How could Bush win the 2000 presidential election? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 03, 2024, 01:37:39 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results
  2000 U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  How could Bush win the 2000 presidential election? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: How could Bush win the 2000 presidential election?  (Read 7872 times)
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« on: December 06, 2013, 08:00:55 AM »

Short answer: He didn't. (Even ignoring the Florida mess, fewer people voted for Bush than Gore).

Longer answer: The Bush campaigning was nothing like the Bush we got. (You know, a humble foreign policy and "compassionate conservatism". The fact that he (in reality) lost was actually hard to believe considering how big of a lead he had had at one point.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2013, 05:10:17 AM »

Short answer: He didn't. (Even ignoring the Florida mess, fewer people voted for Bush than Gore).

Right, because we all know the popular vote determines who wins an election.

We also know what's the definition of democracy. Except for in South Carolina of course. What's called "democracy" in US (electoral college) would be called dictatorship or at best quasi-dictatorship in about 90% of the other nations of the world, including 100% of Western Europe.

Which has nothing to do with the fact that under our voting system, Bush won.  Unless you mean he won the election in the sense that in a true democracy he would have, but the United States is not a true democracy. 

Not the "we're a republic, not a democracy" nonsense again... Roll Eyes
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2013, 02:12:40 PM »

Don't see why that's relevant. Indeed, it reduces the quality of American democracy, but the words democracy and republic do not contradict each other.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2013, 08:49:28 AM »

Don't see why that's relevant. Indeed, it reduces the quality of American democracy, but the words democracy and republic do not contradict each other.

It's relevant because you said that Bush lost. 

And he did, in the sense that fewer people wanted him to become President than Al Gore. I don't think even the Republican Party disputes this fact (although considering their problem with facts...guess it wouldn't completely surprise me.) Since the question was why people wanted Bush to be President, I thought it was a good idea to point out that they were, in fact, a minority.

Of course Bush "won" in the sense that he became President.

We have a constitution, and that is the supreme law of the land, Franzl. As awful as Bush was, he won by constitutional standards, and that is that. I wouldn't be lecturing America on how "democratic" our nation is, considering your own country's history with democratically electing awful people.....

Indeed, although I think anyone with more than a peanut-sized brain would be aware that developments in the 1930s are a bit more complicated than problems with the democratic process.

Regarding the quality of American democracy today, it's pretty hard to argue that it's any better than mediocre in comparison with the rest of the developed world.

(And by the way, I happen to vote in American elections as well, although I always question whether it's worth the 2€ to send in the absentee ballot, considering the choices and results.)
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies