Where does Missouri fit? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 27, 2024, 08:38:27 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Where does Missouri fit? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Where does Missouri fit?  (Read 2091 times)
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« on: October 13, 2013, 09:46:59 PM »

Could it be a religious divide?
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2013, 07:04:29 AM »
« Edited: October 17, 2013, 08:32:09 PM by pbrower2a »

I so thought; I hadn't seen the map for months. Unless African-American, Baptists seem to be out of reach to Barack Obama. Contrast the Roman Catholics, a much more cosmopolitan lot. This could be bigger than the urban-rural divide. It helps explain why some urban areas  in Texas (notably Amarillo, Lubbock, Wichita Falls, and Abilene) are out of reach for liberals and why Tarrant County (even if it contains Fort Worth) is more R than D despite being highly urban. It also explains the regional divide within Florida (go north in Florida to find the political South) .

The Catholic Church may have a theology that looks cranky to any devout non-Catholic -- but know well that the Catholic Church is very rationalist on economics and science. The Catholic Church may have wanted Catholic immigrant families to toe the line on theology, but never wanted Catholics of any origin to become a permanent underclass. It has first-rate colleges -- try naming a first-rate college associated with the Baptist Church. To be sure, "leading church body" does not itself imply a majority, but it can say much about local attitudes. A religious body that holds the majority of both Filipino-Americans and Polish- Americans is by necessity cosmopolitan. Baptist Churches are as far from cosmopolitan as is possible. But if one lives in a community with a Catholic plurality one will surely encounter some ethnic and cultural diversity. Where I live, the Mexican-American immigrants seem to imitate the plurality of Polish-American Catholics who were there first at the least in educational and vocational achievement. They could have hardly picked a better model.  

The last Democratic nominee to win all but two of the states (the exceptions were Oklahoma and Virginia, both of which he barely lost) with large swaths of red was Jimmy Carter.

... this map can show that Missouri is much  more "southern" in politics than Florida or even Texas.      
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2013, 08:38:28 PM »

Unfortunately, we have a lot of the Southern and Plains culture.  We're maybe 1/3 each: 1. proper civilized Midwestern (St. Louis mostly), 2. Arkansas/Tennessee style in the southern half of the state, and 3. sort of Kansas-like (rather than Iowa-like, alas) in the north.  So the State is about 2/3's horrific, 1/3 barely tolerable.

The presumes that folks from Arkansas and Tennessee are not "proper[ly] civilized." That is just an assumption.  I would hazard to guess that most folks can walk alone at night in most of rural Arkansas and Tennessee. Can folks walk alone at night in Chicago or Saint Louis? Most folks I know would consider roving gangs murdering each other by the hundreds a sign of barbarity, if not anarchy, rather than "proper civilization."

I wouldn't try it as a stranger. I've been in Chicago (the Loop and the area around Wrigley Field) by day... if you know what you are doing in the high-rent district of a giant city (even Atlanta) you might be OK.

Southern small towns are more dangerous than they look. Of course much of it is family violence, and in view of the demographics one's home could be very dangerous.  I'd be scared to work in a convenience store anywhere, especially at night.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies