Gay marriage opponents' strategy uncertain in 2015 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 03, 2024, 07:48:57 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Gay marriage opponents' strategy uncertain in 2015 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Gay marriage opponents' strategy uncertain in 2015  (Read 19535 times)
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« on: April 22, 2015, 03:59:14 PM »

The key thing now will be to see if there will be any exemptions allowed in society to a genderless definition of marriage. Will clergy who refuse to perform same-sex marriages be able to keep their ability to solemnize vows in the eyes of the state? I could see that changing in the next couple years.

Yes. If it is perfectly legal for clergy to refuse to participate in marriages that offend their values (one preacher that I know does not perform weddings in which the couple has cohabitated before the marriage within the previous year), it would be legal for clergy to refuse to participate in a same-sex wedding. Many are known to refuse to perform an interfaith wedding. Between a 90-year-old man and an 18-year woman? I'd have bigger problems with that than same sex.   

The policy is set in part by a denomination, so one might have to ask of a denomination.  I would guess that most Christian denominations would terminate the ordination of any preacher who refused to participate in a wedding solely because the participants are of different race.

There are civil weddings. Such is an alternative if local preachers object. 
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2015, 08:23:04 PM »

A record-high 6 in 10 Americans support same-sex marriage and a similar share say individual states should not be allowed to define marriage as only between a man and a woman, according to a new Washington Post-ABC News poll.

Q: Overall, do you support or oppose allowing gays and lesbians to marry legally?

Support 61%

Oppose 35%

Q: Overall, do you support or oppose allowing individual states to prohibit same-sex marriages?

Support 36%

Oppose 61%

Q: Overall, do you support or oppose requiring states to recognize same-sex marriages performed legally in other states?

Support 62%

Oppose 35%

http://www.washingtonpost.com/page/2010-2019/WashingtonPost/2015/04/23/National-Politics/Polling/release_395.xml

(The political capital for opposing SSM is gone. There's nothing to exploit).

pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2015, 08:46:54 AM »

We could see something big tomorrow. I am convinced that the Supreme Court will make the decision national quickly. Federal rulings tend to apply to all states unless something very specific relates to one state or a few, as on voting rights.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies