Most conservative urban area
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 06, 2024, 09:07:06 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Most conservative urban area
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Which is the most conservative urban area in the U.S.?
south Boston

northeast Philadelphia

northwest and southwest Chicago

Staten Island

other (please specify)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 24

Author Topic: Most conservative urban area  (Read 4275 times)
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 03, 2004, 05:43:07 PM »

I'd say northwest/southwest Chicago.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2004, 06:31:09 PM »

It's great to see Northeast Philadelphia listed Smiley

Of those choices I'd have to say either NE Philly or Staten Island.
weallbleed
Rookie

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2004, 07:27:57 PM »

None. It'd be the white areas of Dallas or Houston.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2004, 08:09:57 PM »

Tampa Proper and the Tampa Bay area for sure.
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2004, 08:21:00 PM »

None. It'd be the white areas of Dallas or Houston.

I didn't include those, since white areas of Dallas, Houston, Phoenix, etc., tend to be quite suburban even if within the city limits.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2004, 09:03:39 PM »

I know my buddy KeystonePhil would like to think NE Philly, but not even close.  Keystone, even our most conservative section, Fox Chase, doesn't compare to some Southern, midwestern or Interior Western cities.  Unions and sympathies for still run strong here and on the economic compass, I would be willing to bet the average score would be between a -2 and -4.  Socially, I am a bit to the left of my neighborhood, I'll admit, but I'd say NE Philly is moderate conservative socially largely because of older residents.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2004, 02:21:34 PM »

I know my buddy KeystonePhil would like to think NE Philly, but not even close.  Keystone, even our most conservative section, Fox Chase, doesn't compare to some Southern, midwestern or Interior Western cities. 

Ok, ok... compared to most southern and western urban areas, we aren't as conservative. However, of those listed, I think it's fair to say we are one of the more conservative areas.
NYGOP
nygop
Rookie

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2004, 02:37:27 PM »

All of those places are economically liberal, with maybe the exception of the Chicago burbs.

Definately the most socially conservative area listed is South Boston. But it is also the most economically liberal on the list.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2004, 02:02:08 AM »

I know my buddy KeystonePhil would like to think NE Philly, but not even close.  Keystone, even our most conservative section, Fox Chase, doesn't compare to some Southern, midwestern or Interior Western cities. 

Ok, ok... compared to most southern and western urban areas, we aren't as conservative. However, of those listed, I think it's fair to say we are one of the more conservative areas.

I'll agree with you there with the exception of maybe Staten Island.  Unions are not as strong there. 
struct310
Rookie

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2004, 12:38:03 PM »

probably Indianapolis, IN, Spokane, WA, or Phoenix
TheBulldog
Rookie

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2004, 01:10:37 PM »

Staten Island... SO many dumb conservatives
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2004, 01:39:01 PM »

Northeast Philadelphia as well.  They get NO economic benefit from them yet proudly display Bush/Cheney and Melissa Brown signs on their front lawns.  I find some of them think that by voting them their neighborhood will somehow be better and they're "not the party of the blacks."  Want proof: http://www.farnortheast.com.  Check out the left hand column and scroll down.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2004, 02:09:55 PM »
« Edited: October 05, 2004, 02:29:29 PM by Keystone Phil »

Northeast Philadelphia as well.  They get NO economic benefit from them yet proudly display Bush/Cheney and Melissa Brown signs on their front lawns.  I find some of them think that by voting them their neighborhood will somehow be better and they're "not the party of the blacks."  Want proof: http://www.farnortheast.com.  Check out the left hand column and scroll down.

Knock it off, IrishDem. You know very well what they mean when they say "Save your city." I'm so tired of your party saying we are using race as an issue to gain support. We want to save our city from the folks in City Hall who obviously aren't paying attention to our needs. It's amazing how I don't hear complaints from the Dems when a certain Mayor says "The brothers and sisters are running the city."

And actually many do benefit economically from the GOP plans. I think something else you fail to realize is that people aren't members of a political party just for economic purposes.
Defarge

Political Matrix
E: -3.13, S: -0.72

« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2004, 08:28:33 PM »

Staten Island
No more McShame
FuturePrez R-AZ

« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2004, 01:48:16 AM »

Phoenix, Maricopa Cty is considered a Republican stronghold.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2004, 03:31:05 AM »

Knock it off, IrishDem. You know very well what they mean when they say "Save your city." I'm so tired of your party saying we are using race as an issue to gain support. We want to save our city from the folks in City Hall who obviously aren't paying attention to our needs. It's amazing how I don't hear complaints from the Dems when a certain Mayor says "The brothers and sisters are running the city."

And actually many do benefit economically from the GOP plans. I think something else you fail to realize is that people aren't members of a political party just for economic purposes.

Please enlighten me what then are people members of a political party for?  Why do you and so many Northeast Philly Republicans think your party is going to magically save us?  Actually, I think that "Save your City" thing is a joke.  Yes, I was unhappy over the "brotha and sista" comment myself, but I'm not as dumb as other NE Conservatives that overreact and automatically vote for Bush and Brown.  I actually look to each candidate and make an opinion if you haven't noticed already.  I'm sorry I'm making you angry Keystone, but the logic behind the local GOP is flawed and needs retooling.  You can't guilt trip me with garbage like Section 8 and Street to get me to vote the way you want me too.  They're weak arguments chief.  I'm not a dog.  It does anger me that there are working people in Mayfair that ask "How high?" when John Perzel says to jump.  I'm being blunt here.  I do not hate the people of Mayfair.  I actually feel they are being used as pawns over Section 8 housing.  the Perzel-Brown machine is working on these people and they have no idea what's hitting them.           
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2004, 05:49:15 AM »

Please enlighten me what then are people members of a political party for?  Why do you and so many Northeast Philly Republicans think your party is going to magically save us?  Actually, I think that "Save your City" thing is a joke.  Yes, I was unhappy over the "brotha and sista" comment myself, but I'm not as dumb as other NE Conservatives that overreact and automatically vote for Bush and Brown.  I actually look to each candidate and make an opinion if you haven't noticed already.  I'm sorry I'm making you angry Keystone, but the logic behind the local GOP is flawed and needs retooling.  You can't guilt trip me with garbage like Section 8 and Street to get me to vote the way you want me too.  They're weak arguments chief.  I'm not a dog.  It does anger me that there are working people in Mayfair that ask "How high?" when John Perzel says to jump.  I'm being blunt here.  I do not hate the people of Mayfair.  I actually feel they are being used as pawns over Section 8 housing.  the Perzel-Brown machine is working on these people and they have no idea what's hitting them.           

What are the political parties for? Well all I said was that they aren't in existence just for economic reasons.

You're not making me mad with your arguments, IrishDem. They only demonstrate how you want to tie everything to race. I seriously believe you try to find ways to do that. And then when you are asked to explain something, you can't do it. Perfect example: Stack (D) said if to were up to him, he'd outlaw the program. But when Brown (R) calls for reform, suddenly she's the one playing the race card. It doesn't work with the voters up here. Hope that doesn't get you too angry...

As for the Section 8 issue, I will say it again: The people of Mayfair and other areas of the Northeast want the issue discussed. Do you mean to tell me that if Perzel and Brown weren't running for office that Section 8 wouldn't be an issue? If you are, you're pretty foolish.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2004, 10:13:40 AM »

Thing is here I have the ability to sort it out as to who I want representing me in Washington.  You do as well.  You are an unapologetic "Club for Growth" conservative who knows what agenda they want.  Thing is I KNOW most of those people in Mayfair are not.  Many are pro-union, anti-tax cut for the rich, complain about privatization of SSI and outsourcing of US jobs yet at the same time will proudly put up a Melissa Brownshirt sign.  How do you really know Melissa Brown will be any different on the Section 8 issue than Allyson Schwartz?  I can't objectively tell you either.  What I do know is it has to be the effort of MANY in Congress.  We are not the only city with that problem Keystone.  Let me ask you this.. how come with a Republican White house and both Houses of Congress Section 8 is not curbed or eliminated? 

As I have said all along Section 8 is a problem in the Northeast.  Never denied it, never will.  The problem for you is at least on here is I am far from a Club for Growth Republican and I'm not even a DINO for that matter.  I will NEVER vote for Melissa Brown, Rick Santorum, or George Bush.  You and the GOP can wedge others in Northeast Philly, but unfortunately for you, it's going to be a lot tougher with me on here. 
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2004, 12:49:39 PM »

other: Jacksonville, Florida
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2004, 01:00:45 PM »

Other: Tulsa and Oklahoma City.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2004, 09:03:31 PM »
« Edited: October 07, 2004, 09:06:20 PM by J. J. »

San Diego comes to mind, the "Land o' Pete Wilson."  The acually had restaurants there that didn't admit women for lunch until 1969.
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2004, 09:26:15 PM »

Jacksonville is not urban--it has a large population only because it has the highest land area in the continental U.S.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2004, 09:36:45 PM »

Jacksonville is not urban--it has a large population only because it has the highest land area in the continental U.S.

How do you want to define urban.  It has almost 800,000 people and the downtown area has some large buildings and a financial center.  Granted many people live on the fringes of the city but a lot of cities are like that i.e. Charlotte, N.C. would also not be considered urban by that definition
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2004, 10:01:39 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

You really are such an angry person that you must result to stuff like that. Ridiculous.

How do I know? Because she hasn't backed down. She has been called every name in the book but still knows this is an important issue up here. Schwartz put out a press release....Brown actually talks to the voters about this issue and campaigns on it.

We haven't had a member of Congress that will fight for reform from a problem area. In many areas of this country, the Section 8 program is under better control than Philadelphia's Section 8.  

Good for you. Sometimes I think you want a medal everytime you say that. Really...I honestly don't care. I tried to help you see the good things about Brown and her message, but you are so set against it that it's useless now. Funny how a couple months ago you seriously considered here.

yeah because while you've been on here you have given some GREAT arguments with tons of facts. Yeah right. How about that Stack quote, IrishDem? You have ignored it time and time again...I'm waiting for your comment on it.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies