Mitt's tax plan: Cut taxes for the rich, raise them on everyone else (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 09:50:13 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Mitt's tax plan: Cut taxes for the rich, raise them on everyone else (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Mitt's tax plan: Cut taxes for the rich, raise them on everyone else  (Read 13306 times)
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« on: August 09, 2012, 02:59:49 PM »

I'd like to point out that this threads title is highly misleading. He doesn't intend to raise taxes on everyone other than the rich, just slash entitlements.

This is false. He wants to gut the safety net because he doesn't care about average people (or couldn't be bothered to care), he wants to eliminate the deductions that help working people (like the mortgage deduction), and he wants to end the estate tax (which disproportionately benefits the wealthy). How is the thread title misleading again?

Because eliminating deductions and credits isn't the same thing as "raising taxes", even if a higher burden for some is the cumulative effect.

That is a ridiculous distinction. If he got his way, people at the very top would pay less, some a lot less, while people in the middle pay more. 'nuf said.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2012, 04:08:31 PM »

I don't see how. Let's say I make $30,000 a year, rent my residence, and make no use of any credits or exemptions aside from the standard personal exemption for my tax bracket. What does Romney's plan do to raise my taxes, exactly?

$30k/year renter doesn't put you "in the middle."
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies