Trumpcare eliminates mental health coverage from Medicaid (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 04, 2024, 07:32:51 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Trumpcare eliminates mental health coverage from Medicaid (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Trumpcare eliminates mental health coverage from Medicaid  (Read 2107 times)
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« on: March 20, 2017, 05:29:58 PM »

"Asperger's" isn't a real diagnosis any more and shouldn't have been one in the first place.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2017, 07:22:16 PM »

"Asperger's" isn't a real diagnosis any more and shouldn't have been one in the first place.
I most cordially disagree.

It was an artificial division within the autism spectrum that in practice functioned as a stratification.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2017, 10:00:51 PM »
« Edited: March 20, 2017, 10:13:26 PM by modern maverick »

It was an artificial division within the autism spectrum that in practice functioned as a stratification.
Wow, what the hell dude?

Care to make an actual argument to the contrary?

I was diagnosed with Asperger's when I was very young. I'm glad that the diagnosis is autism spectrum disorder now, and I'm much more willing to be open about it than I was before.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2017, 03:10:17 PM »
« Edited: March 21, 2017, 03:13:05 PM by modern maverick »

See, I get that, but I also think that whatever I have or had (Aspergers, "high-functioning autism", etc), is clearly different from someone who is completely nonverbal or who cannot handle certain textures, sounds, smells, or substances at all, rather than just being incredibly uncomfortable with them.

I don't know what to classify it as, and I don't want to stratify my diagnosis, but I'm unclear with how to classify it, either academically or in everyday speech. "Autism spectrum disorder" means absolutely nothing to me.

"High-functioning" and "low-functioning" aren't ideal but imo they're a lot better than treating different "levels" of functioning as different diagnoses. People can define themselves however they want and I'm sorry I intimated otherwise, but I think I'm allowed to find it disconcerting that this stratification entered common currency, especially considering the extent to which "lower-functioning" autistic people are dehumanized even by ostensible advocates for them.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies