A Second Chance - CONCLUSION
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 02, 2024, 10:33:56 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  A Second Chance - CONCLUSION
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 32 33 ... 47
Poll
Question: Should I go on?
Yes

I don't care

No

Hell No!

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 105

Author Topic: A Second Chance - CONCLUSION  (Read 289793 times)
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #675 on: August 18, 2011, 08:35:03 PM »

incredible, cathcon. your TL are always exciting and surprising... but this time, you've defied yourself.

Thank you very much! Smiley Hope I can continue to do well.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #676 on: August 18, 2011, 09:27:15 PM »
« Edited: August 18, 2011, 10:31:30 PM by Angry White Male »

May 8th, 1980

Examinig McCarthy's Candidacy...
Yesterday, the American political landscape was shaken with the announcement of a third party bid by former Senator Eugene McCarthy. The New Left, which, since 1968, has seemingly been chained by the more moderate yet liberal Democratic establishment, seeming, in a twelve-years-too-late, finally found their voice after a case of laringitis. McCarthy, a Liberal anti-war candidate since 1968, has been, according to many, a political has-been who missed his chance in 1972 and 1976 to win the Democratic nomination and potentially the Presidency. However, the question is begged: "What and where might his strength be?", and all the questions to follow, such as how many percentage points or even electoral votes he could win.

In examinig such a question, one must examine what strength he and his supporters have exhibites in the past. This includes looking at not only his three runs thus far, but also at Mike Gravel's failed bid for the Democratic nomination.

In 1968, when the anti-war tide of the recent past was its highest, McCarthy was only able to capture three states from President Kennedy in the Democratic primaries. Yet, the anti-war movement was not, as a whole, discredited with this thanks to the insurgent and successful campaign by Governor George Romney for the Republican nomination, and unsuccessful anti-war race for the Presidency. While McCarthy did not openly endorse Romney, rumor had it he secretly supported the moderate Michigan Governor over his own party's President.

1968 Democratic Primary Map

Dark Red-Wallace
Red-Kennedy
Pink-McCarthy
Light Green-Favorite Sons (Ohio-Stephen Young)

Come 1972, McCarthy bowed out of it, instead sending in one of his friends from the Senate. Where McGovern, Church, and others did not run, Alaska's junior Senator Mike Gravel ran, winning two states against popular Vice-President Terry Sanford, charismatic Governor Charlton Heston, and insurgent Governor George Wallace.

1972 Democratic Primary Map

Red-Sanford
Light Green-Gravel
Dark Red-Wallace
Blue-Heston
Pink-Humphrey

1976 was perhaps the worst consecutive year for McCarthy and his following. Senator McCarthy, declining re-election, proved once again willing to step up to the plate, once again against a Kennedy. This time it was Bobby Kennedy, then the popular junior Senator from Massachusetts and his brother's Attorney General for eight years. McCarthy, hoping that in the face of the Palestinian War, his anti-war message would prove viable to the Democrats, who by then were rearing for a comeback from the 1972 election. However, Kennedy, who had been one of his brother's biggest supporters in Vietnam, somehow came out as the main anti-war candidate in the race. Kennedy would go on to win the vast majority of that year's primaries, with McCarthy only claiming Vermont for himself. However, long after it was obvious that McCarthy's campaign was doomed, the "Anybody But Kennedy" movement launched by members of the both the Right and the Left of the party to attempt to stop the Liberal-yet-Centrist Kennedy from claiming the nomination, gave Senator Frank Church of Idaho a number of victorie in the West and North-West, symbolizing a continuation of McCarthy's earlier campaign.

1976 Democratic Primary Map

Red-Kennedy
Green-Church
Dark Red-Wallace
Yellow-Carter
Pink-McCarthy

Now we are here in 1980. With McCarthy's dropping out, it is obvious that the remaining primaries will go to the incumbent President Kennedy, minus an upset by write-ins in states less favorable to President Kennedy, the South and West. However, given there is no other declared candidate for the nomination, it is safe to assume that President Kennedy will be winning the remaining primaries. This gives us the map below as the likely primary map for this year.

Red-Kennedy
Pink-McCarthy

After observing these four maps, it seems to be that, despite victories in New Hampshire and Vermont, the real location where the anti-war left can be found, free from the shadow of the "Labor Liberals" and Kennedy's Centrists is ini the West. The Dakotas, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Iowa, Montana, Idaho, Oregon, and Washington all coudl be ripe for a liberal third party mixed with some support from more Libertarian Western Republicans, could result in serious damage to the current two-party system. While as of this stage in McCarthy's campaign, only a day after the announcement, the press is unaware of where McCarthy has ballot access and where he intends to gain ballot access, it would be wise in the opinion of this humble author, to aim for the below indicated states:

Of course, any hope of taking Oregon or California becomes moot if Hatfield or Reagan are nominated. However, in a generic election, this provides 159 electoral votes for McCarthy should he take all these states. If he could make inroads in more industrial yet still liberal states such as Pennsylvania, New York, and Illinois, he still would pose a very grave threat to his nemesis, Robert Kennedy.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #677 on: August 18, 2011, 10:23:39 PM »
« Edited: August 18, 2011, 10:32:25 PM by Angry White Male »

NOTE Given McCarthy's dropping out of the Presidential race, Democratic primaries shall no longer be covered in depth. Instead, at the end of the primary season, the final maps will be shown one last time.

signed,
Sincerely,
Cathcon

May 13th, 1980

Nebraska Republican Primary
Reagan-54%
Hatfield-46%

Maryland Republican Primary
Hatfield-51%
Reagan-49%

May 19th, 1980

Utah Republican Caucuses
Reagan-65%
Hatfield-35%

May 20th, 1980

Michigan Republican Primary
Hatfield-52%
Reagan-48%

Oregon Republican Primary
Hatfield-73%
Reagan-27%

Republican Delegate Count as of May 20th, 1980:
Governor Ronald Reagan of California (Dark Blue): 827 delegates
Senator Mark Hatfield of Oregon (Light Blue): 450 delegates
Senate Minority Leader Howard Baker of Tennessee (Blue): 129 delegates
Up for Grabs: 478 delegates
Needed: 943 delegates
Total: 1884

May 21st, 1980
Romney Saves Hatfield in Michigan!
Yesterday, the race for President was upset from its assumed predestined course with Senator Hatfield's victory in the Michigan Republican Primary. Most pundits are attributing this victory to the last minute campaigning of former Treasury Secretary George Romney in the state. Romney, who was the 1968 Republican nominee for President and chose Senator Hatfield as his runningmate that year, is a good friend of Hatfield and, despite 1968 being twelve years ago, has managed to remain relevant thanks to his election to the Senate in 1970, his re-election in 1976, and serving as President Kennedy's Treasury Secretary (1977-1979). Romney, a man who remains popular in the usually Democratic state, seemingly managed to pull together Hatfield's candidacy in the state, allowing for a narrow victory for his former runningmate. Romney, despite having worked for the Kennedy Administration, resigned last year in the midst of the CIA surveillance scandal and since has become a very big supporter and donor to the Hatfield for President campaign. Despite the 82 Michigan delegates not being enough to give Reagan the nomination outright, this still marks an uptick in Hatfield's candidacy after his upset in Maryland on the 13th. While many concede his candidacy as doomed, it appears Hatfield still has fight left in him. However, should Hatfield lose the primary, what is to become of him? Being the runner-up for 1984 or 1988 would be a good thing to have on his resume, but at the same time, one must realize that he has already run three times previously for the nomination and failed. Should he fail, is this the end of his possibility of becoming President? "Most likely" is the answer given by most pundits and experts. Still, the 1980 race for the Republican nomination continues to excite. The next primary races to observe occur on May 27th, a week from now.

Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #678 on: August 19, 2011, 02:45:57 PM »

Is McCarthy on the Farmer-Laborer ticket in Minnesota only? Or is he also the nominee of the Peace and Freedom, Peoples Party, Liberty Union, etc. Alot of the times these parties share a candidate.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #679 on: August 19, 2011, 04:14:00 PM »

May 22nd, 1980
    Ron: Howard, do it, for the sake of party unity. I'll have the nominaion wrapped up on the 27th anyway. The party needs to come together.
    Howard: I'm thinking about it. Can you promise a Vice-President who can united the party?
    Ron: Why, I was considering you for the position.
    Howard: If you do, I won't accept. My Presidential run is over. Now, I've got to get back to the Senate, where I was elected our party's leader there.
    Ron: Okay. Is there any person in particular you'd like me to consider choosing?
    Howard: Maybe Schweicker? I personally couldn't care, as long as this man, or even woman, can united the party and lead us to victory.
    Ron: Good. Does this mean you're willing to...?
    Howard: Yes. I'm going to schedule a press conference two days from now.
    Ron: Thanks, Howard.

May 24th, 1980
Baker Pledges Delegates to Reagan!
Reagan Presumptive Republican Nominee!
Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.
With this, the Republican primaries come to a close. Because of Baker's delegates going to Reagan, he now has more than the necessary 943 delegates to win the nomination. No statement as of yet has come from the Hatfield campaign headquarters, though the Reagan campaign has issued a statement expressing gratitude and a campaign stop with the both of them has reportedly been scheduled. When questioned as to whether a deal was struck where Baker would be nominated for Vice-President, the Senate Minority Leader candidacly replied "No".

With Hatfield now having next to no hope of becoming the Republican nominee, one must wonder what will happen to him. The 1968 Vice-Presidential nominee who unsuccessfully ran for the Republican nomination three times. It seems as if now, he is forever resigned to his Senate seat and will most likely never become President. As for Baker, Taft, Rumsfeld and others, it seems as if they all have possibilities in their political futures for the Presidency.

And as for Ronald Reagan? It seems he will face an enthusiastic convention and an enthusiastic party preparing for the Republican National Convention in Detroit. He is currently polling ahead of President Kennedy with Senator McCarthy a very distant third. Currently the question on everyone's mind is who he will choose for Vice-President. Hatfield as of this printing has not conceded. Baker seems to be out of the question. In the next few days this paper will be examinig possible choices for both Senator McCarthy and Governor Reagan to choose.

Governor Ronald Reagan of California: The Presumptive Republican Nominee
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #680 on: August 19, 2011, 04:15:00 PM »

Is McCarthy on the Farmer-Laborer ticket in Minnesota only? Or is he also the nominee of the Peace and Freedom, Peoples Party, Liberty Union, etc. Alot of the times these parties share a candidate.

I'll reword it to say he's running as an Independent and is expected to become the nominee of Peace and Freedom, People's, and maybe even that of his state's Democratic Party.
Niemeyerite
JulioMadrid
Junior Chimp
Spain

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -9.04

« Reply #681 on: August 19, 2011, 09:43:54 PM »

interesting.... I thought I was going to support a republican ticket for the first time in the year in a TL hahahah... but no way I support Reagan. I'll go independent this time around.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #682 on: August 19, 2011, 09:47:52 PM »

interesting.... I thought I was going to support a republican ticket for the first time in the year in a TL hahahah... but no way I support Reagan. I'll go independent this time around.

Lemme just say you might support them in 1984. Might.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #683 on: August 19, 2011, 10:50:37 PM »

I wonder if Governor Paul is being considered for VP...
Niemeyerite
JulioMadrid
Junior Chimp
Spain

Political Matrix

« Reply #684 on: August 20, 2011, 06:33:31 AM »

Lemme just say you might support them in 1984. Might.

^^
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #685 on: August 20, 2011, 09:23:56 AM »

I wonder if Governor Paul is being considered for VP...

I probably shouldn't give too much away... Wink
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #686 on: August 20, 2011, 09:28:43 AM »

Republican Delegate Count as of May 24th, 1980
Governor Ronald Reagan of California: 956 delegates
Senator Mark Hatfield of Oregon: 450 delegates
Unpledged: 478 delegates
Needed: 943 delegates
Total: 1884 delegates
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #687 on: August 20, 2011, 10:59:08 AM »
« Edited: August 20, 2011, 11:02:19 AM by Angry White Male »

May 25th, 1980
Hatfield Drops Out!
Reagan Unopposed!
As the Senator approaches podium, one gets the sense of the end. For Hatfield, this is the end of his Presidential candidacy, maybe for the rest of his life, and he knows it. Nevertheless, he is a loyal Republican and willing to step aside for his party's presumptive nominee, Ronald Reagan.
Quote from: Restricted
Now, Governor Reagan has basically had the carpet to the convention rolled before his feet. No opposition, all the delegates needed, an enthusiastic campaign team, and a lead in the polls, beating both President Kennedy and Senator McCarthy. Because of this, it seems very likely that Governor Reagan will be sworn in as President on January 20th, 1980.

Other News:

McCarthy Update
Former Senator Eugene McCarthy still has yet to announce a runningmate. However, he is polling a consistent seven percent nationwide and has gained ballot access and the endorsements of several low profile leftist third parties. In Minnesota, he is the official candidate of the Minnesota Democratic Farmer-Labor party, meaning in plain terms, he is the Democratic nominee there. In other states, he has gained the nominations of the Peace and Freedom Party, the People's Party, the Liberty Union, the Consumer Party, and others. Rumor has it that, given McCarthy's runningmate, some state Libertarian Party affiliates may even endorse him.

In terms of ballot access, McCarthy has his endorsees to thank for many of the states he has gained ballot access in, as well as a number of his grass-roots supporters. Mainly in the West, he has also gained ballot access in some crucial Eastern states, many of which, though not favorable to his candidacy, could prove useful in bringing up his support in terms of popular vote.

Green-States with ballot access: 207 electoral votes
Blue-States awaiting ballot access approval: 177 electoral votes
Red-States not yet being contested: 154 electoral votes

In polling, a definite leftist split is being shown, especially in the West, though it is affecting the East. Please note that in polling, McCarthy was only given as an option in states where he had ballot access, though the option was given for "other".

Blue: Governor Ronald Reagan (R-CA)/TBA?, 270 electoral votes
Red: President Robert F Kennedy (D-MA)/Vice-President George McGovern (D-SD), 139 electoral votes
Green: Former Senator Eugene McCarthy (FL-MN)/TBA?, 21 electoral votes
Gray: Tossup, 108 electoral votes
Niemeyerite
JulioMadrid
Junior Chimp
Spain

Political Matrix

« Reply #688 on: August 20, 2011, 01:25:12 PM »

I hope a moderate republican will be McCarthy's VP choice. he's polling at 7% now, but he could beat Kennedy for the 2nd position with the right running-mate.

FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #689 on: August 23, 2011, 12:34:02 PM »

I hope a moderate republican will be McCarthy's VP choice. he's polling at 7% now, but he could beat Kennedy for the 2nd position with the right running-mate.

That would be epic. Maybe I should do a spin off...
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #690 on: August 23, 2011, 12:35:11 PM »

Anyway, sorry for letting this die on my two readers. School starts in two days and I got sidetracked thanks to actually having a semblance of a life for a couple of hourse on Saturday, and I got out of the routine of updating. Not only that, I had an update prepared on Saturday, but a poweroutage took it out, and my motivation to re-do it has gone down the tubes.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #691 on: August 23, 2011, 03:44:48 PM »

Dont worry, this timeline is well worth the wait Wink
Niemeyerite
JulioMadrid
Junior Chimp
Spain

Political Matrix

« Reply #692 on: August 24, 2011, 09:36:51 AM »

Dont worry, this timeline is well worth the wait Wink

this.

and there are more than 2 people reading, you can be sure of that Wink
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #693 on: August 24, 2011, 10:50:00 AM »

Thanks, both of you. Smiley

Well, there's you and Sanchez. There might be some lurkers out there who're too lazy to comment, but you two are the only ones I have evidence of.
Niemeyerite
JulioMadrid
Junior Chimp
Spain

Political Matrix

« Reply #694 on: August 24, 2011, 07:32:48 PM »

Please people, comment. It's easy, and writers like it!!

I have to recognize there are many times I'm lazy to comment... I usually comment elections, but not Presidential Timelines (however, I enjoy reading them).

FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #695 on: August 25, 2011, 01:11:41 PM »

June 30th, 1980

Examining the potential runningmates...

The Republicans
What Ronald Reagan needs in order to ensure a united Republican Party this November is a runningmate who can either reach across ideological lines, or at the very least across geographical lines. With this in mind, there are several potential possibilities including rising stars as well as politicians who seem to be in the twilight of their careers. Ranging from moderates to libertarians to North-Easterners to Southerners.

First on the list is Senator Richard Schweiker of Pennsylvania. A moderate Republican with twenty years in politics and a personal friend of Governor Reagan from their mutual twelve years in the Senate, Schweicker would definitely help in not just the Northeast, but his home state of Pennsylvania, a state that is seen as a possibility for Republicans to grab for the first time since 1956. Though Senator Schweicker is up for re-election this year, he has declined to run citing a desire to retire. The potential selection of him as Vice-President might convince him to step up to the plate for one last round in politics, though, should he be elected, he might decline to run again in 1984.

Another North-Easterner, Senator James L Buckley of New York, brother to Conservative publisher and former Ambassador to the United Nations William F Buckley, Senator Buckley has shown not only the ability to win in the liberal state of New York as a Conservative, but also has drawn in a lot of his support from otherwise Democratic Catholics. The selection of Buckley, while in no way guaranteeing New York, would put Reagan into the three-way fight for the Catholics, possibly stealing enough away from the devout Robert F Kennedy to really put up a fight for Connecticut, New Jersey, and Pennsylvania, though there is significantly less of a chance in New York, Massachusetts, or Rhode Island.

Following in the same vein of North-Estern Conservatives, the choice of Congressman Jack Kemp, a former football player, would not do well to draw in working class voters. What department he would do well in is drawing support from immigrant and minority communities that might otherwise vote for poverty fighter Robert F Kennedy. Kemp's willingness to work across party lines in poverty reduction attempts, but staunch fiscal conservatism may help to broaden minority support for the Republican party. While not enough to bring the Republican Party back to its level of support before the New Deal, nor the recent resurgence in support in 1968 and 1972, but it would definitely weaken President Kennedy's support.

One last potential candidate that would help in the Northeast as well as with minorities would be that of former Attorney General Edward Brooke. Though the last time he won an election was in 1966, since then he has gained six years of experience as a Senator, as well as experience as the United States Attorney General for two Presidents of differing parties for over four years. While he's experienced low approval numbers among Republicans, they have since improved since his resignation in May of 1979. Should Reagan pick Brooke, it would be an historic pick of the first African American on a national ticket that would most definitely have a chance of winning minority communities in New York and Washington DC and actually have a chance in the President's home state of Massachusetts where both are popular.

Now, switching to the South, a place where Republicans have had an increasing rate of success since 1972, it is ver ylikely Reagan will take a majority of Southern states. Though the South is trending Republican, there is a scarcity of Republican Senators there, with voters still retaining their solidly Democratic roots. Among the few that are there, there exist a few potential picks.

The first is Senator Thad Cochran of Mississippi. A Conservative who was elected to Congress in 1974 and elected to the Senate in 1978, Cochran could easily tie in the Solid South and complete the apparent transformation that that region is undergoing in it shift to the Republicans.

Following that, there are currently two Republican Senators representing the state of Texas which in itself has shifted Republican since 1972, mainly thanks to the efforts of John Tower and of course former President Bush. John Tower, elected to the Senate in 1978, has served as Texas' Governor (1967-1973), America's Interior Secretary (1973-1974), America's Treasury Secretary (1974-1977), and of course, since 1979, Texas' Senator. Now serving on the Senate Armed Services Committee as well as having served in World War II, he brings foreign policy and military experience to the strangely lacking Republican nominee. However, rumors of possible womanizing and drinking problems currently circulating within Washington may put a hault to any potential Tower Presidential or Vice-Presidential ambitions. As for Texas' other Senate, James Baker is also a friend of former President Bush. Having worked on his Congressional, Senate, and Presidential campaign, he himself was elected to office in 1970 in President Bush's old seat as Bush declined re-election to make his successful run for the Senate. Serving there from 1971 to 1973, after Bush's inauguration as Vice-President, he won a special election in May to fill Bush's seat, being re-elected in 1976. Though more moderate than Tower, he could work to tie down Texas in the GOP column and definitely be a repayment to former President Bush who himself had Reagan nominated for Vice-President four years later.

Moving onto Libertarians but for a moment remaining in the South, Congressman Ron Paul, a Vietnam veteran who worked as an Air Force Surgeon, and an endorsee of Taft in this year's primary campaign, could have what it takes to bring in both Taft and Hatfield voters. Though anti-war and supporting of a relatively Libertarian social policy, Paul's belief in Federalism and states' rights could play well in the South. Currently a rising star, it is believed that Paul and Reagan share warm relations, having served in Congress together in the two different Houses for two years and having, in that time, worked on legislation including deficit cutting and restoration of the gold standard, the selection of Paul would be a definite victory for anti-war Republicans, Libertarians, Southerners, and fiscal Conservatives.

Others fitting into the Taft/Hatfield field of potential runningmates vary widely. This includes Reagan's personal friend and political ally Barry Goldwater of Arizona. Though much more socially moderate than Reagan, he endorsed his friend nonetheless and would have a lot of appeal to social moderates and even liberals turned off by President Kennedy's pro-life position, but no warm to Senator McCarthy's anti-war positions. With Goldwater's service in World War II, near twenty-four years in the Senate including service on the Senate Intelligence and Armed Services Committees as well as over a year-and-a-half as Secretary of Defense, Goldwater would be a very formidable runningmate, and, according to one Kennedy insider who spoke candidly and anonymously, "he would make mincemeat of McGovern". However, Goldwater's age, older than Reagan, may scare away some voters not looking to vote for the "Old Man Ticket", as well as his hawkishness scaring away the significant anti-war wing of the party. Other potentialities include Hatfield endorsees Senator Larry Pressler of South Dakota and former Defense Secretary John Eisenhower of Pennsylvania. Eisenhower's calls for a "return to a humble, careful, and smart foreign policy" may resonate not only with "Romney Democrats" but also with those that voted for his father, the late Dwight D Eisenhower, twice in landslides. Pressler's calls to "bring our boys home" may serve the same purpose as putting Hatfield himself on the ticket, though Pressler disagrees with Hatfield's stance on a nuclear freeze.

Lastly come possibilities hailing from the Land of Lincoln. This state, which has trended Democrat since 1964 thanks to the strength of the Daley machine in Chicago and his ties to the Kennedys, who, incidentally, have been on every Democratic ticket since 1960, minus 1972. This includes the Conservative Congressman Donald Rumsfeld and Governor "Big Jim" Thompson. On the other side of the party are Senator Charles Percy and Congressman John Anderson. Anderson, who was once referred to by former Vice-President Ford as "the smartest guy in Congress, but he insists on voting his conscience instead of party", is seen by some as the most articulate Rockefeller Republican in Congress, having served there since 1961 and been Chairman of the House Republican Caucus since 1969. All four potential picks could swing the now Democratic state back into Republican hands.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #696 on: August 25, 2011, 02:00:05 PM »

Examing the potential runningmates (Continued)...

Gene McCarthy
For Eugene McCarthy, there is little chance of winning. As a third party candidate, even as one who is leading in multiple states, there are two possible goals that he should keep in mind. One is to take as many votes away from Kennedy as possible by appealing to youth, leftists, liberals, farmers, libertarians, minorities, Catholics, and other groups that might be open to his message. The second is to win as many electoral votes as possible, thus gaining the possibility of throwing the election to the House of Representatives. While it might seem these goals are one and the same, they may be contradictory to the McCarthy campaign. The real place for McCarthy to hope to steal votes is in the East where both Kennedy and Liberalism are strongest and he could severely weaken the Kennedy campaign in some Eastern states. However, his hopes of winning electoral votes lie in the West. He is unlikely to win any state East of Wisconsin and, should both he and Reagan choose the right runningmate, he could stand to win a rather large number of Upper-West and North-Western states that would most likely have gone to Reagan. Here lies a list of potential runningmates.

It would seem Senator Jerry Brown of California, a McCarthy supporter and strangely enough a fellow Catholic, is McCarthy's best bet to bring in support from Liberals as well as Libertarians. Though up for re-election, the pick of Brown would carry a lot of weight. First and foremost, bringin a large amount of Pacific Coast support including young, wealthier California Liberals, Minorities in Southern California, as well as his large amount of supporters across the state. The pick would seem by many reminiscent of 1960 when the youthful John F Kennedy won the Democratic nomination, and brought forht, in the opinions of many, the "Rock Star President" ideal of a young, charismatic, and handsome Presidential candidate. However, the pick of Brown is unlikely, as he is favored for re-election and is still young enough to have quite a viable political career following this election.

A second potential choice is Senator Mike Gravel of Alaska. Not favored for re-election this year running against State Senator Dick Randolph. Popular with the counter-culture and himself a one-time Presidential candidate who was able to win the New Hampshire and South Dakota primaries in 1972, Gravel also draws the possibility of drawing in not only the Upper West, but also Alaska which, while not necessarily going for Gravel in a two-way race, but could definitely carry the possibility in a three-way race.

In terms of experience, the obvious choices are Senators William Proxmire and Frank Church. Proxmire, having served as Wisconsin's Senator since 1957 and a confirmed Progressive, is not up for re-election this year. Being also a fiscal conservative who rejects massive amounts of military spending would also help with McCarthy's anti-war base. Proxmire's convenient location in Wisconsin would almost guarantee McCarthy two states to his name come election night. The other experienced choice would be Senator Frank Church of Idaho. Currently Chairman of the Senate Committee on Foreign Relations, he would bring foreign policy experience to the table and help break into the likely Republican state of Idaho. Church is also extremely popular among McCarthy's grassroots Liberals thanks to his heading of the Church Committee in 1974 and 1975 which investigated the military and Spiro T Agnew, his 1976 Presidential campaign which sprung up after McCarthy's seemingly failed, and his leading of the Democrats in investigation into the CIA in 1979. Currently Senator Church faces a close re-election battle and a Third Party bid might be a fitting end to his long political career. His opposition to Vietnam, however, could both hurt and help him. Vietnam, seen as one of the greatest foreign policy successes of recent years, is popular with a large majority of Americans. However in anti-war circles, there is a large amount of hate for the Kennedy brothers, both having seemingly betrayed foreign policy liberalism.

We now come to the two last potential candidates. One is Congressman Morris K Udall of Arizona. A confirmed liberal who, despite having supported the Kennedys in the past, supported McCarthy in his primary bid this year, Udall would not necessarily do what all other potential vice-presidential picks do, which is satisfy the liberal base, but he could also bite into the American South-West and into Mormons, making him the second member of the Jesus Christ Church of Latter-Day Saints to be on a major party Presidential ticket, preceded by George W Romney in 1968. This could result in a sizable amount of support in the American South-West swinging McCarthy's way. As for the last potential pick, there is former Interior Secretary Ralph Nader of Connecticut. Despite having served as EPA Administrator under President John F Kennedy and Interior Secretary under President Robert F Kennedy, he is seen as a true dis-affected Liberal, stating frankly in a June 1979 interview "Yes, yes I did work for the Kennedy brothers. I worked in hopes that they would forge truely sensible policies that would save the world from pollution, nuclear warfare, and poverty. They did not. I still had hope for Bobby in 1976, but neither did he pull through. That is why I resigned and that is why I am withdrawing my support for Bobby's re-election bid next year." Nader is truly symbolic of the liberals, those that are socially permissive, dovish on foreign policy, and believing in a strong government hand in the economy, that fled and fought the Kennedys, in 1968, in 1972, and now in 1980. His popularity with environmental groups will not hurt, nor will his relations with leftist third parties.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #697 on: August 25, 2011, 02:01:57 PM »

There. That should satisfy you vultures for a while so now I can work on history homework. Tongue
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #698 on: August 25, 2011, 03:06:05 PM »

Ralph Nader would be a good pick for Gene.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #699 on: August 25, 2011, 05:18:55 PM »

Sad

Not only Hatfield just died, but also you made him lose, monster.

Go burn in hell!
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 32 33 ... 47  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies