Democrats work with insurance companies to defeat single-payer in CO (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 02:32:09 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Democrats work with insurance companies to defeat single-payer in CO (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Democrats work with insurance companies to defeat single-payer in CO  (Read 1315 times)
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

« on: May 22, 2016, 10:23:37 AM »
« edited: May 22, 2016, 10:26:31 AM by Virginia »

Personally, I'm worried that if this passes it will seriously hurt the Democratic party in Colorado if it fails. I don't think single-payer will really work on a state-by-state basis, especially for one like Colorado. If it fails after large debt and tax increases, it might just end up hurting the idea's future progress.

Of course, maybe it does work out in the end, but it is risky. I don't think objections here are entirely unfounded and for as much as politicians don't want to take risks, I think perhaps reformers might be willing to take too much risk.

Also, baking policy this consequential and large into the State Constitution right away, knowing the risk and before the idea has been tested is stupid as hell. What if there are core problems that can only be changed by a State Constitutional amendment and the people reject any critical future changes? It's not the right way to do this.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2016, 01:35:43 PM »

Single-payer is obviously great but 1) the requisite tax increases are scary/cause cold feet due to sticker shock for voters and 2) industry comes down powerfully to bear on/threaten democratic govs/legislatures.

And it might be better in America to do a transition with the public option first anyway.  That's why I'm pretty excited if cautiously optimistic about HRC's recent support for the public option.  I think that's exactly how to start and I would have much rather have had that than the mandate in '10.

I can see a lot of people getting in a fit if this measure is defeated. I don't think many are looking at this from a reasonable standpoint. They see it as a major priority getting defeated, whereas in reality it's probably best that single-payer isn't done state-by-state where huge costs threaten state finances and party strength in the state. Universal healthcare like this is really better if done nationwide - Everyone pooling their resources helps reduce the financial burden. I'm not sure any single state is truly capable of financing such a project all on its own without issues.

If this passes and fails horribly, it hurts the movement to transition to single-payer and may hurt Democratic prospects in Colorado for a few election cycles or so. That only sets us even further back in advancing progressive goals.

Edit: completely forgot I already posted something similar. oh well
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies