Where does Missouri fit? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 12:27:05 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Where does Missouri fit? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Where does Missouri fit?  (Read 2089 times)
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« on: October 13, 2013, 04:15:43 PM »

I would say most of land below St. Louis and Kansas City is Southern. And St. Louis, Kansas City, and the North is Midwestern. The Northern parts of the state are too moderate to be southern, considering how incredibly white they are, like Iowa. The thing I see that always bugs me is that in Northern Missouri most counties went >60% Romney, yet right when you go into Iowa you're immediately into swing/toss-up land. Kind of like the Tennessee/North Carolina thing.

Iowa and Missouri are very different.  I'm originally from Southern Iowa, where people speak with a flat accent, but when I was in Northern Missouri, people definitely had a twang.

I do consider Missouri to be a Southern state, culturally (aside from St. Louis and maybe Kansas City). 
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2013, 05:51:20 PM »

Iowa and Missouri are very different.  I'm originally from Southern Iowa, where people speak with a flat accent, but when I was in Northern Missouri, people definitely had a twang.

But it's not a southern twang. It's the same sound you'd hear in central IL or IN as well as in KC. The conservatism there is more like KS than like AR. BTW, are you from SW or SE IA?

SE (Iowa City). 
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies