Trump Effect: Jeb Bush calls for greater enforcement against ‘anchor babies’
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 01:26:22 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Trump Effect: Jeb Bush calls for greater enforcement against ‘anchor babies’
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Trump Effect: Jeb Bush calls for greater enforcement against ‘anchor babies’  (Read 3090 times)
HillOfANight
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 19, 2015, 04:58:29 PM »

http://www.politico.com/story/2015/08/jeb-bush-14th-amendment-anchor-babies-donald-trump-121533.html

There goes the appeal for the Hispanic vote.
Orthogonian Society Treasurer
CommanderClash
YaBB God
Bermuda

Political Matrix
E: 0.32, S: 4.78

P
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2015, 05:02:06 PM »

Good...good... let the Trump flow through you, my child.
Attorney General & PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2015, 05:04:58 PM »

Good...good... let the Trump flow through you, my child.

There is nothing good about candidates Trumpifying themselves. It would only hurt them in the GE.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2015, 05:06:04 PM »

Bush is an idiot, as we already knew.
Jacobtm

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2015, 05:07:49 PM »

Bush needs to deport his own wife and kid before anyone will take him seriously.
HillOfANight
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2015, 05:09:31 PM »

It's one thing to agree with the policy, another to use these derogatory terms like "illegals" and "anchor babies". So cringeworthy to watch the debate and Chris Wallace talking about "illegals".
Jacobtm

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2015, 05:13:30 PM »

It's one thing to agree with the policy, another to use these derogatory terms like "illegals" and "anchor babies". So cringeworthy to watch the debate and Chris Wallace talking about "illegals".

They are illegal immigrants.

They are anchor babies.

These are relatively nice terms.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2015, 05:38:20 PM »

What happened to Jeb "you have to be willing to lose the primary to win the general election" Bush?
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2015, 05:48:26 PM »

What happened to Jeb "you have to be willing to lose the primary to win the general election" Bush?

He came face to face with defeat in the primary and cringed.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2015, 07:08:13 PM »

This is amazing! Not only is Trump is like a giant anchor, tied to the whole Republican Party and dragging them down into the muck, he's also giving the "best" of the their candidates the chance to prove that they are cheap opportunists without any courage in their convictions.
eric82oslo
Junior Chimp
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.00, S: -5.65

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2015, 07:27:02 PM »

This is amazing! Not only is Trump is like a giant anchor, tied to the whole Republican Party and dragging them down into the muck, he's also giving the "best" of the their candidates the chance to prove that they are cheap opportunists without any courage in their convictions.

He's basically drowning the baby with the bathwater, the baby in this case being the Republican party and all its candidates. Tongue
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2015, 08:25:47 PM »

The only Republican still sticking to his guns on immigration is Lindsey Graham.  Of course, he's highly unlikely to be rewarded for such principle.

The GOP hates the hammerlock Trump has put them in, but, truthfully, they did it to themselves.
Jacobtm

« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2015, 08:49:33 PM »

He's basically drowning the baby with the bathwater, the baby in this case being the Republican party and all its candidates. Tongue

If Trump loses, but destroys the Republican party, it will have all been worth it.

Trump has ball and seems like he'd be a good leader, but destroying the Republicans would be well worth it.
dudeabides
Tuvalu
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2015, 09:04:03 PM »

What is really fascinating here is that despite Donald Trump being the front-runner, Hillary Clinton is attacking Jeb Bush. The Clintons are running scared. I guess Hillary still wants to win the general election before going to prison.

As for the comment, I think Governor Bush made a poor choice of wording. Personally, I think that children of undocumented individuals should not be entitled to amnesty, but they shouldn't be deported. I agree with the Governor's position, though not his choice of words.
HillOfANight
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2015, 09:12:32 PM »

Trump is going to drive Hispanic turnout through the roof, almost like Obama did with the black vote. She needs to and is tearing down Jeb's Hispanic appeal.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2015, 10:38:18 PM »

What is really fascinating here is that despite Donald Trump being the front-runner, Hillary Clinton is attacking Jeb Bush. The Clintons are running scared. I guess Hillary still wants to win the general election before going to prison.

As for the comment, I think Governor Bush made a poor choice of wording. Personally, I think that children of undocumented individuals should not be entitled to amnesty, but they shouldn't be deported. I agree with the Governor's position, though not his choice of words.

This is having it both ways.  If you are not going to deport the children of undocumented individuals (I'm assuming you're referring to the "Dreamers".) then what are you going to do with them?

Bush's poor choice of words is because he blinked.  Period.
mencken
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2015, 10:46:28 PM »

Just like Claire McCaskill was running scared of Todd Akin when she attacked him before his primary...
dudeabides
Tuvalu
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2015, 05:55:55 AM »

This is having it both ways.  If you are not going to deport the children of undocumented individuals (I'm assuming you're referring to the "Dreamers".) then what are you going to do with them?

Bush's poor choice of words is because he blinked.  Period.

You have to issue some kind of work permit first of all so these kids are able to at least find a job and contribute to our country after they are 18. You then have to have a pathway to legalized status just as you would for anyone else. This is complicated because when it's adults who decided to come here to improve their lives and that of their family, they did so the wrong way. These kids didn't choose to come here, but by giving them blanket amnesty, you are turning on a magnet. So I think a pathway to legalized status makes sense just as it would for adults who came here.

But I think it is worth noting that Jeb Bush using the term "anchor babies" while offensive, is hardly as bad as saying that Mexicans come here and they "send their worst" and are "drug dealers and rapists" as Donald Trump has stated.
HillOfANight
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2015, 09:48:27 AM »

https://twitter.com/CHueyBurnsRCP/status/634358200641396736
So Bush went there and is backtracking a little, saying Cruz and Rubio are benefactors of birthright citizenship.
mencken
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2015, 09:54:12 AM »

https://twitter.com/CHueyBurnsRCP/status/634358200641396736
So Bush went there and is backtracking a little, saying Cruz and Rubio are benefactors of birthright citizenship.

Cruz was born in Canada to an American citizen, so he could not be further from the truth.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2015, 09:56:06 AM »

Trump is literally going to bend Jeb over his knee and give him a spanking at the end of this.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2015, 10:22:06 AM »

What is really fascinating here is that despite Donald Trump being the front-runner, Hillary Clinton is attacking Jeb Bush.

I am pretty sure, at this point, that Trump doing what he is doing for the benefit of Hillary Clinton. His job is to screw the GOP by making the word Republican dirty in every Hispanic household in the country, and than stay as a growling presence in the race, making sure nobody forgets. Clinton is not expecting Trump to be in the GE - perhaps, she actually knows smthg.
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2015, 12:45:56 PM »

What is really fascinating here is that despite Donald Trump being the front-runner, Hillary Clinton is attacking Jeb Bush.

I am pretty sure, at this point, that Trump doing what he is doing for the benefit of Hillary Clinton. His job is to screw the GOP by making the word Republican dirty in every Hispanic household in the country, and than stay as a growling presence in the race, making sure nobody forgets. Clinton is not expecting Trump to be in the GE - perhaps, she actually knows smthg.

I love that we can ascribe all sorts of conspiracy to the Clintons; Trump being a Clinton plant, the BLM protesters at Bernie events being connected to the Clinton machine, etc., and nobody bats an eye. Like, I could totally believe that Trump is doing this in part to get a favor from Clinton.
hopper
United States

« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2015, 12:54:04 PM »

Bush needs to deport his own wife and kid before anyone will take him seriously.
Um Bush's wife and his kids are here legally.
Mehmentum
Icefire9
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2015, 03:39:53 PM »

I love that we can ascribe all sorts of conspiracy to the Clintons; Trump being a Clinton plant, the BLM protesters at Bernie events being connected to the Clinton machine, etc., and nobody bats an eye. Like, I could totally believe that Trump is doing this in part to get a favor from Clinton.
Apparently Billary is the Illuminati.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies