Update for Everyone IV - Hungover
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 02:25:49 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Update for Everyone IV - Hungover
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 77
Author Topic: Update for Everyone IV - Hungover  (Read 118084 times)
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: February 26, 2016, 10:19:09 AM »

Missed like 80% of my uni lectures and seminars this week; really lost the motivation to do work
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #51 on: February 26, 2016, 12:40:30 PM »

I accidentally annoyed a professor and her reaction was so over-the-top and unkind that now I'm seriously considering starting to antagonize her on purpose. The subject had to do with Marcan authorship.
rpryor03
Bahamas

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #52 on: February 26, 2016, 05:27:01 PM »

I accidentally annoyed a professor and her reaction was so over-the-top and unkind that now I'm seriously considering starting to antagonize her on purpose. The subject had to do with Marcan authorship.

And what is her take on Marcan authorship?
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #53 on: February 26, 2016, 06:06:14 PM »
« Edited: February 26, 2016, 06:09:23 PM by Bow all your heads to our adored Mary Katherine. »

And what is her take on Marcan authorship?

That it's demonstrably post-Jewish-Roman War because it has Jesus describing/predicting the Jewish-Roman War. A very widely held view, but not literally above reasonable criticism in the way that she was or seemed to be claiming--not only are there obvious problems with this logic if you believe in an in any way supernatural Jesus, even if you don't political and religious firebrands predict military disaster all the time. (My way of saying this in the class discussion was 'seriously, just go down to Boston Common'.) That Mark has Jesus doing so in a way that turns out to be accurate in and of itself proves nothing.

What's especially frustrating is that one of our assigned readings holds that this is in fact something the so-called 'Historical Jesus' really said. Apparently Paula Fredriksen is allowed to think this but I'm not.
Classic Conservative
Junior Chimp

« Reply #54 on: February 26, 2016, 06:06:44 PM »

I learned today that a lot of my family is undecided between Trump and Sanders.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #55 on: February 26, 2016, 06:10:16 PM »

Ugh, arrogant close-minded professors are the worst. I haven't met any at UCLA so far, but I definitely had some bad experiences at Sciences Po (which isn't surprising considering arrogance and close-mindedness are the foundation of French culture).
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #56 on: February 26, 2016, 06:23:26 PM »

The other especially frustrating thing is that, although I'm far from alone among my classmates in being unhappy with her, she's insanely popular among the other faculty (including being personally close to my favorite professor) and every class above mine. Either she's trying out a new and dramatically worse teaching style this year or my class is unusual in our reluctance to uncritically accept whatever highly specific subvariant of liberal Protestant biblical scholarship she tells us to. Or she casts some sort of elven glamour effect that only starts taking hold once you've spent a whole semester with her.

Also, she can't pronounce any of the foreign students' names, and every time she tries she does a worse job than before.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #57 on: February 26, 2016, 06:30:31 PM »

Ugh, Texas A&M, why? Why must you be such a pain to apply for. Ugh!
Mopsus
MOPolitico
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -1.65

« Reply #58 on: February 26, 2016, 06:37:15 PM »

Amusingly, I just got into a debate with jmfsct (on the other place) in which he maintained that to assert that Mark was written prior to 70 A.D. is to assert that Jesus was supernatural (despite predicting the destruction of civilization being a fairly unremarkable thing for an apocalypse monger to do).
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #59 on: February 26, 2016, 06:59:26 PM »

Missed like 80% of my uni lectures and seminars this week; really lost the motivation to do work

The only important thing is you do the stuff the actually counts grades wise, especially if you're a first year (are you?)
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #60 on: February 26, 2016, 07:41:01 PM »
« Edited: February 26, 2016, 09:58:47 PM by Californian Tony Returns »

The other especially frustrating thing is that, although I'm far from alone among my classmates in being unhappy with her, she's insanely popular among the other faculty (including being personally close to my favorite professor) and every class above mine. Either she's trying out a new and dramatically worse teaching style this year or my class is unusual in our reluctance to uncritically accept whatever highly specific subvariant of liberal Protestant biblical scholarship she tells us to. Or she casts some sort of elven glamour effect that only starts taking hold once you've spent a whole semester with her.

Also, she can't pronounce any of the foreign students' names, and every time she tries she does a worse job than before.

Personally I've more often found myself in the situation of liking a professor everybody else hates, than the opposite. But in any case yeah, sometimes people react quite differently to certain kinds of teaching.

If you can afford to antagonize her without facing negative repercussions on your academic success (which I guess might be easier in your situation than in mine) then by all means speak your mind. I'd be curious to see how that goes!
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #61 on: February 26, 2016, 07:59:48 PM »

My father just revealed he qualified for the Boston Marathon.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #62 on: February 26, 2016, 09:40:28 PM »

I've been fighting it, because I truly am a believer in picking the best candidates regardless of party, but despite Democratic mediocrity, Republican insanity, as exemplified by that of the past twenty-five hours, has led me to switch my avatar from independent green to Democratic Red.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #63 on: February 26, 2016, 11:04:03 PM »

I don't get it though, didn't you just move Sad?
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #64 on: February 26, 2016, 11:45:17 PM »

I don't get it though, didn't you just move Sad?

The move back to my alma mater's town was temporary so I could my clutter out that didn't make it back to the folks, and yes to escape the clutches of a of dead-end job to folks routine. It wasn't meant to be permanent, honestly no living situation is going to be anywhere close to stable until I've figured out where I'm going for my Masters. Texas A&M just happens to be the first on the list that's due.

But there's been a lot of miscommunication and confusion regarding what needs to be done until just a few days ago, so now I'm scrambling like mad trying to make it to the deadline.

Yeah, this has been a crazy month. You can PM me for more details on the insanity.

bagelman
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -4.17

P P P
« Reply #65 on: February 27, 2016, 12:01:16 AM »

In bed, being bitten by tiny bugs. Our household is now making too much money for medical subsidies and my parents seem to be warm to the idea of President Trump. I'm thinking of buying a steering wheel for my computer so I can drive imaginary trucks in Europe with more realistic controls.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #66 on: February 27, 2016, 12:10:44 AM »

My exile has expired, and I have returned with news. I'll be working at PredictIt for the summer, and also got approved for London study abroad next semester.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #67 on: February 27, 2016, 09:11:24 AM »

The only important thing is you do the stuff the actually counts grades wise, especially if you're a first year (are you?)

I am; I've managed to keep on top of my essays and get relatively good marks back on them. I'm in first year so I have the ability to take it a bit easy, just feels pointless paying out all this money Tongue
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #68 on: February 27, 2016, 01:56:10 PM »

My exile has expired, and I have returned with news. I'll be working at PredictIt for the summer, and also got approved for London study abroad next semester.

What university will be hosting you, and what will you be studying there?

Queen Mary, and I'm focusing on Politics classes (big shocker). The downside is that I'll be there on Election Day so I won't be able to watch the full results unless I stay up really late. The upside is that I'll already be out of the country in case Trump wins, so I might just stay there.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #69 on: February 27, 2016, 10:21:44 PM »
« Edited: February 27, 2016, 10:24:18 PM by DavidB. »

I'm going to Raleigh for a week this summer to serve as a page for the NC House of Representatives. Can't wait to meet the GOP caucus clown car, but not looking forward to staying with a host family.

I also got accepted to one of those Washington DC shticks where you tour government buildings and meet with some of the Senators; that should be pretty fun.

Applying for a spot at the DNC with all the other nerdy little political kids is also on the schedule.

Mazal tov!

The downside is that I'll be there on Election Day so I won't be able to watch the full results unless I stay up really late.
This might be true, but it is absolutely no reason not to stay up imo Tongue I'm staying up for races that are a lot less important and I'm not even an American, plus I live in an even "worse" timezone. Oh, and congrats on going to London!
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

« Reply #70 on: February 28, 2016, 01:34:56 AM »

I didn't get accepted to the RLI, they told me too many people applied from my region :/
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #71 on: February 28, 2016, 10:45:11 PM »

Pics or didn't happen.
Clark Kent
ClarkKent
United States

« Reply #72 on: February 29, 2016, 09:47:25 PM »

I got accepted into UConn. That brings it up to three schools I got into (Texas A&M, Ohio State, and UConn) and one that I got rejected from (Texas Austin).
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #73 on: February 29, 2016, 11:09:15 PM »

Wow. The next time it's February 29, we'll be looking back at the first four years of the TRUMP Administration and talking about her bid for reelection. How about them apples.
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #74 on: February 29, 2016, 11:12:39 PM »

Wow. The next time it's February 29, we'll be looking back at the first four years of the [TRUMP De La Fuente Administration and talking about her bid for reelection. How about them apples.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 77  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies