Citizen participation in the Senate
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 03:10:37 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Citizen participation in the Senate
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Citizen participation in the Senate  (Read 6079 times)
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 14, 2009, 07:19:19 AM »

The Senate is a very open institution, and I'm happy that all citizens have access to it and are able to express their views.

One of the best ways for citizens to participate in Senate discussion is by posting in the protest and analysis thread. This way, everyone can make their voices heard without interfering in Senate business.

The Senate floor itself, however, is a unique place for elected senators and other important office holders to debate meaningful legislation for Atlasia.

I hope I speak for my fellow senators in humbly requesting that comments from outsiders be posted at the correct location. I have no problem with a comment every now and then.....but ultimately, we hold Senate elections for a reason, and representative democracy means allowing those elected to represent the people to make decisions among themselves.

Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2009, 07:28:56 AM »

I have no problem with certain parties engaging Senators in certain threads. When I was Attorney General I posted in Senate debates that dealt with legal matters, because I had a job-related interest in such a thing. Similarly, Purple State often posts in debates that involve him since he holds the position of Game Moderator (aka God) and HW posts in threads that deal with foreign-affairs since he's the SoEA.

But there comes a point where restraint has to be held by certain members. This is the Senate chamber, and we can't let every Tom, Dick, and Harry prance through here proposing changes to legislation because they feel like it. We are the Senators, this is our job, please leave us to it.

If random comments must be made, do it in the "Senate Protest and Analysis" thread, made another thread on the main board, or just make the small comment and walk away. We have our limits here.
Rowan
RowanBrandon
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 4.70

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2009, 09:26:02 AM »

I am working on legislation in regards to this problem, if anyone wants to work with me.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2009, 09:30:02 AM »

I am working on legislation in regards to this problem, if anyone wants to work with me.

I have been considering similar measures....but it might be best to try and solve the problem on a voluntary basis first.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2009, 09:34:46 AM »

I would certainly support a 'Senate Floor' discussion thread as 'Protest and Analysis' doesn't quite cut it.

That way constituents would have the right to discuss legislation 'live' and Senators can then essentially quote their sentiments on the floor along the lines of 'a constituent has raised the following...'
Rowan
RowanBrandon
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2009, 09:35:51 AM »

I would certainly support a 'Senate Floor' discussion thread as 'Protest and Analysis' doesn't quite cut it.

That way constituents would have the right to discuss legislation 'live' and Senators can then essentially quote their sentiments on the floor along the lines of 'a constituent has raised the following...'

That would work too. It's just becoming really a bit annoying to have non-senators active in the thread and essentially acting as an 11th senator.
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2009, 09:36:52 AM »
« Edited: September 14, 2009, 09:41:00 AM by True Conservative »

Thank you Franzl, I wondered where commentary on Senate matters is posted.

I wonder why it is called the protest and analysis thread, though.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2009, 11:25:46 AM »

Relevant rules:

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

Emphasis mine.

However, if such posts are excessive, please note:

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2009, 11:58:19 AM »

I think it would be good to start a new thread and sticky it, with the title something like "Senate discussion". It can be one thread non-Senators to state their feelings. Senators can respond to them there. We just couldn't let the debate on the bills move there. They belong in the bill's thread.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2009, 01:09:31 PM »

I am slightly torn on this. Before I entered the Senate I was pretty active in discussing legislation on the Senate floor. A quick look at the Middle East Peace Act reveals as much. However, we do have elected officials for a reason.

I suspect much of this depends on both the nature of the Senate, as well as the nature of those commenting. I never aimlessly posted my sentiments on every bill on the floor before I became a senator, but rather only in substantive ways on bills I thought should be shaped differently. Much of what we see now seems to be an urge to have one's voice heard everywhere and anywhere possible. That becomes a burden and a nuisance.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2009, 01:21:50 PM »

The Atlasian Senate has long proven itself, up to now, open and accessible to the citizenry of the Republic. I don't favour closing the doors.
Rowan
RowanBrandon
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2009, 01:26:58 PM »

The Atlasian Senate has long proven itself, up to now, open and accessible to the citizenry of the Republic. I don't favour closing the doors.

Then whats the point of even having an elected senate when you have non-senators in there even WRITING amendments. It's only certain people in particular, but it is really ruining it for people that want to offer their 2 cents and be on with it.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2009, 01:35:39 PM »

Then whats the point of even having an elected senate when you have non-senators in there even WRITING amendments. It's only certain people in particular, but it is really ruining it for people that want to offer their 2 cents and be on with it.

I would say it is both about the nature of the Senate and the nature of the comments. I was definitely writing up amendments before I was elected Senator. Granted, I was a member of the Mideast Assembly, but most of the bills did not relate directly to the region.

Senators vote, which is really their most important function.

What I do wish to see (Hash, I remember you saying you were working on this) is a Senate Noticeboard and discussion page in the Elections board. As a matter of fact, I think I will make one right now. Call it part of my job as GM. Wink Ways to bring the Senate to the people could help alleviate the worries here.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2009, 01:45:31 PM »

An attempt to, well, close the doors was tried once before - and failed. The problem really is that the Senate does everything in multi-purpose threads, there's no seperation between committee and chamber.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2009, 02:09:41 PM »

We don't need to close the doors of the Senate as a result. I would simply appreciate if citizens refrained voluntarily from overly excessive participation on the Senate floor.

It's worked that way for a long time.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2009, 02:13:38 PM »

I try to make contributions to Senate threads when I feel like there is a really substantial contribution I can make. That includes suggesting amendments, & I don't see much wrong with that as non-Senators still need a Senator to propose the amendment & they still can't vote on the amendments they come up with. After all, merely being able to comment is worthless compared to being able to vote, for obvious reasons.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2009, 02:14:51 PM »

I don't think anyone is opposed to the manner in which you participate, PiT.

This is more or less about a certain citizen....Wink
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2009, 02:19:32 PM »

Ah, I was largely responding to comments by the esteemed Senator RowanBrandon that non-Senators proposing amendments eliminated the purpose of an elected Senate. I've never really commented more than a few times a week on bills in the Senate when I wasn't a Senator, anyway.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2009, 03:07:36 PM »

Don't close the Senate. Elected officials exist to vote.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2009, 01:56:57 PM »

What?  Who is doing this?  I must have missed something Tongue

Anyway, I don't like this idea.  I like to chime in on senate debate even when not currently a senator, I think if it is done infrequently and only to make a legitimate point rather than just to add a pithy comment to post pad, it is worth doing.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2009, 02:05:54 PM »

So long as former Senators can still step foot on the floor for lobbying purposes.  You wouldn't BELIEVE what the McNugget industry is paying me to shape the debate.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2009, 10:27:15 PM »

As a former Vice President, President Pro Tem and Senator, I strongly oppose any move to close the Senate threads. By confining the citizenry to another thread Senators can easily ignore them.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2009, 11:48:27 PM »

Indeed.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2009, 12:25:39 AM »

I don't think any of us want to shut the Senate down to the public, so I don't know why you're all worried about that. Such extreme measures would only be attempted if a certain problem member or two doesn't knock off the constant commenting and amending despite having zero authority in this chamber.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2009, 01:16:41 AM »

You're free to ignore him.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to: