Do allied firebombings during WWII constitute war crimes? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 21, 2024, 11:00:55 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  Do allied firebombings during WWII constitute war crimes? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Do allied firebombings during WWII constitute war crimes?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 64

Author Topic: Do allied firebombings during WWII constitute war crimes?  (Read 6555 times)
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« on: October 13, 2015, 12:48:21 PM »

Yes. And it should be noted that the Americans to their credit recognised that the RAF's bombing of civilians in Germany was ineffectual and motivated more out of spite; but failed to take this into account in the Pacific theatre for a variety of reasons.

I find it hard not to consider them war crimes. I'm not an cultural relativist, so I'm not going to say people are "excused" because different times. The deliberate targeting of civilians is always wrong, under both deontological and utilitarian grounds; no matter if it's William the Conquerer, Harry Truman or Bashar Al-Assad doing the deed.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2015, 01:17:38 PM »

Some people seem to think attacking Allied policy is automatically saying something ridiculous like "both sides were as bad as the other". It's not, it's a reflection that we can look back at our history and recognise our own nations did some appalling stunts to little meaningful effect,
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies