Is this the end of the GOP? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 30, 2024, 06:54:04 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Is this the end of the GOP? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Is this the end of the GOP?  (Read 1207 times)
Beefalow and the Consumer
Beef
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.77, S: -8.78

« on: May 04, 2016, 01:19:12 PM »

No, but sensible rich white men are finding it harder and harder to find a home with each passing election cycle.
Beef
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2016, 01:47:29 PM »

No, but sensible rich white men are finding it harder and harder to find a home with each passing election cycle.

I would think that Democratic Party is their natural home at this point.

That's where they've been fleeing for 25 years.  It's why New Jersey and Connecticut went from reliably Republican to solidly Democrat, and why Delaware is no longer a swing state.

But if the Sanders/Warren faction pull the party LEFT...
Beef
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2016, 02:05:37 PM »

Nope, call me when the Democrats have supermajorities in the Senate and the House.

John Boehner was effectively ousted as Speaker, and NO ONE wanted the job other than TPP nutjobs.  The GOP may have slim majorities, but they are internally dysfunctional and the circus tent is collapsing.
Beef
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2016, 02:21:47 PM »

Not bloody likely.  The GOP is still doing quite well on the state government level, and it is very likely that they will still hold the House after the 2016 election.  The Republican Party is 160 years old in a country with a political system that highly rewards a two-party structure.  

However, they need to make some changes if they want to win Presidential elections.  The United States' two major parties have shown great resilience and the ability to adapt when they're out of power.  The GOP has not been successful in doing this over the last several years, but I have to imagine they will eventually.

I don't think the point is about them winning or losing Presidential elections.  Even if Trump wins, this is still terrible for the GOP.  In fact, a Trump victory may be worse.  There is no party unity.  Half the party hates the man.  Most of the party hated his alternative, Cruz.  They were incapable of putting forth a candidate to unify the base.  They are no longer a five-ring circus; they are five separate circus tents.

What happens when Trump takes office and has to work with a GOP Congressional leadership?  How exactly is that going to go, when he is bound to alienate half of them?

This party is literally falling apart.  How do they move forward and pick up the pieces?
Beef
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2016, 03:54:06 PM »

Allowing the 80% of Americans to vote is stealing. Well known fact. Great fact. Amazing fact. One of my favorites. Movement conservatives have been cheated. Caucuses are the only democratic way to vote. Another one of my favorite facts.

The nominating contests are not national semifinals.

What's undemocratic is that the two major parties control ballot access, media access, debate access, etc.  You want to look at what's wrong with the process, start there.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies