Pennsylvania 2014 Discussion Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 01:50:40 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Pennsylvania 2014 Discussion Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 ... 43
Author Topic: Pennsylvania 2014 Discussion Thread  (Read 86478 times)
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #250 on: November 03, 2013, 03:46:25 PM »

I think this needs to be reported about three more times in this thread for people to get the point.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #251 on: November 03, 2013, 06:44:38 PM »

I think it's just the fact that Democrats love to hear it.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #252 on: November 03, 2013, 09:42:11 PM »

Corbett will tell the experts and pollsters to SHOVE IT: I'm seeking reelection and going to win.

Do NOT count out Corbett.

Wait, are you supporting Corbett?
RedSLC
SLValleyMan
United States

« Reply #253 on: November 03, 2013, 10:04:43 PM »

Corbett will tell the experts and pollsters to SHOVE IT: I'm seeking reelection and going to win.

Do NOT count out Corbett.

Wait, are you supporting Corbett?

I put this poster on my ignore list today.
Morning in Atlas
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #254 on: November 06, 2013, 02:03:41 AM »

Well, I got back a few hours ago from Mayor Gray's reelection party. The countdown to take down Corbett starts now.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #255 on: November 11, 2013, 04:50:51 PM »

Wagner will decide by December whether he will run for Governor again - http://www.politicspa.com/wagner-to-decide-on-guv-bid-by-december/52825/

The former two term Auditor General ran in 2010 and ran for Lt. Governor in 2002 (as Casey's unofficial running mate) so he is no stranger to statewide contests. Wagner's entrance would be huge not only because of his deep connections and experience with the establishment but also because he will be the only candidate from the west.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #256 on: November 15, 2013, 12:52:11 PM »

Harper Polling is out with some interesting findings. In the Dem primary, Schwartz leads the pack with 22%. Former DEP Secretary Katie McGinty is in second with 15%. McCord takes 12%, Hanger is at 7%, Pawlowski has 6% and Wolf is in last with 5%. 34% are undecided.

44% say they would prefer a "moderate, more electable Dem" while 38% want a "liberal Democrat who champions progressive issues."

Interesting numbers on abortion: only 52% say it should be legal in most cases with 43% saying it should be illegal in most cases. That part isn't surprising (to me at least). What is: men took a more liberal stance on the issue than women. Younger people continue the recent trend of supporting more restrictions.

http://www.politicspa.com/harper-poll-pa-dems-split-on-abortion-more/52946/
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #257 on: November 24, 2013, 11:41:08 AM »

I think you are aware that I am not a fan of Corbett.  Consider that when I post.

1.  Corbett just had a fairly major victory on transportation funding, including an increase in the speed limit to 70 MPH on some Interstates.  That tends to be popular outside SEPA.  http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2013/11/70_mph_speed_limits_coming_to.html  PA conservatives like fast driving and cheap liquor.  Smiley   If the State Stores were sold, he'd win in a landslide.

There could be some legislative victories that strengthen him.

2.  The "Kane investigation" on Sandusky will go no place.  Corbett was accused of dragging his feet.  His "alibi" is that they didn't know about the other victims until October 2010.  It came from a tipster to the Centre County DA, Parks Miller.   Parks Miller is a fairly liberal Democrat, female, and a Kane supporter.  She first ran in 2009, and Corbett supported her opponent.  She has zero reasons to cover up for Corbett.  I think they can show that he didn't know about the second and subsequent victims until late 2010.  Some of the Sandusky investigation/PSU complaints will collapse.

Also, the trials should be over; I expect convictions, though Spanier could escape. 

Sandusky will have a lesser impact than it does now.

3.  Fracking is receding as an issue.  Schwartz wants to tax it, not ban it.  http://www.phillymag.com/news/2013/09/05/top-corbett-challenger-puts-cards-table-tax-fracking/  Corbett can be seen as being on the right side of history on this issue.  Even more than Sandusky, this could have damaged him.

Fracking is a moderate plus for Corbett.

4.  Corbett does slightly better in the African American community that the average Republican.  He has been known to fire senior staffers for even minor comments.  It more than just having a black grandson.

There will be slight erosion of the Democratic base.

I wouldn't proclaim him the winner in 2014 just yet, but I think he will be strengthening going into the election.

Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #258 on: November 24, 2013, 12:27:31 PM »

J.J., didn't that transportation bill raise taxes?
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #259 on: November 24, 2013, 12:41:13 PM »

They way they are doing it, it is basically a user fee and hidden:  http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2013/11/by_the_numbers_transportation.html

It is a nice chance to see people working on projects and saying, "See, Corbett is doing something."
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #260 on: November 24, 2013, 01:29:26 PM »
« Edited: November 24, 2013, 01:34:13 PM by Gravis Marketing »

They way they are doing it, it is basically a user fee and hidden:  http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2013/11/by_the_numbers_transportation.html

It is a nice chance to see people working on projects and saying, "See, Corbett is doing something."

Interesting. Do you think Republican anti-tax voters will be receptive to this argument?

"Conservatives vow to punish Pa. lawmakers who supported gas tax hike"

http://www.pottsmerc.com/government-and-politics/20131122/conservatives-vow-to-punish-pa-lawmakers-who-supported-gas-tax-hike
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #261 on: November 24, 2013, 01:35:32 PM »

Basically, Republicans outside of the SE hate it (not to say that there aren't Republicans here that don't like it).
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #262 on: November 24, 2013, 01:42:12 PM »

They way they are doing it, it is basically a user fee and hidden:  http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2013/11/by_the_numbers_transportation.html

Interesting. Do you think Republican anti-tax voters will be receptive to this argument?

http://www.pottsmerc.com/government-and-politics/20131122/conservatives-vow-to-punish-pa-lawmakers-who-supported-gas-tax-hike

Some of it are user fees, and I doubt if we would see it coming in.

I basically saw Thornburgh do the same think in 1981-2, successfully.
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #263 on: November 24, 2013, 03:25:52 PM »

Are you sticking to the idea that the transportation bill is a positive for Corbett's reelection?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #264 on: November 24, 2013, 10:09:04 PM »

Are you sticking to the idea that the transportation bill is a positive for Corbett's reelection?

I know I'm not being asked but I'll answer anyway: overall, yes. It will help his standing in the SE. He's getting a lot of praise from Dem leaders down here that were very worried about it not passing. Yeah, he's hitting a few bumps with the GOP but he's used to that now and, quite frankly, I think a large part of his strategy will be charging up the GOP against Schwartz.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #265 on: November 25, 2013, 09:22:23 AM »

Pennsylvania will be a toss up, not lean dem.
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #266 on: November 25, 2013, 09:43:49 AM »

I know I'm not being asked but I'll answer anyway: overall, yes. It will help his standing in the SE. He's getting a lot of praise from Dem leaders down here that were very worried about it not passing. Yeah, he's hitting a few bumps with the GOP but he's used to that now and, quite frankly, I think a large part of his strategy will be charging up the GOP against Schwartz.

That's interesting and a good point. As a Democrat, I think it's good policy (without examining the details) and applaud his getting it passed. I would never vote for him but I'm sure there are moderate Republicans in the SE who appreciate this accomplishment. Since I only look at PA federally I forget that they can vote very differently on a state level.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #267 on: November 25, 2013, 01:57:31 PM »

Ouch.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #268 on: November 25, 2013, 02:25:11 PM »

Yeah, that's almost literally unbelievable.
Flake
JacobTiver
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #269 on: November 25, 2013, 04:59:46 PM »

Ouch.

How do you mess up that badly? Is he that awful??
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #270 on: November 25, 2013, 05:07:18 PM »

Ouch.

Wow...so his overall approval will be in the 20s? Not that Corbett being toxic is news or anything, but I never expected him to drop THAT low.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #271 on: November 26, 2013, 10:56:46 AM »

24% approve, 65% disapprove. Dem primary is wide open with yet announced Wagner just four points behind Schwartz. 42% of Republicans want Corbett as the nominee while 47% want someone else. Several Dems already at 50% against Corbett.

http://t.co/4BFXEu9Okm
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #272 on: November 26, 2013, 11:22:10 AM »

Why is he so unpopular?
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #273 on: November 26, 2013, 11:52:08 AM »

Ouch.

How do you mess up that badly? Is he that awful??

http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/main/2013/11/corbetts-numbers-just-keep-getting-worse.html#more

24% disapproval. He has gone below Rick Scott at his worst points.

At those low levels of support he could end up with mass demonstrations against him this summer.

Incompetent? Corrupt? Extreme?

Think of what happened in the Senatorial races in Indiana and Missouri: the Republican nominees for the US Senate trivialized rape as an abstraction with "legitimate rape" and similar formulations, and lost decisively in states that Barack Obama lost decisively. The Penn State scandal involved rape, and not as an abstraction -- boys getting raped by some assistant coach who betrayed a basic trust. Being involved in any attempted coverup after the fact is hard to recover from.   
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #274 on: November 26, 2013, 07:02:29 PM »

Only down 15-20 points? Looks like a toss up to me because PA is a "swing state".

Said every news outlet ever.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 ... 43  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies