Do any regions in Estonia or Latvia want to break away and join Russia? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 05, 2024, 01:13:26 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Do any regions in Estonia or Latvia want to break away and join Russia? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Do any regions in Estonia or Latvia want to break away and join Russia?  (Read 1701 times)
ag
Atlas Icon

« on: August 28, 2014, 07:06:37 PM »

I believe Narva is ~75% Russian. That does not necessarily mean the majority of the population has irredentist goals though.

More like 90%. And so are, really, Kohtla Jarve and Sillamae. A LOT more Russian than, say, Crimea. Daugavpils is majority Russian in Latvia. Creating a credibly-looking separatist movement in all of these areas (and more) would be a piece of cake for the Russian security services.

Do not kid yourselves. This is WAR. And it will not stop in Ukraine.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2014, 11:40:38 PM »

If they do I wouldn't blame them, given that the governments and people of the Baltic states openly admire genocidal Nazi collaborators.

I know: you prefer the genocidal GULAG guards.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2014, 11:51:37 PM »
« Edited: August 28, 2014, 11:53:22 PM by ag »

The Balts actually slaughtered their own Jewish populations before the Germans even passed through.

I had an uncle, who survived the Riga ghetto. He fled and was hidden by Latvian underground. The group that saved him, saved dosens of Jews - and a lot of people participated in the operation, risking the necks of their own and of their kids. Stop listening to Russian propaganda - you have already seen how much they lie, why do you insist on paying attention to them?

And, yes, we also lost many family members in the Holocaust in Lithuania. They lived in Alitus: it was taken over by the Germans within 14 hours of invasion. But many others would not flee the Germans: they could not imagine they could be any worse than the Russians. Just a week before the German attack, Russians deported over a 100 thousand Balts to concentration camps in Siberia, where a lot of them died. They had no reason to love those sadistic murderers - the Soviets. It is not their fault that the Germans turned out to be no better. But Germany was defeated and recoiled from its past. Russia continues to celebrate its inhumanity.

Yes, for Eastern Europeans WWII lasted till 1991. They have no love lost for the totalitarian dictatorship that enslaved them for decades. That does not make them fascist.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2014, 11:54:30 PM »

Tallin is also plurality Russian I believe. of course they are probably more integrated than the ones in Narva

It is called Tallinn.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2014, 11:58:36 PM »

This was the guy who saved my uncle

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jānis_Lipke

note the stamp those Latvian Nazis produced to commemorate him.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2014, 12:03:42 AM »

But he will interfere all right.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2014, 12:16:57 AM »

What's the difference between Narva and Kohtla Jarve or Sillamae?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies