how would Jane Harman have fared had she won the governorship?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 05:52:04 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  how would Jane Harman have fared had she won the governorship?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: how would Jane Harman have fared had she won the governorship?  (Read 552 times)
freepcrusher
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 17, 2011, 12:27:16 AM »

What I mean is that she tried running for governor in 1998 but lost to Gray Davis (which shows we don't have the brightest primary voters). I always thought she had the tools to have executive success as governor. On fiscal issues, she isn't that liberal, so she possibly could have helped lure a lot of businesses, especially the creative class jobs, to California. She doesn't give you the whole populist bull---- that some other democrats give you. I think that had she won the governorship in 1998, she would have been a good presidential candidate in 04 or 08. It would be interesting to not only have the first female presidential candidate, but the first jewish presidential candidate. Does anyone think she would have been a good governor and possibly an eventual president?
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2011, 12:29:56 AM »

Gray Davis was supposed to be Presidential material, so I'm not sure that she would have done better. Maybe we'd be having a thread about how great Gray Davis could have been if primary voters had just chosen him.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2011, 11:02:43 PM »

Gray Davis was supposed to be Presidential material, so I'm not sure that she would have done better. Maybe we'd be having a thread about how great Gray Davis could have been if primary voters had just chosen him.

Every governor of California winds up being mentioned as -- or becoming -- a candidate for president.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2011, 01:30:37 AM »

Every governor of California winds up being mentioned as -- or becoming -- a candidate for president.

And yet there are just as many Presidents who've lost an election for Governor of California (Nixon) as former Governors (Reagan).
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2011, 02:39:05 AM »

And yet there are just as many Presidents who've lost an election for Governor of California (Nixon) as former Governors (Reagan).

And Jerry Brown tried to get the nomination 3 times, while the first student at Stanford was not a governor.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2011, 10:20:06 AM »

Lieberman/Harman 2004? Scary stuff.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2011, 04:04:32 PM »

Lieberman/Harman 2004? Scary stuff.

I, of course, would have voted for the more Progressive option (Bush/Cheney).
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies