Future of Greece (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 08, 2024, 01:25:59 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Future of Greece (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Which do you think will happen?
Greece will leave the Eurozone

Greece will get major concessions.

Greece will get minor concessions.

The status quo.

Other (specify below)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 46

Author Topic: Future of Greece  (Read 2082 times)
angus
Atlas Icon
« on: January 28, 2015, 02:33:48 PM »

I voted for the first option a couple of days ago without thinking much about it, but this morning I had a conversation with a Greek colleague about this.  She had spoken with her mother, who lives in Greece, on the telephone yesterday and they talked of this topic at some length.  What I found most striking is that she used the phrased "kicked out of" the eurozone rather than the phrase "exiting" the eurozone.  She also talked quite a bit about the Church, which apparently has enough holdings to pay off the entire national debt.  Anyway, she and her mother favor major concessions over all other alternatives.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2015, 08:28:24 PM »

The real question is would they rather get minor concessions or leave the Eurozone entirely?

I agree.  

I wouldn't put too much stock in an unscientific poll of yankees who value political fora over having social lives, and I wouldn't put too much stock in one data point gathered by one obnoxious yankee from a green card-holding permanent US resident from Greece.  

I am a little bit sympathetic toward the greeks given the fact that the interest rates suggested are so high compared to most other rates of return nowadays.  Portugal seems a little on the high side as well, but that's probably best reserved for another thread.

I do think that if I were Greek I'd rather have a drachma that my own government could at least partially control.  Then again, I also think that if I were German I'd rather have a Deutschesmark that my own government could at least partially control, so you may not want to take my opinion too seriously.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies