Northeast Senate Seat Special Election Forum—AUG 30-31, 2007 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 02, 2024, 05:17:54 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Northeast Senate Seat Special Election Forum—AUG 30-31, 2007 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Northeast Senate Seat Special Election Forum—AUG 30-31, 2007  (Read 1094 times)
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« on: August 30, 2007, 09:59:32 AM »

First, I would like to echo the comments of my friends, Rockefeller Republican, and Verily. Thank you, Senator-elect Moderate for moderating this forum for the people of the Northeast.  I would also like to say it's an honor to run with both of the other candidates, both of which who are excellent people, and I believe to have excellent qualifications for this race.  I will not refer to them as my "opponents", because we are all working for the same goal, and that is to give the Northeast the best representation it can have.

If given the chance, and elected to the Atlasia Senate, I promise that I will fight for the people of the Northeast, and work hard for what is in their best intrerest. Former Senator Keystone Phil is a great person, but I believe that he was looking out for the interests of his party, and I feel that the Democrats, Liberals, Independents, and Moderate Republicans have been left out. We need to bring fair, and equal representation to a fair, and equal district. I will not also leave out our Conservatives in this district. I understand how hard it is to be a Republican in moderatly liberal district, and I promise to represent your needs as well.

Also, as in my prior campaign for Senate, I promise to keep an open mind to every peice of legislation, and will listen to advice from all constiuents.  I will also promise that I will only serve two terms, if elected and later re-elected.

I again thank you, and await the series of questions.
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2007, 10:27:55 AM »

I'll break down each item and respond.

• Judicial Terms—Should Supreme Court terms be lifetime appointments, or should judges be up for reconfirmation (in any shape or form) after the period of one year?

I believe that in Atlasia, our Supreme Court terms should be based on reconfirmation each year. I believe that is the best way to keep our courts moving into new directions. If a Justice does his or her job properly, there should be no reason for not being reconfirmed.

• Popular Initiative—Should citizens be able to sponsor a law and bring it to the Senate floor provided they obtain signatures of at least 15% of registered Atlasian voters?

In a way, yes, I believe that citizens should be able to sponser a bill, but I believe it can be done in a different manor. I believe that once the signatures are obtained by registered voters, that the citizen should bring it forward to his or her Senator, and have it directly brought to the floor for voting. I think by having their Senator bring it foward, it will keep our Senate clean, and make it easier to see where the propsed laws are coming from.

• Proportional Representation—Should we continue to elect Class B Senators from five evenly-populated districts, or should all five Class B Senators be elected nationwide via "proportional representation by single transferrable vote"?

I believe that we should continue electing Class B Senators the way we do it now. Local members for local districts, voting for their needs.
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2007, 12:56:02 PM »

I hate not typing out an actual answer, but I agree with with Verily on the issue.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies