Any prospects for more non Democrat or Republican senators?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 07:56:06 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Any prospects for more non Democrat or Republican senators?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Any prospects for more non Democrat or Republican senators?  (Read 2745 times)
Jacobtm

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 21, 2007, 12:24:20 PM »
« edited: August 21, 2007, 12:28:01 PM by Jacobtm »

So, last year was nice in that 2 people were elected to the Senate without having a (D) or (R) after their name. True they caucus with the Democrats, but Lieberman is hardly beholden to the Democratic leadership, and Sanders would gladly vote against the Democrats if they weren't behaving to his liking.

So is there a chance of anyone who isn't a Democrat or a Republican becoming a Senator in '08? What about a HOR member?

Really, I'm hoping that if a few more North-Eastern or west coast far-left people get elected, they might coalesce into an effective party that might actually contest elections where Democrats are presumed to have pre-eminence. I doubt something like that could happen on the Republican side, but it'd be great to see it if it could happen.
Padfoot
padfoot714
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: -6.96

« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2007, 01:52:24 AM »

It would be nice if we could get some more libertarian minded Republicans in the Senate who aren't beholden to religious special interests.
Jacobtm

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2007, 09:41:51 AM »

It would be nice if we could get some more libertarian minded Republicans in the Senate who aren't beholden to religious special interests.
It'd be nice to get people of an actual broad range of beliefs, or at least people beholden to a broad range of influences...
CPT MikeyMike
mikeymike
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.58, S: -3.30

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2007, 10:04:20 AM »

As much I hope this happens, I am not holding my breath on that happening anytime soon.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2007, 10:14:58 AM »

Depends what you mean by that, 100 Ron Pauls or 100 Linc Chafee are very different things
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2007, 10:54:03 AM »

Well, I don't believe we've had libertarians in the Senate for quite a while.

As for the original question, this could only really happen in a small state, meaning that this shoudn't happen in TX, MN, MI, IL, VA, NC, GA, NJ, or MA. Also, some of the remaining states will be a safe hold for the incumbent, such as ID, WY, MT, KS, OK, IA, TN, MS, AL, SC, WV, DE, and RI.

That leaves AK, OR, NE, SD, CO, NM, AR, NH, or ME. Or course, it's pretty obvious that SD, CO, NM, and AR won't elect an independent anytime soon, leaving AK, OR, NE, NH, or ME to be the one.

bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2007, 05:25:10 PM »

Cindy Sheehan!

Just kidding. Definitely no Senators and I highly doubt any Representatives.
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -6.09

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2007, 06:11:08 PM »

Depends what you mean by that, 100 Ron Pauls or 100 Linc Chafee are very different things

100 Lincoln Chafees > 100 Ron Pauls
sethm0

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2007, 08:04:31 PM »

An independent run  by Linc Chafee would have real traction in RI, but only if he promised to caucus with the Dems. He could potentially beat Whitehouse under those circumstances. If Reed were tapped for a cabinet post in a Democratic administration, he could also take that seat.

This scenario has a lot of ifs though - if Reed leaves or Whitehouse can't win re-election, if Chafee decides to run for Senate again, if he runs as an independent and if he promises to caucus with the Dems. Nevertheless, it could happen.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2007, 10:31:54 PM »

An independent run  by Linc Chafee would have real traction in RI, but only if he promised to caucus with the Dems. He could potentially beat Whitehouse under those circumstances. If Reed were tapped for a cabinet post in a Democratic administration, he could also take that seat.

This scenario has a lot of ifs though - if Reed leaves or Whitehouse can't win re-election, if Chafee decides to run for Senate again, if he runs as an independent and if he promises to caucus with the Dems. Nevertheless, it could happen.

I think Whitehouse would have to screw up for that to happen. Chafee is loved, but not so loved that Rhode Island would boot out a relatively popular, if one-term, incumbent to get him back in the Senate. If Reed vacates his seat, though, Chafee would be easily favored as an independent over any Democrat and would also be easily favored in the Democratic primary should he choose to run as one. I don't think he'd even have to pledge to caucus with the Democrats, just pledge not to caucus with the Republicans.
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2007, 09:11:21 AM »

100 Lincoln Chafees > 100 Ron Pauls

^^
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2007, 03:44:39 PM »

I don't think he'd even have to pledge to caucus with the Democrats, just pledge not to caucus with the Republicans.

A Senator, who is not caucusing with any of the two main parties is entirely useless. Somebody would have to yield him committee assignments, speaking times, etc. If he is truly independent in terms of Senate organizaton, that means his influence is sharply reduced.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2007, 03:48:28 PM »
« Edited: August 29, 2007, 03:50:37 PM by ○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└ »

Lieberman is toast in 2012.

As for those who want non religious right Republicans, it should be noted that the Republican party helped Lieberman defeat such a Republican in 1988, Senator Lowell Weicker. He's not a Republican any more; that branch of the Republican part is dead. George HW Bush's brother had challenged him in the 1982 primary.
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2007, 03:58:02 PM »

Lieberman is toast in 2012.

As for those who want non religious right Republicans, it should be noted that the Republican party helped Lieberman defeat such a Republican in 1988, Senator Lowell Weicker.

Ugh. Sadly true.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies