If you could introduce a Constitutional Amendment What would it be (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 07, 2024, 01:46:44 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Constitution and Law (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  If you could introduce a Constitutional Amendment What would it be (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: If you could introduce a Constitutional Amendment What would it be  (Read 70741 times)
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« on: October 28, 2015, 11:50:07 PM »

Personhood Admendement, Concealed Carry Admendment and Legal Tender Admendment.

That's a Christian Libertarian dream slate.

All the amendments proposed within The Liberty Amendments by Mark Levin.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2016, 12:16:42 AM »

I wouldn't introduce one. I'd introduce all of the amendments from the book The Liberty Amendments by Mark Levin.

I like Oldies pro-life one too.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2016, 11:59:37 AM »

I wouldn't introduce one. I'd introduce all of the amendments from the book The Liberty Amendments by Mark Levin.

How does an amendment restricting early voting count as a liberty amendment? The rest of that conservative laundry list, I can see how they could claim the title, even when I think they're not good amendments. But limiting voting opportunity is the very antithesis of liberty. It also goes against the general theme of that set, of giving more power to the States.

A lot of the authors concerns about early voting are about preventing fraud. Why wouldn't you want to vote the day after your taxes are due? Or let the states veto a Supreme Court decision, or a balanced budget amendment?
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2016, 03:17:23 AM »

Revoke DC electoral votes and subject them to Maryland

Puerto Rico Statehood

All The Amendments in Mark Levin's The Liberty Amendments

MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2016, 12:54:35 AM »

1. No war unless the U.S. is directly attacked or barring a 2/3 vote in both houses of Congress. This includes the wars that haven't actually been wars, like Afghanistan and Iraq.

2. Abolish judicial elections

3. Addition of Puerto Rico (providing they democratically allow for it) and the District of Columbia as states, with the congressional representation therein implied.

4.(This will never, ever, happen, but it's on my wishlist) Removal of the 2nd amendment.

5. Ending the death penalty.

6. Healthcare as a right.

7. Automatic registration of all citizens to vote

8. Term limits of 16 years for Supreme Court justices. In the event of a justice's death he/she is replaced by a nominee from the judiciary committee members of the party of whoever the president was who nominated the deceased justice. The replacement justice serves out the remainder of the deceased justice's term

9. Abolishing gerrymandering through impartial redistricting committees

10. Ending the standards by which treaties are U.S. law.

11. Corporate personhood is over, SuperPACs are illegal, and maximum contribution to a political campaign is $100 for the primary, and $100 for the general election. Every citizen gets a $100 tax credit for political donations, like they have in Oregon.

12. Minimum mandatory tax rate of 70% on marginal tax rates.

13. Maximum wages, although what amount I can't be certain of off the top of my head.

14. Abolition of the electoral college.

15. Abolish caucuses in primary elections, have mail in ballots in both the primaries and general in all states.

16. Mandatory voting in general election with a penalty of a small fine.

17. Instant-runoff voting in all elections, both statewide and federal.

1. I'm fine with this.
2. Not sure
3. Yes for Puerto Rico, DC returned to Maryland
4. Not gonna happen.
5. Both Old and New Testament give clear credence to the death penalty.
6. Keep government out of it
7. I'm open to this. But allow for ID to protect sanctity of the vote
8. There are similarities to the Liberty Amendments in this. Let's talk
9. If VRA districts are abolished as well. VRA districts are often the source of gerrymandering
10. Need to research this
11. Make the max 1,000$ and I'd support it
12.NO Income TAX
13. Market decides wages not government
14. NO!!! The Electoral College is part of preserving our Republic against absolute democracy (America is a Repubic)
15. Absolutely not. Let the states decide. (I'd go caucuses)
16. Government shouldn't be using financial threats to make citizens vote or having health insurance
17. Competition is good.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2016, 06:47:46 PM »

1. No war unless the U.S. is directly attacked or barring a 2/3 vote in both houses of Congress. This includes the wars that haven't actually been wars, like Afghanistan and Iraq.

2. Abolish judicial elections

3. Addition of Puerto Rico (providing they democratically allow for it) and the District of Columbia as states, with the congressional representation therein implied.

4.(This will never, ever, happen, but it's on my wishlist) Removal of the 2nd amendment.

5. Ending the death penalty.

6. Healthcare as a right.

7. Automatic registration of all citizens to vote

8. Term limits of 16 years for Supreme Court justices. In the event of a justice's death he/she is replaced by a nominee from the judiciary committee members of the party of whoever the president was who nominated the deceased justice. The replacement justice serves out the remainder of the deceased justice's term

9. Abolishing gerrymandering through impartial redistricting committees

10. Ending the standards by which treaties are U.S. law.

11. Corporate personhood is over, SuperPACs are illegal, and maximum contribution to a political campaign is $100 for the primary, and $100 for the general election. Every citizen gets a $100 tax credit for political donations, like they have in Oregon.

12. Minimum mandatory tax rate of 70% on marginal tax rates.

13. Maximum wages, although what amount I can't be certain of off the top of my head.

14. Abolition of the electoral college.

15. Abolish caucuses in primary elections, have mail in ballots in both the primaries and general in all states.

16. Mandatory voting in general election with a penalty of a small fine.

17. Instant-runoff voting in all elections, both statewide and federal.

1. I'm fine with this.
2. Not sure
3. Yes for Puerto Rico, DC returned to Maryland
4. Not gonna happen.
5. Both Old and New Testament give clear credence to the death penalty.
6. Keep government out of it
7. I'm open to this. But allow for ID to protect sanctity of the vote
8. There are similarities to the Liberty Amendments in this. Let's talk
9. If VRA districts are abolished as well. VRA districts are often the source of gerrymandering
10. Need to research this
11. Make the max 1,000$ and I'd support it
12.NO Income TAX
13. Market decides wages not government
14. NO!!! The Electoral College is part of preserving our Republic against absolute democracy (America is a Repubic)
15. Absolutely not. Let the states decide. (I'd go caucuses)
16. Government shouldn't be using financial threats to make citizens vote or having health insurance
17. Competition is good.

This is the problem with you. You are a dominionist. You think because the Old Testament and New Testament gives way to the death penalty that it should be legal? That's not how it's supposed to be. I also agree the second amendment should be abolished and that healthcare should be a right. The government in healthcare can't be worse than the way things are now. Simply put, healthcare is, and should be, a right.

Where do you think the Founders based their support for the death penalty? The Bible. My reasoning is based in history not what you call do dominionist theology.  Let's have a debate about that. Are you up for it?
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2016, 09:47:07 AM »

a few amendments that come to mind at the moment, without delving into repealing existing ones:
-abolish electoral college and establish popular vote with IRV voting
-change senate terms to four years instead of six, giving each state the ability to vote in the senate every election (Class I in presidential years in all states, Class II in off years for all states--its always bugged me that in any given year 17 states have no say)
-abolish caucuses and fully closed primaries
-change the House to proportional representation (abolishing actual districts and just allocating that number of representatives to each state)

I never understood the "we're not a democracy, we're a republic" argument as any country with a president is a republic, be it a federal, direct democracy, dictatorship, etc. Democracy and republic are not mutually exclusive.

So you're ok with folks from one party being able to sabotage the other parties primary? I'm not. It's Democrats who crossed into Republican primaries and caucuses who foisted Trump on us.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2016, 12:33:20 PM »

a few amendments that come to mind at the moment, without delving into repealing existing ones:
-abolish electoral college and establish popular vote with IRV voting
-change senate terms to four years instead of six, giving each state the ability to vote in the senate every election (Class I in presidential years in all states, Class II in off years for all states--its always bugged me that in any given year 17 states have no say)
-abolish caucuses and fully closed primaries
-change the House to proportional representation (abolishing actual districts and just allocating that number of representatives to each state)

I never understood the "we're not a democracy, we're a republic" argument as any country with a president is a republic, be it a federal, direct democracy, dictatorship, etc. Democracy and republic are not mutually exclusive.

So you're ok with folks from one party being able to sabotage the other parties primary? I'm not. It's Democrats who crossed into Republican primaries and caucuses who foisted Trump on us.

This is not even close to true.

Prove it
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies