What is the status of the new primary rules?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 04, 2024, 10:40:35 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  What is the status of the new primary rules?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What is the status of the new primary rules?  (Read 404 times)
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 28, 2010, 09:54:55 AM »

I know some stupid big-whigs in each party want to deny us political junkies the right of having elections in the first 11 months of the year, by starting the primaries other than Iowa, New Hampshire, South Carolina, and Nevada in March.  I was wondering the status of these new rules, because www.electoral-vote.com is acting like they are already a done deal, but I haven't heard it on here, yet.

NOTE:  I'm not really calling the big-whigs stupid, my tongue was in my cheek when I said that!!  I know the rest of America doesn't want elections for the first 11 months of the year.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2010, 07:26:17 PM »

I know some stupid big-whigs in each party want to deny us political junkies the right of having elections in the first 11 months of the year, by starting the primaries other than Iowa, New Hampshire, South Carolina, and Nevada in March.  I was wondering the status of these new rules, because www.electoral-vote.com is acting like they are already a done deal, but I haven't heard it on here, yet.

NOTE:  I'm not really calling the big-whigs stupid, my tongue was in my cheek when I said that!!  I know the rest of America doesn't want elections for the first 11 months of the year.

The new rules were designed to prevent states other than IA, NH, NV, and SC from voting earlier than the first week of March, but on the GOP side, the only penalties for going earlier are losing half your delegates if you go before first Tuesday of March and allocating delegates proportionally if you go before April 1.  So, in practice, many states will keep their February primaries and just take the penalties.  (Plus, the RNC chairman has the power to waive the penalties on a state-by-state basis.)  I had on thread on this a month or two ago with more details.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies