Terrorist takeover of Federal building in Oregon
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 03, 2024, 04:23:12 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Terrorist takeover of Federal building in Oregon
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7
Author Topic: Terrorist takeover of Federal building in Oregon  (Read 19064 times)
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: January 08, 2016, 09:48:01 PM »

It'd be more appropriate to call them thieves rather than terrorists.  Certainly that's what they are advocating, the theft of public lands for their own private purposes.
Slander and/or Libel
Figs

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.83

« Reply #101 on: January 08, 2016, 10:25:55 PM »

It'd be more appropriate to call them thieves rather than terrorists.  Certainly that's what they are advocating, the theft of public lands for their own private purposes.

Though they're clearly pursuing a larger political agenda with the theft.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #102 on: January 09, 2016, 12:12:38 AM »

Only because its necessary for their theft to take place.  If they could steal the land they wanted without dabbling in politics, I doubt they'd bother.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #103 on: January 09, 2016, 12:20:03 AM »

Yeah, thieves, squatters, illegal occupiers, blackmailers...there's lots of appropriate terms.

Terrorists is not one of them, because who the hell are these yahoos terrorizing? And if "holing up somewhere with a gun and daring the authorities" is enough to get someone classified as a terrorist, we're going to be getting Homeland involved in a lot of common criminal cases.
Hillary pays minimum wage
United States

« Reply #104 on: January 09, 2016, 12:46:26 AM »

This is the "civilian army" Obama spoke about us needing in 2008. Look it up!
Slander and/or Libel
Figs

Political Matrix

« Reply #105 on: January 11, 2016, 10:07:16 AM »

Only because its necessary for their theft to take place.  If they could steal the land they wanted without dabbling in politics, I doubt they'd bother.

I don't think that's true at all. There's nothing to indicate that these guys would prefer not to be spouting their ideology into cameras.
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #106 on: January 11, 2016, 10:41:38 AM »

So how long does this go on for do you think? Personally if I was Kate Brown, I would have dealt with these idiots swiftly and ruthlessly to send the message to all these other anarchist idiots that if you try this anywhere else, you'll meet the same fate. I would deal with this the same way as Clinton dealt with Waco. The county sheriff out there says every one of the Y'all Qaeda members will be facing charges  when they emerge. I say just bulldoze the building and ship them all off to prison.
Slander and/or Libel
Figs

Political Matrix

« Reply #107 on: January 11, 2016, 10:43:43 AM »

Just let them go. Don't give them any ammunition to say that the federal government has imposed any hardship on them whatsoever. Make them look like cowardly fools who can't even properly outfit themselves for a siege, but need the government to magnanimously let them go out for snacks to re-equip. If this were more pressing or in a more populated area or something I might think otherwise, but it's probably the right move to not play at all into their dreams of martyrdom and persecution.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #108 on: January 11, 2016, 12:40:50 PM »

Just let them go. Don't give them any ammunition to say that the federal government has imposed any hardship on them whatsoever. Make them look like cowardly fools who can't even properly outfit themselves for a siege, but need the government to magnanimously let them go out for snacks to re-equip. If this were more pressing or in a more populated area or something I might think otherwise, but it's probably the right move to not play at all into their dreams of martyrdom and persecution.

Exactly. We even have precedent for peaceful solutions.

http://www.nytimes.com/1996/06/14/us/last-of-freemen-surrender-to-fbi-at-montana-site.html
Sumner 1868
tara gilesbie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #109 on: January 16, 2016, 02:17:13 AM »

One of the militia nuts stole a government car and was arrested. Has a long history with law enforcement.

http://www.oregonlive.com/oregon-standoff/2016/01/protester_arrested_in_burns_dr.html
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #110 on: January 16, 2016, 03:42:17 AM »

I forgot about this.  Is it still going on?  They must be running low on Cheetos and Mountain Dew by now, surely?
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #111 on: January 16, 2016, 01:07:48 PM »

One problem with the "hands off" attitude - what's going to happen when, say, a bunch of BLM or Occupy activists decide to take over a federal building somewhere else? Will the Justice Dept stay hands off there, too? Because if the two group don't get treated identically, this is just going to act as a primer for a future explosion.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #112 on: January 16, 2016, 01:13:12 PM »

I forgot about this.  Is it still going on?  They must be running low on Cheetos and Mountain Dew by now, surely?

Nope - they're free to go in to stock up at the grocery store, or go where ever else they'd like. There's reportedly no perimeter at all.
http://www.counterpunch.org/2016/01/14/fbi-to-malheur-militia-youre-free-to-travel/

I understand the Feds' desire to not have this blow up ugly, but I think they're going much too far. These people are criminals, and the message the government is sending is that its okay to be a criminal if you're white and armed.
user12345
wifikitten
« Reply #113 on: January 16, 2016, 02:42:58 PM »

Nope - they're free to go in to stock up at the grocery store, or go where ever else they'd like. There's reportedly no perimeter at all.
http://www.counterpunch.org/2016/01/14/fbi-to-malheur-militia-youre-free-to-travel/

I understand the Feds' desire to not have this blow up ugly, but I think they're going much too far. These people are criminals, and the message the government is sending is that its okay to be a criminal if you're white and armed.

They really just need to block off all the roads out of there so they can't come or go. Hell, the storeowners in the town should just not sell stuff to these people when they come to their stores.
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #114 on: January 16, 2016, 02:44:16 PM »

Some guy from the team that created Cards Against Humanity did send them a 55-gallon tub of lube. I'm sure they'll be fine.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #115 on: January 18, 2016, 12:11:39 AM »

Some guy from the team that created Cards Against Humanity did send them a 55-gallon tub of lube. I'm sure they'll be fine.

Wow, he must have gotten really rich off that game.  That's the most literal example of F.U. money I've ever heard.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #116 on: January 18, 2016, 10:54:06 AM »

Surround them, don't let anything or anyone in or out. Literally let them starve to death. It won't cause much controversy because I doubt they'd leave even if they were starving. "Well, they just didn't come out is all".
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #117 on: January 18, 2016, 11:06:13 AM »

Surround them, don't let anything or anyone in or out. Literally let them starve to death. It won't cause much controversy because I doubt they'd leave even if they were starving. "Well, they just didn't come out is all".

dude, I appreciate that you're trying to be non-partisan, but being non-partisanly psycho might not be the right tact imho
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #118 on: January 18, 2016, 11:23:25 AM »

dude, I appreciate that you're trying to be non-partisan, but being non-partisanly psycho might not be the right tact imho

Eh, no matter what political group or cause did it, you take over a government building you should get worse then that. Obama sending in say special forces would make the situation worse. My idea would make the least news and have the possibility of them coming out and surrendering on their own in the end.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #119 on: January 18, 2016, 02:38:43 PM »

There was an interview conducted by VOX News with an expert on right-wing militias, and while he recommended that the feds not fall into the trap of forcibly getting the seditionists out (which would invariably involve bloodshed), thus feeding into the paranoia and conspiracy theories so rampant in right-wing circles, he did recommend something else which I found interesting:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Something to consider.  
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #120 on: January 19, 2016, 01:41:37 PM »

Eh, no matter what political group or cause did it, you take over a government building you should get worse then that. Obama sending in say special forces would make the situation worse. My idea would make the least news and have the possibility of them coming out and surrendering on their own in the end.

"Get worse than that"?

Are you, or are you not, arguing to "surround them," not "let anything in or out," and "force them to starve," because you think those who occupy a government building deserve "even worse than [starvation]"?
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #121 on: January 19, 2016, 01:48:36 PM »

If the building has utilities, how about turning them off?
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #122 on: January 19, 2016, 08:12:12 PM »

I hope when they pass out the government airlifts them to a nice publicly-owned federal hospital to give them nice treatment; and when they wake up, the nurses hand them a bouquet of flowers reading "Get well soon xxx love Barack".
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #123 on: January 26, 2016, 05:19:31 AM »

Obama should spend less time praising Hillary and more time dealing with these terrorists.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #124 on: January 26, 2016, 12:27:01 PM »

So what's the casualty rate so far? How about infrastructure damage? What's the affected area?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies