Poland electoral system referendum - September 6, 2015
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 04:41:30 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Poland electoral system referendum - September 6, 2015
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Poland electoral system referendum - September 6, 2015  (Read 5487 times)
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 19, 2015, 01:52:45 PM »

President Bronisław Komorowski ordered a referendum on two questions regarding the electoral system and one about tax law before he left office. It will be held September 6. The first one could potentially turn Poland into a pure PO/PiS two party system, so quite interesting.

1) Introducing single-member constituencies for Sejm elections.

2) Maintaining state financing of political parties.

3) Introducing a presumption in favour of the taxpayer in disputes with the authorities over tax law.

@Polish posters: If state financing is outlawed how would that affect politics? Is PO the darlings of corporate Poland, or has PiS an equal amount of private funds available?
Grand Wizard Lizard of the Klan
kataak
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -4.52, S: 5.39

« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2015, 04:37:30 PM »

@Polish posters: If state financing is outlawed how would that affect politics? Is PO the darlings of corporate Poland, or has PiS an equal amount of private funds available?

Both PiS and PO are big parties with a lot of different local deals and a lot of people who would support them but PO as ruling party has better contacts with business/rich people - potential big sponsors. Also as far as I know PiS have really bad relations with Jan Kulczyk (the richest Pole) and some other people from top strata of society so PO has easier job as "party of business".  Also PO has more members what equals more money from member dues but that is different story.
rob in cal
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2015, 11:51:58 AM »

If Sejm elections were single member districts, would they be plurality wins like in the UK, or would there be a runoff in districts where noone gets a majority?
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2015, 10:45:50 AM »

BUMP

How does the polls look? (and how does the Poles look? ... on this).
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2015, 11:00:28 AM »

Just taking the five most recent, PiS between 36% and 47%, PO between 19% and 27%, SLD between 4% and 12%, Kukiz between 4% and 12%, PSL between 4% and 7%, NPL between 3% and 5%, and Korwin between 1% and 4%.
kataak
Vatican City State

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2015, 11:01:35 AM »

Today in public TVP as far as I remember at 9pm there will be programme about referendum with experts discussing about questions etc. (as a lot of people actually don't know anything what about this referendum is going to be, lol) but unfortunately people are not much interested about referendum. CBOS research from August states that only 32% of interviewees are sure about taking part in referendum so there are high chances that even less will actually take part in it. About questions:

Single-mandate districts supported by 41% (decrease from previous research from July)
Financing opposed by 73%
Introducing a presumption in favor of the taxpayer in disputes with the authorities over tax law unfortunately supported by 76% (decrease from previous research from July by 5%)
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2015, 11:01:43 AM »

Just taking the five most recent, PiS between 36% and 47%, PO between 19% and 27%, SLD between 4% and 12%, Kukiz between 4% and 12%, PSL between 4% and 7%, NPL between 3% and 5%, and Korwin between 1% and 4%.

Those are Sejm election numbers...
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2015, 11:04:16 AM »

I clicked on this thread from the main board and saw 'Poland' in the title Smiley
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2015, 11:15:45 AM »

I clicked on this thread from the main board and saw 'Poland' in the title Smiley

It's not every day that we have two Polish threads going at once. Grin

I am glad that I clicked in here too, because I was unaware of this referendum before hand.

Is this campaign attracting much (if any) interest from the general public?
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2015, 11:18:32 AM »

Today in public TVP as far as I remember at 9pm there will be programme about referendum with experts discussing about questions etc. (as a lot of people actually don't know anything what about this referendum is going to be, lol) but unfortunately people are not much interested about referendum. CBOS research from August states that only 32% of interviewees are sure about taking part in referendum so there are high chances that even less will actually take part in it. About questions:

Single-mandate districts supported by 41% (decrease from previous research from July)
Financing opposed by 73%
Introducing a presumption in favor of the taxpayer in disputes with the authorities over tax law unfortunately supported by 76% (decrease from previous research from July by 5%)

Is there a quorum to be met? Fx. 50% turnout?
kataak
Vatican City State

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2015, 11:53:58 AM »

Yes, if below 50% referendum is not binding and only have "opinion-giving" character.
kataak
Vatican City State

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2015, 11:57:38 AM »

It's not every day that we have two Polish threads going at once. Grin

I am glad that I clicked in here too, because I was unaware of this referendum before hand.

Is this campaign attracting much (if any) interest from the general public?

It is merely shade of attention which is given to parliamentary elections, effect of great result of Kukiz in presidential elections and struggle for his voters in presidential campaign.
YL
YorkshireLiberal
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2015, 12:09:33 PM »

If Sejm elections were single member districts, would they be plurality wins like in the UK, or would there be a runoff in districts where noone gets a majority?

The referendum question apparently just says single member districts, without specifying the mechanism beyond that, but I think the intention is FPTP, UK or Canada style.
kataak
Vatican City State

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2015, 07:09:14 PM »

Turnout will be equal ca. 23% or even smaller believe me. Anti-referendal approach is more visible and loud on both right-wing and left-wing. I personally don't know anyone who is 100% sure that will take part in that referendum. I think that we can close that topic and eventually if someone want to comment that can post on autumn elections topic.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2015, 07:17:25 PM »

Turnout will be equal ca. 23% or even smaller believe me. Anti-referendal approach is more visible and loud on both right-wing and left-wing. I personally don't know anyone who is 100% sure that will take part in that referendum. I think that we can close that topic and eventually if someone want to comment that can post on autumn elections topic.

Nah, its a separate poll. Results will be written and commented here.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2015, 05:06:36 PM »

Polls closed at 10PM CET, but no info on turnout in the English language media.

Results should be available tomorrow afternoon.
kataak
Vatican City State

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2015, 05:12:17 PM »

Polish media says about even less than 10%. There are multiple articles about local referendal commissions which was empty for most of the day etc. Even on the most of the web info services referendum is not the main topic.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2015, 05:17:22 PM »

Polish media says about even less than 10%. There are multiple articles about local referendal commissions which was empty for most of the day etc. Even on the most of the web info services referendum is not the main topic.

Did they simply stop campaigning for it? I would have thought getting a new electoral system was a priority since they decided to call the referendum in the first place.
kataak
Vatican City State

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2015, 05:22:48 PM »

This referendum was only effect of good Kukiz result in the first term of presidential elections, Komorowski just wanted to appease Kukiz voters. After that actually no one gave even a little bit of attention but Sejm accepted that so it was too late.
Even such trivial things - both PiS and PO even didn't posted yesterday anything about referendum on FB. And people also thought this referendum was rather useless and waste of money.
kataak
Vatican City State

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2015, 04:59:00 AM »

http://referendum2015.pkw.gov.pl/341_Polska

Nothing to ad Cheesy
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2015, 05:02:58 AM »

A 7.48% turnout is impressively low.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2015, 05:07:21 AM »

From an outsider perspective this is still a bit weird, though. It seems both PO and PiS should have a clear interest in FPTP, so why not use this opportunity to get it?
kataak
Vatican City State

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2015, 05:23:18 AM »

Changing ordination needs changes in constitution and also such move would be very unpopular and no one wants to risk before elections which are more important.
kataak
Vatican City State

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2015, 09:02:18 AM »

Final turnout is 7.8%.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2015, 05:47:54 PM »

Wow. That is... really low. If I may ask: did you vote? And if yes, how did you vote, and why?
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies