of the vote and circa 35K voters). Tel Aviv is ripe for the taking and pushing Labour aside there.
And if he wins we may see a sequence with Tel Aviv, herzliya, and Ramat Hasharon all having a Meretz mayor
Giggidy giggidy giggidy
danny
Israel

« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2013, 01:46:06 PM »

Giggidy giggidy giggidy

Why are you so happy about Israeli local elections?
Kitteh
drj101
United States

« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2013, 12:10:36 AM »

Giggidy giggidy giggidy

Because this is the Atlas Forum.
danny
Israel

« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2013, 08:34:51 AM »

Giggidy giggidy giggidy

Because this is the Atlas Forum.

Heh, yeah, good answer. But it's just that local elections have very little relation to national elections. The issues and parties are different, the big issue in national politics isn't relevant, And results don't seem to show much connection between the two.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2013, 03:33:33 PM »

Former Shas leader Eli Yishai considering a run for Jerusalem mayor:

http://www.timesofisrael.com/former-shas-head-considering-run-for-jerusalem-mayor/
danny
Israel

« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2013, 04:03:02 PM »

and Zeev Bielski from Kadima will run for mayor in Ra'anana.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2013, 07:34:55 PM »

"Some former MKs will be running in the local elections this October. Carmel Shama Hacohen (Likud) is running for mayor of Ramat Gan and is putting together an Internet project. Fellow Likudnik Zion Pinyan is running for mayor of Tiberias, and Yoel Hasson (Hatnuah) is considering running for mayor of Rishon Letzion. Lia Shemtov (Yisrael Beiteinu) is considering running for mayor of Upper Nazareth."

http://www.haaretz.com/news/national/life-after-knesset-former-lawmakers-are-landing-on-their-feet.premium-1.516955

If Shama Hacohen is really running, that's quite surprising since he's almost certain to enter the Knesset if he waits a little longer.

Also, another former backbencher for Likud named David Mena is also apparently joining Shama Hacohen is the Ramat Gan race.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2013, 03:52:50 AM »

MK Haneen Zoabi of Balad considering a run for mayor of Nazareth, traditionally dominated by Hadash.

Corrupt ultra-Orthdox former mayor Uri Lupoliansky considering running again for Mayor of Jerusalem.

Currently, the two main candidates for Jerusalem are the incumbent mayor Nir Barkat, who heads a local list, and Likud-Yisrael Beytenu candidate Moshe Leon.

Hey, can any Israelis tell me why Likud is backing someone other than Barkat? He backed them in the last election so I was expecting the favor to be returned.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2013, 04:12:17 AM »

Here's a poll from Tel Aviv:

Mayor:

Incumbent Ron Huldai (One Tel Aviv) 59%
Nitzan Horowitz (Meretz) 26%
Aharon Madue (City for All) 1%
Reuven Lediansky (secularist, not sure of party) 1%
Sami Abu Shehadeh (Balad) 1%

City Council:

One Tel Aviv 6 seats
Meretz 6 seats
Labor Party 2 seats
City for All 2 seats

One Tel Aviv was basically the local affiliate of the Labor Party for the last decade. For some reason, Labor has now decided to run independently, although they are still backing the mayoral candidacy of Huldai.

City for All is a local list created for the last election by Hadash MK Dov Khenin.

http://www.haaretz.com/news/national/.premium-1.531597
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies