Quebec General Election 2012 (4th September) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 27, 2024, 09:12:40 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Quebec General Election 2012 (4th September) (search mode)
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6
Author Topic: Quebec General Election 2012 (4th September)  (Read 144986 times)
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #100 on: August 22, 2012, 11:23:38 PM »

That's disgusting race-baiting.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #101 on: August 22, 2012, 11:33:08 PM »

The previous post. Sure, I suppose than language-baiting is more accurate, but I doubt it's a word.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #102 on: August 22, 2012, 11:50:24 PM »

The previous post. Sure, I suppose than language-baiting is more accurate, but I doubt it's a word.
It was intended to mock Marois as being on par with oppressive dictators, not attacking anyone per se. Apologies if it was offensive.

Well, Marois takes her positions because they is a public for that.
In any case, despite the Anglo opposition to language laws, the Franco population overwhelmingly support them.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #103 on: August 23, 2012, 12:04:22 AM »

It was intended to mock Marois as being on par with oppressive dictators, not attacking anyone per se. Apologies if it was offensive.

In any case, despite the Anglo opposition to language laws, the Franco population overwhelmingly support them.

Oh my! I wonder why that might be!

Historical reasons. The Anglophone minority ruled the economy of Québec until the 60's (for example, it was very hard to get a loan if you were French, the access to the high-ranking positions in businesses was blocked because they didn't talked English, many businesses were working in English only and customers were insulted if they talked French and were refused to be served....). Let's let than the Anglo minority abused their power and than this is the coilback.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #104 on: August 23, 2012, 11:40:18 PM »

Oh my! I wonder why that might be!

Historical reasons. The Anglophone minority ruled the economy of Québec until the 60's (for example, it was very hard to get a loan if you were French, the access to the high-ranking positions in businesses was blocked because they didn't talked English, many businesses were working in English only and customers were insulted if they talked French and were refused to be served....). Let's let than the Anglo minority abused their power and than this is the coilback.

That was sarcasm. It seems obvious to me that Francophones would support language laws that are meant to benefit only them.

Do you really think "coilback" is a legitimate justification for laws that, whatever their intended purposes, impose a significant burden on minorities?

There is no significant burden on minorities. Sure, it may require people to learn French, but honestly, it's logical to someone which immigrate in US to learn English. It's also logical for someone who immigrate in Quebec to learn French.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #105 on: August 24, 2012, 02:23:30 AM »

Well, no. Only New Brunswick is a bilingual province. All other provinces have only English as official language. While Canada is bilingual, the provinces are not.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #106 on: August 24, 2012, 03:17:31 PM »

Well, no. Only New Brunswick is a bilingual province. All other provinces have only English as official language. While Canada is bilingual, the provinces are not.

Well, yes. Again, the folks in the rest of Canada aren't going to be happy having to live under forced bilingualism at the federal level when the Province of Quebec systematically strips the democratic rights of English-only speakers there.

The rest of Canada is clearly not bilingual. Most of the English Canada is talking English only and its next to impossible to get any service or anything in French.
And no democratic right of non-French speakers is stripped. We even have most Quebec government forms in English, while some English provinces don't bother to translate their forms to French.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #107 on: August 24, 2012, 05:41:44 PM »

How's it looking in Sherbrooke? Is Jean Charest pretty screwed? There have been two polls released showing him down double digits so I wanted to know if he's seriously in danger or if he could still pull it out.

Let's say than Charest won't win by a big margin. If he wins, that will be quite close.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #108 on: August 25, 2012, 01:41:28 AM »

Well, yes. Again, the folks in the rest of Canada aren't going to be happy having to live under forced bilingualism at the federal level when the Province of Quebec systematically strips the democratic rights of English-only speakers there.

The rest of Canada is clearly not bilingual. Most of the English Canada is talking English only and its next to impossible to get any service or anything in French.
And no democratic right of non-French speakers is stripped.

The proposal, as I understand it, is to strip non-French speakers of the right to stand for office. Standing for office is clearly one of the fundamental democratic rights.

Oh, I was talking of current laws. Well, that law is clearly unconstitutionnal and will be throw out by courts and PQ knows it.
It's the purpose. To make the Québec look like a victim of a terrible English court.

I don't agree with that proposal, neither with the idea of Quebec "citizenship".
But, yes, if Quebec ever become a country, a Quebec citizenship will be obviously created and talking French could clearly be a condition to be given it. It wouldn't be the first country with such law.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #109 on: August 25, 2012, 03:40:10 AM »

Heard on radio, the Léger-QMI poll.

PQ: 33
CAQ: 28
PLQ: 27
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #110 on: August 28, 2012, 10:14:40 PM »

Charest is so desperate for Francophone votes he pulled a leaf out of the NDP/BQ playbook and asked for the language laws to be extended federally but then flip-flopped in the space of 24 hours.

No, he took a page of the CAQ/ADQ book. Flip-floping all the time.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #111 on: August 29, 2012, 09:21:43 PM »

http://www.segmarecherche.ca/Sondages.html

They are the one who did Sherbrooke and Granby.
They apparently polled the 5 Sagnenay-Lac-Saint-Jean ridings.

So, since they contain all the results for all parties:

Sherbrooke:
PQ 46, PLQ-Charest 31, CAQ 11, QS 6, ON 2, Green 2

Granby:
CAQ-incumbent 49, PQ 24, PLQ 16, QS 7, Green 3, ON 1

Lac-Saint-Jean:
PQ-incumbent 59, CAQ 18, PLQ 17, QS 3, Green 1, ON 1

Chicoutimi:
PQ-incumbent 53, PLQ 21, CAQ 19, QS 5, ON 1

Dubuc:
PQ 44, PLQ-incumbent 32, CAQ 18, QS 4, ON 1

Roberval:
PQ-incumbent 53, PLQ 26, CAQ 14, QS 5

Jonquière:
PQ-incumbent 51, PLQ 20, CAQ 17, QS 6, Green 2, ON 1

Segma did 8 polls since then

Sherbrooke, again:
PQ 45 (-1), PLQ-Charest 33 (+2), CAQ 10 (-1), QS 7 (+1), ON 3 (+1), Green 2

Trois-Rivières (riding of the PQ candidate Djamilla Benhabib, which got in a fight with the hyper-catholic and outdated mayor of Saguenay, Jean Tremblay)
PQ 36, PLQ(incumbent) 30, CAQ 18, QS 8, ON 4, Others 4

Saint-Maurice (PQ held seat, incumbent retiring)
PQ 42, PLQ 26, CAQ 22, QS 5, ON 2, Bertrand 2
We also learn than the federal MP, Lise St-Denis, the NDP to Liberal turncoat has 22-57 approvals.

Lévis
CAQ 41 (Legault said than he will be appointed Finance minister), PLQ 27 (incumbent), PQ 18, QS 10, ON 2, Other 2

Louis-Hébert
PLQ 35 (incumbent, minister), CAQ 30, PQ 26, QS 5, ON 2, Others 2

Hull
PLQ 39, PQ 30, QS 14 (the victim of the Shawinigan handshake), CAQ 12, ON 3, Greens 1, Others 1

Papineau (liberal seat since decades, in Outaouais, incumbent retiring)
PQ 36, PLQ 27, CAQ 20, QS 11, ON 3, Others 3
Hard to believe.

Taschereau (Quebec downtown)
PQ 41 (incumbent), PLQ 19 (minister for economical development, currently MNA in Montreal), QS 16, CAQ 16, ON 7, Others 1
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #112 on: August 30, 2012, 03:53:25 AM »

Taschereau (Quebec downtown)
PQ 41 (incumbent), PLQ 19 (minister for economical development, currently MNA in Montreal), QS 16, CAQ 16, ON 7, Others 1
A few pages earlier on this thread I thought it had been said that Québec was quite a conservative city, so I don't really understand. Could someone tell me who represents Québec now, downtown and suburbs, and what have been the evolutions recently ? Because PQ at 41, QS at 16 and ON at 7 doesn't seem to make that a conservative place...

The downtown is where the poor neighbourhoods and the university are, if I remember well.
That riding doesn't vote at all like the other ones.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #113 on: September 02, 2012, 04:00:55 AM »
« Edited: September 02, 2012, 04:04:14 AM by Chemistry & Sleep Deprivation »

The last Léger poll is in.

PQ 33, CAQ 28, PLQ 27, so, the same thing than their last poll.

http://fr.canoe.ca/infos/quebeccanada/politiqueprovinciale/archives/2012/09/20120902-010702.html

Others points.

Franco vote. PQ leads CAQ by 7, PLQ at 18%.
The PQ vote is the hardest one, 85% of voters are sure about their choice.
Apparently, CAQ leads in Lanaudière, PQ in Laurentides.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #114 on: September 03, 2012, 03:11:12 PM »

Election is tomorrow ? Well, let's cross fingers. PQ might not be great, but Charest ought to be kicked out.

Yes, election is tomorrow.
Usually, elections are on Monday, but today is Labor Day.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #115 on: September 04, 2012, 02:09:45 AM »

Great work, Earl!

When will we start to see results? To save me doing a timezones calculation, would someone mind posting along the lines of "in so many hours?"

At 8PM, Eastern, so, in 17 hours (it's currently 3AM, Eastern).
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #116 on: September 04, 2012, 04:22:44 AM »

On its Twitter account, Ekos also releashed a poll

PQ 36.0, CAQ 24.5, PLQ 23.2, QS 10.7, Others 5.5.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #117 on: September 04, 2012, 03:35:11 PM »

Not doing a detailled prediction, because I really have no clue about various Montreal suburbs, but I predict a PQ majority, given than the electors dislike minority governments.
That should be enough for a 0.5-1% swing, which should be enough to push them over the 63-seats line.

I don't believe the Forum poll, two weeks ago, they had Liberals leading by 6 over PQ!
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #118 on: September 04, 2012, 05:39:42 PM »

Is there any website where election results can be seen on the whole riding map as they come in? I remember there was a website with such a map during the Alberta election.

Its CBC which does that, but their result page isn't up yet.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #119 on: September 04, 2012, 07:08:51 PM »

Great, it's the first time I can watch the election night of an North American election without it being awfully late ! West Coast rocks ! Cheesy

Does anyone have a french-speaking livestream ? Not because of understanding issues, but just because I want to hear some Québecois accent. Smiley

http://www.radio-canada.ca/elections-quebec-2012/tableau-de-bord
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #120 on: September 04, 2012, 07:19:29 PM »

I know it's way too early to be projecting, but it's not totally-random-garbage early, and leading in only 11 of 27 when the only Montreal seat with any results is Bourget doesn't exactly scream "PQ majority".

Now, they grew to 17.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #121 on: September 04, 2012, 07:24:27 PM »

I remember to people than most votes being published now is mostly early vote, which lean Liberal.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #122 on: September 04, 2012, 07:34:53 PM »

Iles-de-la-Madeleine has changed quite a bit, too. PQ now ahead by two votes, whereas earlier polls were quite strong for the PLQ. Is it that polarised?

One of the islands is Anglophone.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #123 on: September 04, 2012, 11:14:29 PM »

The shooter also started a fire behind that arena.
Finally, the building wasn't evacuated and Marios insisted to come back finish her speech.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #124 on: September 04, 2012, 11:19:16 PM »

The fire was apparently caused by an explosion, so, it is called a bombing by the press.
The bomber shouted, in French, with an English accent, "The English are waking up", media is reporting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies