Pennsylvania 2014 Discussion Thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 12:53:51 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Pennsylvania 2014 Discussion Thread (search mode)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Author Topic: Pennsylvania 2014 Discussion Thread  (Read 86472 times)
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #50 on: April 07, 2014, 05:25:54 PM »

Just saw Schwartz in the Phila market.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #51 on: April 08, 2014, 07:39:52 AM »

The underlying issue is still well in the news as well:  http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2014/04/pa_lawmakers_call_for_fuller_d.html#incart_m-rpt-1

The very Democratic leaning State College Centre Daily Times, which endorsed her, and didn't cover the story for two weeks (at least on-line) came out with a blistering editorial on that and the "investigation of the investigation." 

According to Wikipedia, the major good government group, "The Committee of Seventy," has called for a special prosecutor to investigate Kane.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #52 on: April 08, 2014, 09:12:41 PM »

Corbett trails Generic D by 22 points

Similar to the 19 he trailed Wolf by in the most recent Quinnipiac poll.

I'm a bit suspicious of a poll where the results show that 100% plan to vote.  Smiley
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #53 on: April 08, 2014, 09:27:08 PM »

Wolf is outspending everyone:  http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2014/04/wolf_outspends_all_rivals_toge.html#incart_m-rpt-1

What I found interesting is that McCord raised less money than Wolf, even less than McGinty.  Wolf is largely self funded and isn't focusing on fund raising. 

I think it might come down to Wolf and Schwartz.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #54 on: April 10, 2014, 08:10:20 AM »

Now it is the Washington Post talking about Kane:  http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/post-politics/wp/2014/04/09/read-in-wednesday-april-9-2014-secret-service-supervisor-demoted-hope-for-ui-in-the-house-mcallister-will-seek-fbi-probe/

Kane took what could have been a 2-3 day story, and transformed it into a major scandal.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #55 on: April 10, 2014, 05:41:53 PM »
« Edited: April 12, 2014, 05:51:49 PM by J. J. »

One paragraph on an online blog post in the WaPo does not a major scandal make. This whole thing still feels like it's something only hacks care about.

It does when they are talking about it three weeks later.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #56 on: April 12, 2014, 05:46:18 PM »

Williams just said he'd take the case, but he wants everything.

A possible conflict of interest has cropped up, with a Kane staffer (prior to becoming a staffer) being one of those people who took money.

Re-election is not an issue for Kane; continued survival as AG is. 
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #57 on: April 12, 2014, 05:58:03 PM »

In the Governor's race, Schwartz came out swinging against Wolf in a debate, accusing him of buying the nomination.  McCord's stepbrother accused him of dissing his stepfather.   
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #58 on: April 13, 2014, 06:51:47 AM »

If all Schwartz has to hit Wolf with is the loan then he has this thing sewn up it's just not a thing that's going to get voters to abandon him. And Schwartz's first campaign ad on CHIP seemed weak and ineffective it's just not something people care about.

Wolf's commercials are better, but Schwartz's commercials are good.

Schwartz is in a position where she has a reasonable amount of money and is raising it much better than the largely self funded Wolf.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #59 on: April 14, 2014, 11:03:17 AM »

I'm not sure, but I think some of the polling last year did list her as ahead.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #60 on: April 16, 2014, 04:04:45 PM »

Another Schwartz ad is out about "the old boys network."

Corbett's primary challenger somewhat surprisingly won in court to stay in the ballot but there will be an appeal.

Is the PAGOP really that terrified of a some guy being on the primary ballot? How sad.

They remember Peg Luksic.  Smiley
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #61 on: April 16, 2014, 07:31:56 PM »

It just got a little worse for Kane.  The sting targeted 50 people, 25 black, 23 white, and 3 Hispanic.  8 were Republican.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #62 on: April 16, 2014, 11:24:56 PM »

I would add the first group was not actually targeted.

http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2014/04/legislative_stings_first_suspe.html#incart_river_default

This could have an effect on the governor's race.  It rallies the Republicans.

J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #63 on: April 20, 2014, 07:31:34 PM »

<Raises hand>

For Kane herself, big deal. A possible chance to recover and stay in office in two years IF it doesn't get much worse or prolonged, but at very least in regards her running against Toomey--baring some independent investigation broadly, unconditionally, and LOUDLY exonerating her--she's already been "Christieized".

For the governor's race, however--meh. Even moreso if "outsider" Wolf is the nominee as expected, but not much worse even if it's Schwartz or McCord.

I'll say it again: At present it seems this realistically won't change more than about a thousand votes statewide come November. In trying to tar Wolf and other Democrats with Kane's woes, Corbett backers are grasping at straws here because---well, what else have they got? This is VERY much a Kathleen Kane problem, not a Democrat problem. And the type of Republican "rallied" enough by Kane's scandal to turn out and vote for Corbett because "CORRUPT DEMOCRATS!!" was 99% likely to vote anyway.

But don't stop believing, JJ.

Wolf already distance himself from her, so he would be the least damaged.

Schwartz, however, is seen as a liberal woman, just like Kane.  She did not distance herself.

Even for Wolf (and I may be voting for him), it creates doubt with Republicans in the general conduct of Democrats.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #64 on: April 24, 2014, 08:45:36 AM »

Kanegate takes another turn:  http://www.philly.com/philly/news/local/20140424_Kane_not_turning_over_sting_files_to_Williams.html

She is being compared to Emily Latella. 

It is almost as if Kane is deliberately trying to destroy herself.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #65 on: April 24, 2014, 11:03:04 AM »

Screwing up royally.

Some of her PR people have quit; Kane has gone through three press secretaries in less than two years. 

As I said about another local candidate recently, this would be the situation where, if I was working for the person, I would walk up them, grab them by the lapels, and say, "What the f[Inks] are you thinking?"
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #66 on: April 24, 2014, 04:17:53 PM »

Minor attack, but is the start of sniping by Schwartz on Wolf.  http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2014/04/accused_of_plagiarism_wolf_edi.html#incart_river_default
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #67 on: April 24, 2014, 05:55:24 PM »

Your concern trolling is admirable.

I, for one, welcome Tom Wolf's ascent.

I actually like Wolf and prefer to see him challenge Corbett in the fall.

I would definitely vote for Corbett over Schwartz and am leaning to voting Wolf over Corbett.

We could see a bruising primary.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #68 on: April 24, 2014, 06:00:05 PM »

It means Corbett is coming baaack from the political dead.

Ya the Penn State scandal/coverup , massive education cuts, numerous gaffes "Just close your eyes"  are all just going away

The Penn State Scandal has exploded with Kane.  What has come out has supported what he has said.

Corbett has done exceptionally little, but it seems like everyone else is screwing up worse.  Smiley
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #69 on: April 26, 2014, 10:24:23 AM »
« Edited: April 26, 2014, 10:31:40 AM by J. J. »

Title: "Kane's Korruption Keep-Away."

This is a Democratic newspaper, the Harrisburg Patriot News

How Democratic?  They panned the Gettysburg Address. 
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #70 on: April 26, 2014, 11:05:25 AM »

Back in 1994, all of the so-called experts predicted then-California Governor Pete Wilson (R) was toast following the disastrous budget crisis, etc.,

Wilson came from the political dead and won reelection by double digits.

Corbett, thus far, has not given us any evidence that he has near the political skill that Pete Wilson has.

The question is, do any of the Democratic candidates have the political skills of Corbett.  I am starting to wonder.

Corbett cannot win the governor's race, but Democratic Nominee [insert name here] can lose it.

It might be a case of the evil of two lessers.  Smiley
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #71 on: April 26, 2014, 09:59:09 PM »

Back in 1994, all of the so-called experts predicted then-California Governor Pete Wilson (R) was toast following the disastrous budget crisis, etc.,

Corbett, thus far, has not given us any evidence that he has near the political skill that Pete Wilson has.

The question is, do any of the Democratic candidates have the political skills of Corbett.  I am starting to wonder.

Corbett cannot win the governor's race, but Democratic Nominee [insert name here] can lose it.

If Corbett had such great political skills, his approval wouldn't be sitting at 36%.

My point is that Corbett is not great, but the others might be worse.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #72 on: April 27, 2014, 02:39:34 PM »

I think we're at the point in PA where voters are willing to overlook the flaws of Corbett's opponent in order to throw him out. He's deeply disliked and very unpopular and the voters are ready to get rid of him unless one of the Dem nominees has a criminal background or something I'm not seeing how one of them could allow for Corbett to be re-elected.

I spent most of the 2010 cycle calling him "Tom Corbett, Space Cadet," so I am not exactly a fan.  Smiley

One of the great problems is Kane.  We elected her, in spite of her flaws, and we have Kanegate.  People just have to look at her and ask, do we want to do that again?  It is more prevalent with Schwartz, as both are flaming liberal women, but it is still there with the other candidates.

(And Kane is suppose to be investigating the Sandusky investigation, but it has taken her half as long, so far, as the AG's investigation.)

I easily would have voted for Wagner over Corbett in 2010, but not a more liberal Onorato.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #73 on: April 28, 2014, 08:32:30 AM »

Kanegate still moving on:  http://www.phillymag.com/news/2014/04/28/abandoned-sting-case-kathleen-kane-frank-fina-grudge-match/
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #74 on: April 28, 2014, 08:40:58 AM »

If Corbett had such great political skills, his approval wouldn't be sitting at 36%.

My point is that Corbett is not great, but the others might be worse.

"Kathleen Kane" =/= "others".

About the only thing this has proven JJ, is that Corbett might be able to make a political comeback in 2016 by running against Kane (assuming he could get the GOP nom).

Kane basically won the AG's race by running against Corbett in 2012, even though Corbett was Governor at the time.  Smiley

The problem is, for Schwartz at least, is that:

1.  She is another liberal Democratic woman.

2.  Her themes, the old boy network, were Kane's themes.

Wolf does not have quite the same problem, though it still creates a problem.

In other news, Corbett is making heavy TV buys.  Fairly positive (and lacking details), and he does look grandfatherly.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies