Democrats: What would you do about Gorsuch?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 06:10:49 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Democrats: What would you do about Gorsuch?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: What is your plan for Gorsuch?
Filibuster

No filibuster, but vote him down

Vote in favor of him

Not a Democrat

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 72

Author Topic: Democrats: What would you do about Gorsuch?  (Read 1093 times)
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2017, 09:24:41 PM »

Filibuster until cloture is invoked or there isn't a filibuster any more.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2017, 09:40:29 PM »

Let's not keep escalating this, or we won't have a government.

If you were genuinely outraged over Garland... Trump is many things, but he wasn't one of those blocking Garland.

Let's not become hypocrites.

Instead of progressives getting a sudden surprise majority, we are keeping the ideological status quo. Not the end of the world.

Spoken like a spineless Dem.

It's not spineless.

It's being the party of good governance. Of responsible adults.

Republicans are the party of obstruction, and they get away with it because they always talk about how bad government is and how it should be cut.

Not only that, what do you say to the charge of hypocrisy?

If Gorsuch was, like, a member of the American Nazi Party, or talked about abolishing the Supreme Court, that would be one thing. But he seems to be inside the mainstream.

I know how to fight. But I also know when to fight.

If Democrats don't put up a fight, don't think for a second they will earn even a sliver of respect from McConnell and Co. The scenario where Democrats continue to be responsible adults and Republicans are shamed into doing the same is a complete fantasy. I'm tired of believing in it, so are most Democrats.

Shake a Republicans hand, and the last thing you'll hear is a whispered "Lol get cucked libtard" as he stabs you in the back.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2017, 09:41:18 PM »
« Edited: January 31, 2017, 09:42:58 PM by Blue3 »

Should we really take that risk for some short-term feel-good showmanship?

I want to fight Trump and the Republicans and fight hard, such as on the refugee/immigrant/travel ban. That's probably the worst thing he's done so far when it comes to official policy put forth as President, I think we can all agree. Yet we are LOSING at the polls on that key issue. If we can't yet get people to rally with us on that, I think a move like this could really come back to haunt us.

edit:

We're NEVER going to get their respect, fight or not. And of course shaming doesn't work, I never expected it would over the last 8 years. This is about putting those childish things behind us. We have bigger things to focus on.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2017, 09:50:21 PM »

If Democrats don't put up a fight, don't think for a second they will earn even a sliver of respect from McConnell and Co. The scenario where Democrats continue to be responsible adults and Republicans are shamed into doing the same is a complete fantasy. I'm tired of believing in it, so are most Democrats.

Shake a Republicans hand, and the last thing you'll hear is a whispered "Lol get cucked libtard" as he stabs you in the back.

If we're playing by prison yard rules you don't filibuster, you deck the biggest, toughest guy there. Chuck Schumer's strategy should be to punch John Thune in the nose. Then McConnell will have to respect the Democrats and let them lift weights in the yard or whatever.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2017, 09:53:08 PM »

Should we really take that risk for some short-term feel-good showmanship?

I want to fight Trump and the Republicans and fight hard, such as on the refugee/immigrant/travel ban. That's probably the worst thing he's done so far when it comes to official policy put forth as President, I think we can all agree. Yet we are LOSING at the polls on that key issue. If we can't yet get people to rally with us on that, I think a move like this could really come back to haunt us.

edit:

We're NEVER going to get their respect, fight or not. And of course shaming doesn't work, I never expected it would over the last 8 years. This is about putting those childish things behind us. We have bigger things to focus on.

What "fights" do you suggest the Democrats pick, and how do you suggest fighting them?
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2017, 09:55:15 PM »

Won't matter, he'll sail through and seeing the GOP worrying about a second Souter is an absolute joke.

Maybe get a Justice who says he'll overturn Texas v. White if you're that worried.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2017, 10:00:09 PM »

On policy issues that actually hurt people (who, how many, how, why, etc.), and prioritize from there.

Like I said, that ban is the big thing so far. If the "deporting legal immigrants on Medicaid" thing happens, then that would be another one.

An appointment by itself isn't an issue like this, unless they're Joker-class. If Bannon and Flynn needed Senate confirmation, I'd be for blocking them. But the people who wanted to block Mattis? No.

The Wall is stupid and expensive, but not in the hundreds of billions and doesn't actively hurt anyone. This Ban does, and so would any mass deportation beyond criminals.

We aren't in power. If we keep expending energy and keep losing, the base will be discouraged. If we pick battles wisely, then we may actually win some of them, and give us momentum.

And when we do pick a fight, we fight with everything we've got, breaking all precedent if we have to, by tooth and nail we fight until we win or we die.
JGibson
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.00, S: -6.50

« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2017, 10:02:53 PM »

#FilibusterGorsuch. The seat was stolen from Merrick Garland.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #33 on: January 31, 2017, 10:06:08 PM »

On policy issues that actually hurt people (who, how many, how, why, etc.), and prioritize from there.

Like I said, that ban is the big thing so far. If the "deporting legal immigrants on Medicaid" thing happens, then that would be another one.

An appointment by itself isn't an issue like this, unless they're Joker-class. If Bannon and Flynn needed Senate confirmation, I'd be for blocking them. But the people who wanted to block Mattis? No.

The Wall is stupid and expensive, but not in the hundreds of billions and doesn't actively hurt anyone. This Ban does, and so would any mass deportation beyond criminals.

We aren't in power. If we keep expending energy and keep losing, the base will be discouraged. If we pick battles wisely, then we may actually win some of them, and give us momentum.

And when we do pick a fight, we fight with everything we've got, breaking all precedent if we have to, by tooth and nail we fight until we win or we die.

All due respect, but people like you are why no one takes the Democratic Party seriously.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #34 on: January 31, 2017, 10:12:25 PM »

How?

People are sick of Washington games and gridlock. That's why enough people wanted Trump to go in with a sledgehammer.

We are out of power. Public opinion might not personally approve of Trump, but on the biggest policy controversy so far (the ban or whatever you call it), we are losing in public opinion even with it being so high-profile with high-profile protests.

We need to spell out when Republican policies will hurt people, and do all we can to stop the hurt.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #35 on: January 31, 2017, 10:12:37 PM »

I cannot think of anything that would discourage the base more than saying "Y'know what, this wall thing isn't really a big deal. Let's just roll over". You're about as in touch with the party base as David Brock is.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #36 on: January 31, 2017, 10:14:16 PM »

I'm not saying roll over on the Wall. But at the end of the day, it's a symbol, and shouldn't be given highest priority, something we're willing to break precedent and escalate things for.

Like I just said:

People are sick of Washington games and gridlock. That's why enough people wanted Trump to go in with a sledgehammer.

We are out of power. Public opinion might not personally approve of Trump, but on the biggest policy controversy so far (the ban or whatever you call it), we are losing in public opinion even with it being so high-profile with high-profile protests.

We need to spell out when Republican policies will hurt people, and do all we can to stop the hurt.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #37 on: January 31, 2017, 10:16:56 PM »

"People are sick of gridlock. Which is why they rewarded the party causing the gridlock."
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #38 on: January 31, 2017, 10:17:19 PM »

#FilibusterGorsuch. The seat was stolen from Merrick Garland.

#FilibusterKennedy. The seat was stolen from Robert Bork.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #39 on: January 31, 2017, 10:19:30 PM »

Why I hate the GOP, in two quotes:

Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #40 on: January 31, 2017, 10:20:19 PM »

"People are sick of gridlock. Which is why they rewarded the party causing the gridlock."
Not everyone follows politics like us, or understands government. So many blamed Obama. It's why we also need a civics education overhaul.

They chose Trump not because he was a Republican, but because he was a smasher, a stinkbomb, they could throw in DC for not getting what they wanted from government.

edit: There's lots of hypocritical Democrats too.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #41 on: January 31, 2017, 10:23:20 PM »

Yes. Republicans are gross, slimy, disgusting creepy crawlies. Why act like a gross, slimy, disgusting creepy crawly that you admittedly hate?
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #42 on: January 31, 2017, 10:26:16 PM »

Yes. Republicans are gross, slimy, disgusting creepy crawlies. Why act like a gross, slimy, disgusting creepy crawly that you admittedly hate?
Because we a sick of constantly being punished for being the adults in the room
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #43 on: January 31, 2017, 10:30:54 PM »

Because apparently it's endearing to America's heartland, and the other way doesn't work.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #44 on: January 31, 2017, 10:41:31 PM »

I want to believe that there's another way to push back against Congressional Republicans and Trump. However, the election we just had suggests differently, and Trump isn't wasting any time with his new power. Sometimes, you have no choice but to fight fire with fire, much as it pains me to say this.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #45 on: January 31, 2017, 10:53:34 PM »

In regards to the "Can political discourse go on like this forever?" debate, I've been thinking about this quote a lot lately:

I've been thinking the latter half of Lincoln's ultimatum is very very likely. Sooner than we think.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies