So John Kasich is an ex-Catholic (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 02, 2024, 03:49:12 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  So John Kasich is an ex-Catholic (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: So John Kasich is an ex-Catholic  (Read 6770 times)
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« on: August 13, 2015, 11:05:03 AM »

This Pawlenty fan boy would never in a trillion years vote for Kasich.

Pawlenty is still effectively Catholic and converted for his wife. Iirc, "Courage to Stand" spoke proudly about the mix of Catholics and Lutherans and the great heritages of Minnesotans.

Kasich is barely religious. Fyi, brtd - his wiki "There's always going to be a part of me that considers myself a Catholic"

Is that not what we've been saying all along. You're losing the argument by bringing this up.

I'm willing to bet that the vast majority of the 41% of raised Catholic Americans who no longer identify as such would NOT say something like that. Do you think any of the ex-Catholic hipster Christians I know do?

Sometimes I don't think you realize how unrepresentative your type of Christianity is.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2015, 12:39:08 PM »

This Pawlenty fan boy would never in a trillion years vote for Kasich.

Pawlenty is still effectively Catholic and converted for his wife. Iirc, "Courage to Stand" spoke proudly about the mix of Catholics and Lutherans and the great heritages of Minnesotans.

Kasich is barely religious. Fyi, brtd - his wiki "There's always going to be a part of me that considers myself a Catholic"

Is that not what we've been saying all along. You're losing the argument by bringing this up.

I'm willing to bet that the vast majority of the 41% of raised Catholic Americans who no longer identify as such would NOT say something like that. Do you think any of the ex-Catholic hipster Christians I know do?

Sometimes I don't think you realize how unrepresentative your type of Christianity is.

Well you're an Episcopalian in Massachusetts, probably tons of ex-Catholics at your church then, do you think almost all or most would say something like that? (Serious question, I honestly don't know.)

'Almost all or most'? Maybe not. Enough that not saying so would not be a 'vast majority'? Definitely.

I'll concede that it's probably quite different among the I'm sure significantly greater numbers of former Catholics who've become evangelical as opposed to mainline. This is because evangelical Christianity sends every other religion or culture it touches down the memory hole as a point of pride.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2015, 12:01:13 PM »

BRTD has a fascination with ex-Catholics, especially those who, unlike Kasich, entirely disclaim their Catholic background.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies