The Imperial Dominion of the South's Legislature
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 01:02:05 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  The Imperial Dominion of the South's Legislature
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 44 45 46 [47] 48 49 50 51 52 ... 170
Author Topic: The Imperial Dominion of the South's Legislature  (Read 301020 times)
Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1150 on: February 20, 2011, 04:08:19 PM »

You know you did something wrong when you confused Kal
Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1151 on: February 21, 2011, 08:58:36 PM »
« Edited: February 21, 2011, 10:04:19 PM by tb75 »

Now, with the childishness out of the way, i now present  a bill.:

High School Sports Injury Prevention Act:

1.   Each athlete who wants to play Football must be fitted for a knee brace.  Any other athlete in other sports who want one must tell the school's athletic director

2.   If an athlete is injured, regardless of being in a game or practice will be taken in an ambulance to a local hospital.

3.   In order to return to play,  the player must be cleared by an orthopedic doctor.
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1152 on: February 21, 2011, 09:02:29 PM »

Auto-nay.  I run track.  Trust me, running in a knee brace is no fun.
Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1153 on: February 21, 2011, 09:05:22 PM »

Now, with the childishness out of the way, i now present  a bill.:

1.   Each athlete regardless of sport, will be fitted with a custom knee brace. These braces prevent knee injuries, which is the most common sport injury among young athletes.

2.   If an athlete is injured, regardless of being in a game or practice will be taken in an ambulance to a local hospital.

3.   In order to return to play,  the player must be cleared by an orthopedic doctor.

The reason why I created this bill is to bring attention to a growing danger that many athletes, including myself has been dealing with. While the whole part with the braces may cost a little bit of money, but in the long run saves thousands of dollars familes spend on surgery, and rehabiltation.

Please take this into mind when you are debating and voting for this bill. Imagine if you could not do something you love to do, just because no one cares enough to help. That is what this bill would do if passed.
Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1154 on: February 21, 2011, 09:06:30 PM »

Well, i have had too knee surgeries and that is no fun. While it may limit athletes it is saving thousands of dollars for families in the long run
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1155 on: February 21, 2011, 09:08:32 PM »

Well, i have had too knee surgeries and that is no fun. While it may limit athletes it is saving thousands of dollars for families in the long run
If people would stretch properly and coaches were smart about what they made their athletes do, this would be nearly as big of a problem.  A good alternative would be raising the hiring standards of coaches.  No more stories of high school freshman dying at summer football camp, please.

I still oppose knee braces on the grounds that they are unnecessary for the vast majority of athletes.  Out of curiosity, what sport do you play?
Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1156 on: February 21, 2011, 09:10:31 PM »

If people would stretch properly and coaches were smart about what they made their athletes do, this would be nearly as big of a problem.  A good alternative would be raising the hiring standards of coaches.  No more stories of high school freshman dying at summer football camp, please.

I still oppose knee braces on the grounds that they are unnecessary for the vast majority of athletes.  Out of curiosity, what sport do you play?

Football. I  was a deffensive lineman for 4 years. BTW, this has nothing to do with deaths
Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1157 on: February 21, 2011, 09:23:38 PM »

That would be a slow game because it is hard to run with knee braces on...

And if they are seriously injured then of course they will be taken in an ambulance to a hospital...what are we going to do...leave them at the game or practice hurt without giving them any help? lol

When i was hurt I never got any help, neither did any other athlete at my school. College players have braces on and they do fine. You never played athletics, so you have no mouth to run
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1158 on: February 21, 2011, 09:29:57 PM »

Football. I  was a deffensive lineman for 4 years. BTW, this has nothing to do with deaths
Cool.  And yeah, I kind of got carried away there.

I agree, injuries do need to be handled better.  I just don't think this is the right way to go about it.  I would support athletes playing certain positions on football teams to where mandatory knee braces but with many sport this has no real benefits and a lot of drawbacks.  Consider the catcher in baseball who is already covered in pads or the sprinter who can't afford to be slowed down by it.

This is one of those situations where a blanket approach will not work.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
What sport do you play?
Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1159 on: February 21, 2011, 09:34:24 PM »

Cool.  And yeah, I kind of got carried away there.

I agree, injuries do need to be handled better.  I just don't think this is the right way to go about it.  I would support athletes playing certain positions on football teams to where mandatory knee braces but with many sport this has no real benefits and a lot of drawbacks.  Consider the catcher in baseball who is already covered in pads or the sprinter who can't afford to be slowed down by it.

What sport do you play?

My school is awfully and helping injured athletes. The trainer does not even know what to do. Anyway, I can edit the law for just certain sports
Mr. Taft Republican
Taft4Prez
United States

« Reply #1160 on: February 21, 2011, 09:37:02 PM »

If the humble Viceroy may offer his opinion....

I play track as well, and my mile is bad enough, so I would oppose the first clause out of hand. I realize the necessity to make it an option, but why make it mandatory?

As for the second one, I could agree. At my schools football games there is always an ambulance, I thought that was standard practice, if it isn't it should definitely be remedied.

The third one....yeah that makes sense.
Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1161 on: February 21, 2011, 09:45:36 PM »

Cool.  And yeah, I kind of got carried away there.

I agree, injuries do need to be handled better.  I just don't think this is the right way to go about it.  I would support athletes playing certain positions on football teams to where mandatory knee braces but with many sport this has no real benefits and a lot of drawbacks.  Consider the catcher in baseball who is already covered in pads or the sprinter who can't afford to be slowed down by it.

What sport do you play?

My school is awfully and helping injured athletes. The trainer does not even know what to do. Anyway, I can edit the law for just certain sports
I just think its a shame the fact that some of this childish behaivor in this legislature recently could affect politics in the next month or so is a shame...lets just focus on debating the issues and fighting for the people that we represent and that sent us here...and drop this childish back and forth behaivor...

What does that got to do with anything?
Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1162 on: February 21, 2011, 09:46:23 PM »

How about this, I will pull the bill re-edit it, and then star over. How does that sound?
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1163 on: February 21, 2011, 09:53:25 PM »

I play track as well, and my mile is bad enough, so I would oppose the first clause out of hand. I realize the necessity to make it an option, but why make it mandatory?

As for the second one, I could agree. At my schools football games there is always an ambulance, I thought that was standard practice, if it isn't it should definitely be remedied.

The issue with making the brace optional is that in a sport that emphasizes speed such as track, there is no way that anyone would volunteer to handicap themselves in such a fashion. If you want to go that route, I'd suggest having two different classes of competition: one with a brace & one without a brace.
Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1164 on: February 21, 2011, 09:55:50 PM »

The issue with making the brace optional is that in a sport that emphasizes speed such as track, there is no way that anyone would volunteer to handicap themselves in such a fashion. If you want to go that route, I'd suggest having two different classes of competition: one with a brace & one without a brace.

Well, looking back i should have changed it to a requirement for football, and an option for other sports
Mr. Taft Republican
Taft4Prez
United States

« Reply #1165 on: February 21, 2011, 10:01:39 PM »

Well, looking back i should have changed it to a requirement for football, and an option for other sports

Oh well, that's why the edit button was made Wink + Tongue
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1166 on: February 21, 2011, 10:04:51 PM »

Well, that depends on the position & the player. If you're a small, speedy halfback, having to wear a brace robs you of your competitive edge. Even if everyone else is handicapped in the same manner, you won't be nearly as good at outmaneuvering defenses when they have that much more time to react to your moves.
Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1167 on: February 21, 2011, 10:05:59 PM »

Well, that depends on the position & the player. If you're a small, speedy halfback, having to wear a brace robs you of your competitive edge. Even if everyone else is handicapped in the same manner, you won't be nearly as good at outmaneuvering defenses when they have that much more time to react to your moves.

I will re-edit and post a new bill tomorrow. I have no more time left tonight to do it
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1168 on: February 21, 2011, 10:10:08 PM »

I will re-edit and post a new bill tomorrow. I have no more time left tonight to do it

It's alright. I can't remember the last time all three Legislators, the Viceroy, & the Emperor have been this involved in debating a bill. Smiley
Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1169 on: February 22, 2011, 03:57:46 PM »

I would like to re-submit this bill:

1.   Any offensive or defensive lineman who play high school football must be fitted for a custom knee brace. Any other athlete will have an option for one.

3.   In order to return to play,  the player must be cleared by an orthopedic doctor.
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1170 on: February 22, 2011, 05:56:07 PM »

Much better.  I offer the below as a friendly amendment.  If anyone has any suggestions on how the region might pay for them (a sin tax, maybe?) please speak up.

Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1171 on: February 22, 2011, 06:15:36 PM »

Much better.  I offer the below as a friendly amendment.  If anyone has any suggestions on how the region might pay for them (a sin tax, maybe?) please speak up.

What sin taxes do we have?
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1172 on: February 22, 2011, 06:28:57 PM »

I think there is a tax on alcohol and tobacco along with a fee for getting a drivers license.  How about a sin tax on Marijuana since, according to PiT, pot is legal here.
Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1173 on: February 22, 2011, 06:34:08 PM »

I think there is a tax on alcohol and tobacco along with a fee for getting a drivers license.  How about a sin tax on Marijuana since, according to PiT, pot is legal here.

That could work, as along as everyone else agrees
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1174 on: February 22, 2011, 06:42:10 PM »

How is this?

Pages: 1 ... 42 43 44 45 46 [47] 48 49 50 51 52 ... 170  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies