What about South Carolina? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 27, 2024, 08:36:08 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  What about South Carolina? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What about South Carolina?  (Read 647 times)
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« on: August 05, 2016, 03:41:11 PM »

Is sometimes what I think when we talk about Georgia's competitiveness. It gets far less attention then Georgia despite it usually voting only 2-3 points more Republican than it. We often classify it as Safe R and then ignore it, but if Georgia is turning out to be competitive, then why is South Carolina not far behind?
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2016, 05:54:26 AM »

I think it's been said that the fastest-growing areas are the most Republican, so Democrats shouldn't invest in a presidential win there for some time.

I think it could vote for a Democratic governor in the middle of an unpopular Republican presidency, though.  Sheheen did very well there for a Democrat in 2010.

That's true in many places though. Probably the fastest growing area in Georgia is the 80% Republican Forsyth County. Charleston and Columbia have potential to trend dem with their population growth. Its true that the larger counties in South Carolina mostly tend to be Republican, which is unique, but that's also the case with New Hampshire (more Republican at least)

Sorry, but South Carolina is not trending D and it's also inelastic.

It appears to be trending D as much as Georgia is, that is to say, not much. Here's the margins relative to the country (from 2000 to 2012)

SC: R+16  R+15  R+16  R+14
GA: R+12  R+14  R+12  R+12
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies